Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 160997 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #360 on: April 11, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Iceland has been experimenting quite successfully with hydrogen fuel cells in vehicles and at electrical generating plants.  It just hasn't been getting as much press as it should.  Read an article about Iceland's efforts in the hydrogen field HERE.

Also be sure to check out The National Hydrogen Association.  This technology is probably going to replace gas in your car eventually, provided the technology can be made widely avaiable.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:47 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 11, 2006, 11:51 PM »
Yeah but (without having read your link yet) isn't the knock on hydrogen that it requires oil to convert into usable fuel?  Which would sort of defeat the purpose to a degeee.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 12, 2006, 02:54 AM »
If we suddenly went 'cold turkey' on Gas powered Autos what would happen to all the American auto making companys? This world today seems to be about High priced gas sucking SUV's and many other types of autos that folks want to be 'different'..or because they're cool. I could totally see the automakers taking a huge blow initially if we suddenly had to convert to a boring same-as-everybody else alternate fuel vehicle-not to mention production would have to catch up to the demand for these vehicles if we quit..the oil. Sure they could catch up but I def. don't think it would be a smooth conversion.I wonder if that scenario would effect the US/world economy at all ::).  I believe there is technology today to have Gas vehicles that(even v8's) get a ton of MPG. They'll never be produced however, since it would hurt auto sales and Gas demands and oil company profits. Such is the world the way it is now..like Dressel says..and we just have to deal with it 'cause there's nothing we can do about it :(.   

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 12, 2006, 09:24 AM »
Exactly.

How do you supply 300 million Americans with new vehicles that utilize new technology at the drop of a hat?

Can you imagine the recalls?

Getting your car into a dealer would be just as difficult as getting in to see the doctor in Canada.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 12, 2006, 09:27 AM »
F*ck the Middle East and the conservative enviromentalists. I say we tap into our own resources in Alaska.

I think you mean "liberal" environmentalists.  Convervatives are all for drilling and minimizing our dependence on foreign oil and fat cat "princes."

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 12, 2006, 09:38 AM »
Exactly.

How do you supply 300 million Americans with new vehicles that utilize new technology at the drop of a hat?

Can you imagine the recalls?

Getting your car into a dealer would be just as difficult as getting in to see the doctor in Canada.

Who's suggesting that this could be done over-night?  Just because it is going to take a long time doesn't mean we should just forget about it.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 12, 2006, 09:39 AM »
F*ck the Middle East and the conservative enviromentalists. I say we tap into our own resources in Alaska.

I think you mean "liberal" environmentalists.  Convervatives are all for drilling and minimizing our dependence on foreign oil and fat cat "princes."

We've been doing pretty good so far, leave that stuff out of if - when he said conservative I read it in the traditional sense of the word conservative as in 'Favoring traditional views; tending to oppose change.'

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 12, 2006, 09:46 AM »
My bad - I guess traditional would've been a better word to use in that context.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 12, 2006, 10:33 AM »
No worries.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 12, 2006, 10:38 AM »

Who's suggesting that this could be done over-night?  Just because it is going to take a long time doesn't mean we should just forget about it.

Well, I'm not really suggesting that just kind of saying that it would certainly affect the world/US economy if we did it...even if it took a year. Well...I guess even in a year's time that would be alot like doing it overnite since it's been so many years of doing it the way we do now.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2006, 11:40 AM »
A year would be the same thing as overnight.  It will take decades, and for every job you'd lose in one sector, you'd create another in the clean-energy sector.  There are a few things stopping this from moving forward.

One of them is the oil lobbyists whispering in the ears of our elected officials.

The other is our elected officials short-sightedness.  I.E., they only think far enough in advance to pander to voters around re-relection time.

We need visionaries who aren't afraid to tell oil companies to shove it - and it isn't going to happen any time soon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 12:58 PM by Rob »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 12, 2006, 12:45 PM »
Right.

As I understand it, Senators receive generous pay for what they do.  The prices at the pumps really don't affect them like they do the working middle class.

There's so much corupt poltics going on, everyone is scared to make a stink about it. 

Anyone that can make a difference that is...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 12, 2006, 11:12 PM »
Yeah but (without having read your link yet) isn't the knock on hydrogen that it requires oil to convert into usable fuel?  Which would sort of defeat the purpose to a degeee.

It's an electrolytic process.  So it does require some electricity in order to process the raw materials, but there are a variety of means of generating the power to do so.  The catch being though that most electricity in the US is generated using dirty fuels like coal and oil.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2006, 10:33 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/12/magazines/fortune/pluggedin_fortune/index.htm?cnn=yes

Last week, Wisconsin Democratic Sen. Herb Kohl and Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Arlen Specter proposed legislation that would increase regulatory scrutiny of Big Oil, which Kohl says "has unquestionably enriched itself during this period of high prices."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:35 AM by Rob »

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 14, 2006, 10:39 PM »
Exxon is giving Lee Raymond one of the most generous retirement packages in history, nearly $400 million, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes.

Last November, when he was still chairman of Exxon, Raymond told Congress that gas prices were high because of global supply and demand.

"We're all in this together, everywhere in the world," he testified.

Raymond, however, was confronted with caustic complaints about his compensation.

"In 2004, Mr. Raymond, your bonus was over $3.6 million," Sen. Barbara Boxer said.

That was before new corporate documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission that revealed Raymond's retirement deal and his $51.1 million paycheck in 2005. That's equivalent to $141,000 a day, nearly $6,000 an hour. It's almost more than five times what the CEO of Chevron made.

"I think it will spark a lot of outrage," said Sarah Anderson, a fellow in the global economy program at the Institute for Policy Studies, an independent think tank. "Clearly much of his high-level pay is due to the high price of gas."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1841989&page=1