Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 161001 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #585 on: September 3, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Gas here has been dropping the past week since we hit $1.14 per litre awhile back. Average is now $09.91 per litre.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 4, 2006, 12:17 PM »
I'm guessing the recent drop in price is an election ploy. We'll see if it gets mentioned in campaign ads during the next two months.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 4, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I saw $2.43 yesterday.  Knock off another .75 or 1.00 then leave it that way and  I'll be happy.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 4, 2006, 06:06 PM »
hell... if it would just level off at $2/gallon i would be happy.  maybe even stock piling kinda happy.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 4, 2006, 07:28 PM »
It's funny because I remember back when it was outrageously high at 1.50, I was wanting it to go back down to 1.00.

Then a few years later when it was at 2.00, I was thinking that I'd be thrilled if it just leveled off at 1.50.

Now that it sat at 3.00 for so long, we're excited about the possibilities of 2.00 gas.

That's how they **** you.  This whole thing is probably just designed to make a ton of money at 3.00 then keep making twice as much money as 8 years ago when it goes 'down' to 2.00 - and we'll be thrilled about it.

« Last Edit: September 4, 2006, 07:29 PM by Rob »

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 4, 2006, 08:34 PM »
Gas prices over here dropped 11 cents today (from $2.89 to $2.78 per gallon)...Just happy to see the prices go down, I travel back and forth for work and gas costs come out of my own pocket. My company won't pay for anything and they don't care if I drive 2-3 hours to a location for them. (they are a fortune 500 company...cheap SOB's)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 4, 2006, 09:25 PM »
Anybody seeing the drop in fuel prices as a "gift" to us for the time being.  I can see gas shooting up to $4-$5 a gallon easy in the next few years.  I'm no economicist, but these low prices scare me for some reason.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 4, 2006, 11:17 PM »
I'm guessing the recent drop in price is an election ploy. We'll see if it gets mentioned in campaign ads during the next two months.

That would be mighty cool, since Dale was talking about Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  I know the US is important and all, but not that important ;)

Try this for dropping gas prices: weak hurricane season thus far; summer driving season is over and demand has dropped; no abnormal instability in the middle east currently; BP line problem exaggerated as causing shortages. 

You guys complain too much.  At the peak of it all, north of the border we were paying $4.00 USD/gallon.  That's factoring in exchange rates. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 4, 2006, 11:28 PM »
Brent, do you happen to know what the difference in percentage of gas cost can be attributed to taxes in Canada vs. in the U.S.?

I know that comparatively, the US still pays less than most places (it was about $4.20 per gallon once you do the math in New Zealand when I was there) but I wonder if it would be more or less skewed if you factor in non-market costs like taxes.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 5, 2006, 12:34 AM »
Anybody seeing the drop in fuel prices as a "gift" to us for the time being. 

Enjoy it, because we have a third military conflict coming in about a year's time.  Bush is going to bomb the daylights out of Iran, no chance that he's leaving office with the possibility of them getting a nuclear bomb...

I can see gas shooting up to $4-$5 a gallon easy in the next few years. 

Try $200 a barrel, and $8/gallon on for size once Iran gets hit.

I'm no economicist, but these low prices scare me for some reason.

Low?  4 summers ago I was filling my tank for .99 cents/gallon.  Today I paid $2.99/gallon, and that's a bargain on the year.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 5, 2006, 03:20 PM by Rob »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 5, 2006, 03:30 PM »
What a guessing game this oil thing is.  Many of us (including myself) were predicting $4 gas by Labor Day.

Who would have guessed that we'd be down $.50 this past weekend?

Are there politics involved?  One would think so considering the upcoming elections and how selective our memories can be!

:P

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 5, 2006, 05:50 PM »
the selective memory thing is funny.  i remember my company offering me a promotion in '99 that required me to commute about 30 miles a day, and considered not taking it because gas had gone up from $.85  to $1.02 and i was worried about gas costs eating up the bulk of my "raise".  now it would feel like i was getting a very large raise if gas would just level off at $2.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 8, 2006, 11:47 PM »
I saw gas for $2.39 today.

I wonder if this will continue to drop under $2.00 and whether it will be lasting or just another slap in the face when it shoots back up 2 months from now.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 8, 2006, 11:57 PM »
I saw gas for $2.39 today.

I wonder if this will continue to drop under $2.00 and whether it will be lasting or just another slap in the face when it shoots back up 2 months from now.

Could happen, but in reality, chances are that 1 year from now we're going to have rationing, gas lines, and $8/gallon gas.  I'm not sure why I'm the only one here talking about this.  You guys see what's about to happen, right?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda