Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 160592 times)

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #840 on: May 22, 2007, 03:59 PM »
 >:( :o  3.59 Just in time for the Holiday :P >:( >:(
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 22, 2007, 04:05 PM »
Today, I noticed the price dropped 3 more cents to $3.32 a gallon.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 22, 2007, 04:40 PM »

$3.26 here in the Twin Cities.  How is gas only a few pennies more out there in CA?  I always thought you guys were at least fifty cents more than anywhere else....
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 22, 2007, 04:43 PM »
Yeah, me too.

???

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 22, 2007, 06:01 PM »
How is gas only a few pennies more out there in CA?  I always thought you guys were at least fifty cents more than anywhere else....

In general, CA is higher than the rest of the nation, but it's a big state, and prices vary according to location. LA proper and SF Bay Area have some of the highest prices in the state. I live in San Jose, and work closer to SF. The closer I get to SF, the higher the price. The station by my home was $3.45 yesterday. About 20 miles north (where I work) was $3.57 yesterday.  :-\

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 22, 2007, 06:04 PM »

$3.26 here in the Twin Cities.  How is gas only a few pennies more out there in CA?  I always thought you guys were at least fifty cents more than anywhere else....

I don't know but I think our gas tax is #2 highest state in the nation at .38 per gallon added to the cost. I think RI has the highest though- not that it matters considering how small the state is. All I know is it's been stagnant at $3.35 for 2 weeks then today it goes down to 3.32 :-\. Does it matter though?... anything over 2$ is ridiculous anyway. Like Rob said the same amount of gas is sold as 4 years ago just they know they can sell it for alot more(because folks will pay) so they do ::).

--Urb

I looked it up it shows NY the highest gas tax at 60.8 then Hawaii at 60.something then Cally at 58.something. I guess the gas taxes fluctuate annually like the gas prices ::) :-\.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:20 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 22, 2007, 06:07 PM »
Stormies right..like in my hometown Vacaville, even further away from the bay area, it's been in the 3.20's-3.30's for weeks. While here, in the desert where I live(an hour and a half from LA) it's 10-20 cents cheaper than LA.

Like he said it gets more expensive the more towards highly populated areas you go.

--Urb

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #847 on: May 22, 2007, 06:18 PM »
California's gas is by far the highest in the country.  The graph I saw just a couple weeks ago had Hawaii at a very distant second place.  Jon (Slothus) found some unusually low gas out here, which is a serious exception to the norm around here.  Most everything is around $3.50+ now.  That same graph that I saw also showed the additional gas taxes applied by each state, and I thought CA's was still far above the rest, but I may be mistaken.  I can't recall where I saw that stuff, but I'll see if I can dig it up again.  But any news story (CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc.) with "highest gas prices" always lists CA first.  Hawaii was #1 last year, but we've blown by them in 2007, unfortunately.

There's actually a number of gas stations here in SoCal that are already over $4 for the Super Unleaded gas.  I'm sure regular unleaded isn't too far behind, and will hit that dreaded mark in the next month or so.  It's disgusting.  In fact, it's so bad now that I often find myself doing calculations in my head to see if a trip is even worth it.  Two books from the library: Late charge = 25 cents/day.  Trip to the library (only a few miles away) = $1+ in gas.  If the library's not already on the way to something else, screw it.  Not worth it.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 22, 2007, 06:27 PM »
Yep, unfortunately for Matt he lives on the edge of a highly populated area as Stormie explained. It's funny, everytime(in the last 5 years I've lived here) I head towards Matts' area or LA I watch the roadside gas prices increasing- including a phat increase from Kern to LA county!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #849 on: May 22, 2007, 06:35 PM »
Interesting.  AAA says Illinois has just passed us by three cents.  First I've ever heard of someone being more than CA.  Odder still, that several other states are apparently closing the gap on us now as well.  Not sure why that is and what's changed in the past couple weeks, but I feel kind of stupid arguing for bragging rights on the highest gas, and being upset if we're not #1.  That means I'm either way too competitive, or just a complete idiot.  Not sure which one...  :-X
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:39 PM by JediMAC »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #850 on: May 22, 2007, 07:11 PM »
2.97 for me today. Sadly the 50.00 i put in wont last me the rest of the week.  :-\
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #851 on: May 22, 2007, 10:11 PM »
Interesting.  AAA says Illinois has just passed us by three cents.  First I've ever heard of someone being more than CA.  Odder still, that several other states are apparently closing the gap on us now as well.  Not sure why that is and what's changed in the past couple weeks, but I feel kind of stupid arguing for bragging rights on the highest gas, and being upset if we're not #1.  That means I'm either way too competitive, or just a complete idiot.  Not sure which one...  :-X

Oklahoma, for as long as I can remember, has always had some of the cheapest gas prices in the entire country, on average.  But over the last few weeks, the prices have skyrocketed around here and I think now we're around ten cents higher than the national average, and nobody seems to know why.  I figure I can't complain too much, since we've had it good here for so long--but it's just strange how it's happened so quickly, with no explanation at all.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 22, 2007, 10:25 PM »

I went out to Wizard World in Chicago for about three years running.  And when it came time to tank up for the drive home from Chicago I was SHOCKED at just how much higher the gas prices were there.  I heard that it's got something to do with the cost of delivery, but I think it's also got to do with their taxes.  Because I would get into Indiana, some 20 or 30 miles away, and the gas prices would be much better there.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 23, 2007, 03:33 AM »
Yeah, when I was driving home to Cally this year as I crossed Arizona then crossed the colorado river into California -- Arizona side of the river had gas at 2.87 while the california side had it 3.25 (in early April).

Guess where I filled up? :P

DS

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 23, 2007, 08:16 AM »
Oklahoma, for as long as I can remember, has always had some of the cheapest gas prices in the entire country, on average.  But over the last few weeks, the prices have skyrocketed around here and I think now we're around ten cents higher than the national average, and nobody seems to know why.  I figure I can't complain too much, since we've had it good here for so long--but it's just strange how it's happened so quickly, with no explanation at all.

From what I've heard, the Midwest has been hit hard because most of the refineries that are down for 'maintenance' are located in our area.