Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 161014 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #855 on: May 23, 2007, 10:24 AM »
Whoa dropped another cent over night! Now at 3.31 Gal :-\
I went to the local town and 2 other stations were at 3.31 so now I know where our station is basing the price off. This military base is different than most being that a majority of the folks employed here are civil servants or contracted, so the state gas tax is included- but they do try to use the lowest local price matching. Other bases I've been on the gas was cheaper because it didn't include the state gas fees(federal installations). To counter, us military folks are allowed to claim state gas tax refunds here- what it does is remove the state gas tax for when driving on the installation. Since I do 75% of my driving on the base, I typically get 100-150$ back annually after claims. 

DS

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 23, 2007, 10:42 AM »
Funny, Congress is 'posed to have some hearings on the gas issue soon.  I  can't remember where I read/heard this, but there has been talk of breaking up the major oil companies that merged in the 90's.  Congress is "worried" that oil companies are price gouging.  Gee, you think??  How long has it taken to figure this out...your government dollars at work.

However, in America, with only three major oil companies, there technically is no monopoly on gas, but the three companies do control distribution and pricing, so naturally they will all be in league with each other on prices.  Where each company jumps ahead of the others is within the company itself and who can cut costs.  Exxon-Mobil gets the nod here because they control most of their oil from the time it is loaded onto a ship until it is put into your gas tank.  Self contained organizations don't have to pay the middle man and are able to cut overhead.  So actually there is a monopoly with only three big companies in the business and they buy out or push out anyone who stands in there way.

I know that I'm getting a tad into conspiracy theories here.  I've also talked at length with my dad who is a petroleum engineer and worked for Exxon and Shell in the 70's and early 80's before he started his own production company. Much of the info he's given me has been regurgitated here and in several other posts on this subject.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #857 on: May 23, 2007, 02:19 PM »
I was going to complain abou the prices around here in Colorado, but the price per gallon in Bermuda is $8 per gallon!

In case you're wondering, the exchange rate with the US dollar is 1.001 to 1.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 23, 2007, 03:07 PM »
Yeah, but their per capita income is 50% higher than the U.S. and it's one of the most expensive countries to live in with regards to house prices.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #859 on: May 23, 2007, 08:43 PM »
Yeah, but most of the Bermudians work 2 to 3 jobs to afford the lifestyle.  I'm not making excuses or anything....just kinda glad I don't have to pay that here.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #860 on: May 24, 2007, 12:13 AM »
From what I've heard, the Midwest has been hit hard because most of the refineries that are down for 'maintenance' are located in our area.

I was talking with my dad about it this evening, and he said the price jump was due to a big fire we had at a refinery here a few weeks back, and he thought that since the refinery was finally coming back online, the prices should drop a bit.

(Incidentally, prices are down by about a dime since I last posted. . .)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 24, 2007, 08:39 AM »
$1.97 in Iowa.

A little over four months ago...today we're at $3.25 - a 65% increase.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:40 AM by ruiner »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #862 on: May 24, 2007, 05:20 PM »
Saw $3.00/gallon gas today--the same station was up near $3.30 not even a week ago.  Good trend--hope it continues.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 24, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Exactly.

We've now been conditioned to be happy with $3.00 gas.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #864 on: June 11, 2007, 07:33 PM »
In the Twin Cities it's been below $3 for a couple weeks and it's still slowly dropping. Today it's about $2.80.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:34 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 11, 2007, 09:32 PM »
$3.32 in SJ.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 12, 2007, 12:18 AM »
Paid $2.73 at Holiday in Golden Valley today.   ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 12, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Still s-l-o-w-l-y going down in price over a month now...

currently @ $3.19, whooptydo ::)

DS

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 13, 2007, 09:09 PM »
cheapest gas I have seen is $3.05 at a thifty (bargain) gas station.  Second cheapest is $3.12 at Food4less.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 13, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Exactly.

We've now been conditioned to be happy with $3.00 gas.

A few years ago when it hit $2.00, I thought to myself, this is just a big scam so that when it goes back down and settles at $1.50, we'll all be happy, even if it's 50% more than the $1.00 we were used to.

Then when it hit $3.00 last summer, I thought, we're going to be thrilled when it goes back down and settles at $2.00 a gallon - what a scam.

I don't think that's the case anymore.  I think it's as simple as keeping prices as high as possible in relation to public outcry and the level of attention they're drawing from lawmakers.

I hope I live to see the day when most people drive cars that run on something else.