Author Topic: Customs on Ebay that you like (NOT YOUR OWN)  (Read 112682 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Customs on Ebay that you like (NOT YOUR OWN)
« on: August 31, 2003, 12:40 AM »
I have been watching a lot of customs on eBay latley. Whether it be carded, 12" or dioramas, these customs seem to go for a lot of money & I think sometimes bidders get trapped by not reading the description that it is a custom. Here are some examples:

Vintage Stormtrooper & custom card   :o

Custom Bespin "Dinner with Vader"  Figures not included!   ::)

3 Custom Star Wars Clone Trooper figures   ???

Here's another one I just found:

Boba Fett Droids card moc CUSTOM

Now I can understand the custom Bespin room has a lot of work that has gone into it, but that Stormtrooper takes the cake! Is it because some people can't afford the real Mccoy or am I missing something here?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2003, 01:01 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
Re: Custom Figures & eBay!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 01:38 AM »
I don't know either, I have noticed it in the past as well... I honestly think the seller of the stormtrooper has friends shill bidding for him,  reason I feel this way is because I put two very nice Custom Carded Vintage Figures priced at a real good price.  They didn't get a single bid.

Luke Jedi Clicky

Snowtrooper Clicky

As you can see the Cards are custom designed ... everything else though is Vintage including all accessorys, heh... maybe no one liked them, I don't know but, for someone to get a figure that high on a repro card I would have to say Shill bidding.

Oh and if you guys dont want me linking the two custom carded Figures I had done feel free to remove them I was just showing them as a example.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 01:45 AM »
these auctions are one of the reasons i'm against selling customs. some of these people not only are scamming someone (especially the clonetrooper one, $33 for 3 red clones repainted? I just bought 3 at kb for $6 total!) but because of the scamming they are giving the customizing community a bad name. people have an inherent ability to link one person to an entire group and thats what happens often in these situations. there are many who sell their customs because they need to make money and while I reckon thats a bit more understandable, if they arent good customizers they are selling garbage (the clonetroopers again) to people who could have made the customs themselves for a lot less. then you have the whole vintage repro issue, couldnt people tell that the stormtrooper wasnt in the best condition anyways? sheesh a fool and their money... ok enough ranting now  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 02:28 AM »
I completely agree on the Clonetroopers. Buy them cheap & do a custom youesrelf. Maybe some people are just plain lazy!  :-\

Now its hard to say if it is shill bidding at this time though it does look like its heading that way.
Here's on that user 435888 won:  Boba Fett MOC (21 Back)

Notice that he is from Australia & so is the seller. Even the Stormtropper auction is from Australia so it may lead that way. Need more time to watch there selling & buying.

But unlike the Sormtrooper auction, 435888 bid first 5 days before the next bidder came in & tried to get to be the higher bidder & just gave up. If he's a shill bidder trying to bid first hoping to get an unsuspecting bidder to come in & pass the high bid, looks like this did not work.

Bidder History

Heck, I even have a cd I bought for custom cardbacks. Just buy one of those or look on the net & find the sites that post customs cardbacks & make your own.
Like you said:

a fool and their money...

Ditto!  ;)

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 02:47 AM »
Well, this guy does the Custom Card backs all the time and by the time they go off they fetch a high price all around, I dont know if he shill bids but He keeps the repro Cards up all the time. needless to say he also uses repro weapons in his custom carded Figures.

VINTAGE C9 DOUBLE TELESCOPIC VADER ON 12 B

As far as the Clone troopers go I just think that the bidders are lazy and will pay for someone to do it for them.  I know if I see a super looking custom that I never tried to make, but wished I had I may put a $20 to $30 bid on them,  just to have it,  that is really rare but it could happen if I see something I really like.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 01:12 PM »
I've never bought a custom off of anyone before, but if I were to buy a custom it sure wouldn't be off eBay.  I would rather buy one off someone who has a good name for themselves... a reputable customizer.  Someone who has really put a lot of sweat and tears into their work.  Yeah, there are some really good customs on eBay, but you really don't know what kind of work they've done on it or what the quality is on their final product.

That "Dinner with Vader" is awesome though!  It's a bit steep though IMO.   :o
dustrho

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2003, 10:00 PM »
I love E-bay !!! It's the essence of free enterprize !! The Wild, Wild West of Cyberspace, but you need to do your homework and know what your doing or you can get ripped off "Buyer Beware" you know !!! ;)

The only custom I've bought was a Motti painted Black !! I looked real cool and w/shipping cost me $5 !!!

Everyone complains about Scalpers, but you only get scalped if you allow your self to !! So people want to complain they can't get the figures they want cuz the "Scalpers" are cleaning the pegs !! I think it's more a distribution problem than Scalpers !!

I look for older loose Items that would be harder to find if it weren't for E-bay !!!

Good deals are out there, but you got to have Patience !!!!
;D
The New Sandcrawler Workshop

Offline PML33

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 07:21 PM »
Hi wondering on ebay I found this  :o

I´m still in shock  :P

(Link removed.  Go search eBay, or find the other link Jay posted here earlier if you folks want to check it out some more.  Feel free to post the pix in here if you'd like though.) - Matt
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 11:18 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Electric Imperial Star Destroyer 7.20 feet Lengh on ebay
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 07:24 PM »
We're way ahead of ya'!  ;)  Yep, that things an absolute beauty.  Breathtaking.  Over 7 feet long, and 4 feet wide.  Already sitting at $2,500 with almost 4 days to go.  Should be interesting to see where it finally ends...

BTW, is this the same guy who had the amazing Sail Barge up on eBay a year or two ago?  I recall him being somewhere down in South America too (this guy's in Chile)...

And welcome to JediDefender8)

- Matt
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 07:29 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 09:23 PM »
Yeah, welcome aboard to JD...  Amazing you posted your first post about this.  You should go introduce yourself in the introductions forum....

A very nice Destroyer that's being talked about...  Not $2500 nice to me...  But a lot of work went into it for sure.  I'd dig building one myself but nowhere to display anything that big for certain.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 12:11 AM »
If I were a rich man, I would bid on it and try to find some way to win it.  But I am not a rich man, so I will instead become depressed over this.   :)

:P

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • CLICK HERE TO GET A COLLECTION VERY CHEAP
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 02:08 AM »
I would bid on it . But then I would have to live in it.
CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE TO VIEW AND BUY MY COLLECTION !

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 04:47 PM »
PNL33, we all know now that you are the seller.  People over at rebelscum are pretty aggravated at you for posting it to try and act like one of the customizing community while your real intent is to up the price... I understand where you are coming from, and you did an unbelievable job on this... but I don't like the fact that you'd only post here to promote yourself financially.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 04:49 PM »
Ok, once or twice a week I check ebay to look at customs, not to buy, but to get ideas.  Check out this bad boy!!!  Whoa!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=101609&item=5984560541&rd=1

I want to make one or a few myself... also, this would be a great fan choice figure!

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
  • NO! This one goes here; and that one goes here.
    • View Profile
Re: Customs on Ebay that you like (NOT YOUR OWN)
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Holy desert-dweller batman!
Something odd about it though.........whats the red on the left leg?  Looks like blood to me.

If u make it........I'd def $ one.     ;D
This is my avatar. Talon Karrde