Author Topic: Developing a Portfolio  (Read 1289 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Developing a Portfolio
« on: September 10, 2003, 01:56 PM »
Well, I've decided its time to beef up my job searches, and am planning on building a portfolio (paper, cd and web based with parellel content). However, I'm sort of at a loss at what I should include with it. Any tips, or advice?

Obviously I will include a cover letter, but dont really consider that to be part of the portfolio.

I will also include a resume, writing sample, and perhaps samples of my photography.

What else should I include? Should I tone down my resume, and make specific pieces to cover volunteer experience, and seminars and workshops I have attended? Unfortunately I dont have a lot of experience, so I need to base my portfolio or more subjective material.

Any help would be appreciated!
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Developing a Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Good thread, Adam.

I'll pay close attention to this thread, because I'm also putting together my portfolio. My major is Commercial Art, but that and photography really go hand in hand so I can use the info, too. :)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 04:09 PM »
I'm not really looking for a job in photography, but I figured any exhibition of artistic skill could help me get into the fields Im most interested, advertising and publishing.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 10:56 PM »
Always a good idea to throw some Letters of Recommendation in there, if you can get some.  The more respected and well known the writer of said rec, the better of course.

Since it's been over 5 years since I've hit the job search pavement, I'm probably a little out of touch with what the hip new trends are in resumes, portfolios and such...  Might want to hit your local book store, and peruse some of those many job searching books they've got for some good ideas.  That's what I did way back when, and I think it helped...  Good luck Adam!   8)