Author Topic: So I Drove by The Ranch...  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
So I Drove by The Ranch...
« on: September 10, 2003, 09:28 PM »
I was in California the past few days for business and I finished early yesterday and couldn't get a flight out until today.  So I had a 1/2 day to kill.  

I was in Sacramento and could have went east to Reno or Tahoe or went West to San Francisco...I chose west only because the last time I was in SF we didn't really get a chance to get a nice look of the Golden Gate Bridge because of heavy fog.  So I drove west and decided to cut across the top of the bay and wound up in Marin County.  

Being the Ultimate Fanboy I knew I was close to the Motherland and started heading south on Hwy 101.  Seeing a sign for Lucas Valley Road peaked my interest and I got off and guessed and went west.  Good choice, but totally lucky I just found out.

About 5 miles up this windy two lane road is the gates to the ranch complete with gate, security etc.  I stopped and looked and thought of ways I could hop the fence and make a mad dash for the Archives to try and seek out the Hoth Han Brown Coat.  But my rational side reminded me that there are such things as tresspassing, jail and the like so I let it be and took a mental picture and said that had to be the spot.

Doing a little research I found out Lucas Valley Road has no relation to the man himself, he just so happens to live on said road.  There was also a huge boulder on the North Side of the road which made my Google search a little easier to find out if I was anywhere near close...turns out I was!

http://www.ptreyeslight.com/stories/oct24/lucas.html

The rest of the mini-road trip was pretty cool, I saw some awesome Redwood Forests...I mean awesome and the coastland of NoCal is truly awesome.  And when I finally got to the Golden Gate...the fog was so thick you couldn't see more than 10 feet above the car.

I love that town, one of the favorite places I have ever been

So...I know where you live George Lucas, better make a good movie!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 10:45 PM by OCB »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: So I Drove by The Ranch...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 11:16 PM »
Scott, did you check out any of the Napa Valley?  It's really a treat, especially if you like wine.  There's a lot of wineries that aren't very far from the ranch.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 11:52 PM »
I didn't yesterday...I did when I was out there in 2000.  I remember getting a lot of free samples and I was by myself otherwise I would have headed through there on my way over to the coast.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 09:18 AM »
Been there. Beautiful place. I'd love to go back.

(And I know exactly where the Human Resources building is, too!  ;))

Scott, if we're gonna break into the Archive, we're gonna need that shopping cart. But remember to keep your eyes peeled for a BLUE coat, too. I've come to the conclusion that it's reversable.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 10:57 AM »
I think you'll need at least eleven to get into the LFL Archives.

OH OH! Can I be Livingston? :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 11:11 AM »
"Pearson's Eleven." I smell fan film, boys.

Scott, was there any construction activity visible from Big Rock? It was my understanding that that's going to be the new home of Lucas Licensing. We could disguise ourselves as workers and walk the fifteen minutes to the Ranch.

Anyone got an EMP generator?
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 11:20 AM »
Getting on the grounds would be a piece of cake.  It is literally surrounded by barbed wire.  Who knows what horrors lurk beyond the fence though, Battle Droids and Jar Jar Clones no doubt.

I could see a bunch of buildings from the road.  From what I have read they are fairly new because I thought you weren't able to see anything from the road itself.

We might win an Oscar for Cinematography if we can get a shot of me Running John up the driveay in an oversized Shopping Cart ;)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 11:40 AM »
We might win an Oscar for Cinematography if we can get a shot of me Running John up the driveway in an oversized Shopping Cart ;)

More likely an MTV Movie Award for "Best Fight Scene" when we get our asses kicked by Lucas Security.

But hey, maybe if we took them down to Fisherman's Wharf, they'd help us out. Little known fact: Lucas Security Guards LOVE fish.

Post sober.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 12:27 PM »
We should all go dressed at Stormtroopers

Security: "Uh sir, Imperial Troops really have entered the base"
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 12:50 PM »
Wookiees are brought in wearing restraints. Silly wookiee.  ::)

No one ever bats an eyelash at an eight-foot-tall naked primate with an ammunition belt for a purse strap. It's the perfect disguise!
Post sober.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 04:33 PM »
Yeah, but who wears the officers uniform?  Somebody has to lead the stormtroopers in.  

Security: "Uh sir, Imperial Troops really have entered the base"

Priceless :D  Almost worth getting arrested over.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2003, 04:51 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but if I was in the area....I'd go to the wineries and indulge in some of California's finest!  And then probably get a DUI ticket.  ;)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2003, 06:20 PM »
Skywalker Ranch has a vineyard, but they send all the grapes to Coppola's winery. He uses it to make a special brand of wine served at the resaurants on site at the Ranch. Theoretically, you could kill a few birds with one stone.  ::)
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2003, 10:51 PM »
Damn.  I thought you were in Las Vegas and drove by "The Ranch"...   :P

You mean that other Ranch!  Oh, OK.  I get it.  Yeah, you should'a just busted in.  I'm sure Chris would've paid any ensuing fines (or bonds), if it meant you managed to sneak a good scoop on Ep. 3, or at least a few cool props (most notably "the jacket")...

Oh well, if you and John ever want to give it a go with the shopping cart, drop me a line first and I'll head on up the coast and join you!  ...and John, I'm ashamed of you!  Reversable?!?  After all that?  C'mon now...  It was obviously black all along!   :-*  You blue and brown guys...   ::)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 10:22 AM »
Matt, don't you have unpacking to do still?  :P
Post sober.