Author Topic: Fodder Alert!  (Read 178013 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Fodder Alert!
« on: September 16, 2003, 04:08 PM »
I just returned from a jaunt into Big Lots where I was able to scoop up 27 unique 3-3/4" Figures for $28.  I just couldn't stop loading my cart with these little guys.  When I open them I will post some pictures, but they look like great Cantina, Jabba and Nightclub fodder as well as Coruscant Street Scene Fillers :-*

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Generic Figures Custom Fodder
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 07:15 PM »
sounds like a sweet deal, what kind of figures are these? are they those generic cops, firemen, army guys or something else? can't wait to see pics, more good fodder is a must have!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 12:17 AM »
Yeah Cops, Spacemen, Bad Guys, Firemen etc...

Some of these are just as well articulated as some SW figures at the wrists, a lot of them have working holsters as well

« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 12:18 AM by OCB »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 12:26 AM »
Not a bad score there Scott!  What brand are those figures?  They almost look like the newer GI Joe figures in a way.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 12:28 AM »
I don't exactly remember but it is something like Midwestern Toy Company...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 01:16 AM »
some neat figs there, some could be quite useful for parts, others i'm not so sure about, but for a buck a piece they look fun to play with.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 03:48 AM »
Weird figures Scott, thanks for the photos.  I'll have to look around at the local Big Lots stores for those...  Some of them appear to have sheathed throwing knives.  If those are 3.75" tall figures then those little sheathed knives must be pretty tiny.

Some of them are beyond odd...  That company appears to hit all bases anyway. :)  I'm not sure many of the figure's parts are useful really, but some seemed to be and some of the gear seemed more useful.

The creativity of the sculptors is funny though, just to look at...

What's sad is that these do appear, though not based on anything like Star Wars is, to have superior qualities to Hasbro Star Wars figures on some levels, and they're equal to SW figures in other areas.  I'm sure  they have their flaws though too.  It's just sort of a shame that Hasbro's figures don't totally trounce these in quality overall.  I mean, there shouldn't be any comparison when you think about price and such.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 11:37 AM »
Yeah I thought so too, it is not like their arms are falling off or they were constanly falling over...funny there were no spring mechanisms or anything like that in them either.

I want to find a nice ballcap type head for a Garouf Lafoe

I also think the alien type guys would just be good background filler

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 11:58 PM »
Yeah I thought so too, it is not like their arms are falling off or they were constanly falling over...funny there were no spring mechanisms or anything like that in them either.

I want to find a nice ballcap type head for a Garouf Lafoe

I also think the alien type guys would just be good background filler

2 ideas:

1.  Cut the sideflaps off of the SAGA endor trooper helmet.

2.  Snap the hat off of the EI Naboo Guard and paint it green.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Fodder Alert!
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2004, 02:16 PM »
i just got my set of clear bust ups from the san diego comic con (thanks matt  ;D ) and while putting them together, noticed something. they are very tiny. i knew they were going to be small, from all the reports and stuff that i read online, but these things are really small. almost as if they took 3 3/4" figures and turned them into busts. so it got me thinking - do you think they will be any use as custom fodder? they have no articulation, and only half a body, but the sculpts are really nice and the likeness on luke, han, and leia is really good, probably better than anything hasbro has done so far (with the exception of the votc han. maybe). it's hard to see the details since they are clear, but i'll try and snap some pics to compare the size later on.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: new custom fodder - bust ups?
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2004, 02:23 PM »
Did you have any issues with Leia's forearms? Might don't really fit in her upper arms too snuggly and just kind of hang there, on the verge of slipping out if you were to bump or pick up the bust. Just wondering if they're all like that or if mine is just one of those sets where the pieces don't fit together quite as well as planned.

And to keep this on topic, I think the head sculps could work well for customs, if the head size is to scale with the regular figs. Some of the parts might be iffy, but could also work if lack of articulation isn't an issue.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2004, 06:34 PM »
no, leia's forearms seem to be okay on mine. they don't go 100% into the upper arm parts, but they don't seem to be really loose either. i pushed them in as far as i could get them.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2004, 08:15 PM »
I'm not familiar with them Dave, but if they are in-scale then I think if cast they could be useful fodder, sure.  At least useful head replacements, but whether they're in-scale or not is the question.  Can you get a comparison image up perhaps?

Like Han with VOTC Han side-by-side?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2005, 12:01 PM »
The bust-ups that I've found work well and have customizing potential are:

C3PO
Yoda
Chewie
Sidious
Stormtrooper
Dooku

I haven't found a Royal Guard yet though.

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2005, 12:05 PM »
3PO is way too small for 3-3/4" scale IMO, the rest though I agree on