Author Topic: Favorite Place You Have Traveled  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Favorite Place You Have Traveled
« on: September 17, 2003, 10:29 AM »
For me it is a toss up between Hawaii and Northern California.

If I could afford to live in either place (and if California had its government and tax situation straightened out) I'd live in both spots in a heartbeat

Nothing can beat the Hawaiian climate.  It is truly a paradise in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  The beauty of the three islands we went two is absolutely breathtaking.  The volcanoes, the beaches, the trees, the natives :-*  We stayed in Honolulu which if we ever go back we won't be doing again, way too touristy but a pretty cool city.  I'd love to retire on Maui and buy a palatial estate on the beach

Northern California has some of the most beautiful vistas on the planet.  The Redwood forests are a must visit for any OT fan, you seriously feel like you are walking on Endor and Wicket is going to pop out any minute.  Add to that the beauty of the Yosemite Valley and Tahoe plus the Sierras and coastal mountains, it can't be beat.  Top that all off with San Francisco, one of the most beautiful cities in America.  The bay, the Golden Gate, the Wharf, the skyline, the hills.  Great town...great spot to visit, wouldn't want to live there though ;)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Place You Have Traveled
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 10:58 AM »
I agree with you Scott, definitely Hawaii.  I went last year on my honeymoon and didn't want to come back to the ****-hole that is the Northeast.  Granted its expensive to live out there because of its location, but so what.  Beautiful weather, women and excellent food.  

We went to three islands: Oahu, Maui and Hawaii (the Big Island).  The only reason I would go back to Oahu is to see Pearl Harbor, which we didn't get a chance to do because we were only on the island for three days.  Maui was definitely the best.  Lush and tropical, beautiful beaches and excellent resorts.  We snorkeled at the Molokini crater, which was amazing and drove the Hana Highway, which was interesting to say the least.  Way too stressful for a vacation, methinks.  

Hawaii had its moments - the helicopter ride over the volcano, watching the lava flow into the ocean for one.  But there really isn't much to do and is great if you just want to relax.

A co-worker did an Alaskan cruise and the pictures look amazing.  Definitely something I want to consider.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 11:30 AM »
I'd go back to the West Palm Beach/Palm Beach area in a heartbeat. I've always liked Florida, and it's a great place if you avoid Orlando and A1A.

Daytona Beach is fun, especially during Bike Week, provided said bikers keep themselves in line.

My favorite of all is Flagler Beach, though. You don't feel as poor there as you would in West Palm Beach, and it's quiet, as it isn't a tourist destination, or at least a very big one.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 01:42 PM »
Hmmm...  I've been fortunate to have done a lot of traveling around the world on my pop's company's dime, and I'd have to say that one of my favorite places was Singapore (near Orchard Road, if you're familiar with the country).  It's like a perfect blend of the relaxed and casual Southern California and the exotic Orient rolled up into one.  I think things have changed a little since my last visit there about 8 years ago, so with the current political climate as it is, I doubt I'd go out there again right now, if I had the chance...   :-\

Of course, Yosemite is probably the most breathtaking place I've ever been too.  Fortunately, it's rather nearby, so I anticipate visiting there more in the future.  Just picture some of those majestic Ansel Adams prints of the place...   :)

Not sure if I could up-and-move to anywhere exactly where I'd go, but I suppose Hawaii would be up there on my list.  Haven't been there since I went for a couple weeks just after 10th grade, with my former girlfriend and her family.  Beautiful, beautiful place (and people  ;))...

Actually, I know where I'd move.  Capitola.  It's a small little beach town right near Santa Cruz in Northern California.  My buddies and I used to spend a lot of time "unwinding" up there in college, and it's just the most mellow, enjoyable little corner of the world that I've ever been to.  A lot of great memories there too...   8)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 03:01 PM »
Montana is my favorite place in the world...can't get enough of those Rocky Mountains
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 03:51 PM »
There's a few places I can rattle off:

Maui, Hawaii:  This place is paradise on earth.  Wow!  I usually don't go in for tropical locales, but this place was perfect.

Napa Valley, California:  Perfect weather, beautiful area.  And the best wine in North America.

Rocky Mountains, Colorado:  I was in the mountains just west of Pike's Peak (in the vicinity of Colorado Springs), and it was amazing.  Being at elevation was weird, but it was awe inspiring.  Especially this area of rock formations near Colorado Springs called Garden of The Gods.  Wow!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 06:47 PM »
Montana is my favorite place in the world...can't get enough of those Rocky Mountains

Patty and I visited Glacier National Park in Montana a few years ago, and it was just beautiful there.  Her great grandfather (or something like that) helped build the Glacier Lodge up there, and they had a big family reunion for the Native American portion of her family there.  Reminded me of Yosemite a bit, though on a somewhat less grand scale...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2003, 12:45 AM »
Piece of cake.  Australia, in a second.  I apply for a couple of jobs a year out there, but they're always longshots as I have no citizenship or any claim to any.  

Went there 15 years ago now :'( and haven't forgotten anything about it.  Just a great laidback country with a complete lack of political correctness.  Lazy people were lazy, but the regular folks were fine.  The outlook on life was amazing.  Want to do something today?  Fine, leave work and get it caught up the following day. No worries.  

Beaches, great weather, friendly people, superb beer, excellent scuba diving, good healthcare.  What more could you ask for.  

Maui would be a close second.  We were there last Christmas and loved it too.  Fifth time I'd been to Hawaii and far and away the best.  I've never seen my wife so relaxed.  I could happily retire here.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2003, 02:00 AM »
Man, Austrailia sounds about as close to Utopia as Earth will ever get.

And they call the US the greatest country in the world. Hm.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 04:50 AM »
My favorite place I've traveled to is probably Belfast.  The week I spent there was so full of the highs and lows of life, basically an entire life in seven days.  And the people.  Wonderful.  Just not to each other.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 10:47 AM »
Hmmm... this is a hard one.  I have never been out of the United States before, so I would have to say Portland, Oregon.  I love that place because it's so green, full of forests and mountains.  It's just beautiful out there.  I traveled there for one week on a business trip, and we went to Multnomah Falls for a day.  It was breathtaking!  I would love to move out there, because it's so nice out there.
dustrho

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Multnomah Falls!   ;D  I agree, Chris, one of the most lovely places on the planet.  Visited Portland on my spring break in 2001.  

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2003, 03:38 PM »
Right now I'll go with Alberq., New Mexico... Awesome place... Had the best room in the hotel, maybe that helped.  :-*

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 10:32 AM »
My favorite place I have traveled to was the Virgin Islands.  It was a while ago but Look-out Mountain was spectacular and we had beautiful weather.  Of course, driving on the wrong side was a bit of a challange but I could get used to it. ;)

Beth

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2003, 10:46 PM »
Manhattan, Las Vegas and London. I'll just happily toggle between those three cities for the rest of my life, thank you very much.  :)
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.