Author Topic: DIORAMA IMPROVEMENTS THREAD  (Read 6056 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DIORAMA IMPROVEMENTS THREAD
« on: September 20, 2003, 02:38 PM »
I thought it might be cool to have a thread that we can talk about ways we have improved our dioramas, maybe we can help each other out here on this when we come up with new ideas, or want to share old secrets that we have.

BATTLE DROIDS - A NEW HOPE

Well, I finally caved in on Wednesday and ordered a mass number of REAL STANDS for my Battle Droid Army.  This might have been one of the smartest decisions I have ever made for my Star Wars collection.  I received my stands today in the mail, I just wish I had ordered them months ago...

As it stands, I now have an army of 40 red Battle Droids.  That includes about 15 of the ones from the accessory sets, who have a very difficult time standing on their own, or even with the one-pegged Star Wars stands that come with the 4-pk figures.  

So I finally got the REAL STANDS version, and what a difference it makes.  They have two pegs per stand, and they have finally saved my sanity (so far at least).

I have some other tips that are a bit more original than this in improving dioramas, and I'll go into them more a little later.

Any ideas you all want to share?  Anyone have any pics you want to share?

:P

« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 02:40 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: DIORAMA IMPROVEMENTS THREAD
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 03:31 PM »
I like this thread - hopefully I can add to it. :-X

If you're looking to improve the look of a Geonosis dio, I suggest cutting out some sandpaper to set down... I did that with my Arena thing and it really looked cool, plus, your figures can still stand on it.

Offline no-wan

• Youngling
  • I Warn You Not to Under Estimate my Power !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 10:31 PM »

If you're looking to improve the look of a Geonosis dio, I suggest cutting out some sandpaper to set down... I did that with my Arena thing and it really looked cool, plus, your figures can still stand on it.

You could use REAL sand that would also cover up your REAL stands !!!!
The New Sandcrawler Workshop

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 09:32 PM »
Ho ho! Clever no-wan!

For outdoor dioramas, (Endor, Hoth) if your willing, give your figures a coating of dulcoat, and they photgraph better, especialy on a sunny day, or when you need to get in close, and the flash is on.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2004, 10:46 PM »
Real sand does look very cool for that.  I have sand on a Tatooine diorama currently, maybe I'll run up to TRU sometime soon and get another bag or two of sand for my Mos Eisley, Mos Espa, Arena, and Geonosian Battlefield dioramas.  Won't the wife love that!!

Here's another idea that I found recently that works wonders for Dagobah/Naboo swamp dioramas.  Go to Petsmart or Petko and get some of the tree looking things that go in aquariums.  They are very realistic looking and look awesome in dioramas.  The price isn't too bad either considering how big and lifelike they are.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 04:36 PM »
Well I came across a new material (for me at least) in making dioramas that I like a lot better than foam core - large styrofoam sheet that can be bought at most craft stores.  This stuff is much sturdier (does not warp) than foamcore, and is a better investment as far as I'm concerned.  

It worked so well on my redo of Jabba's Palace that I decided to redo my Podrace Arena too.  I didn't do quite as well with the Arena as the Palace (might redo and retouch a few sections), but it is still a vast improvement over my old version.

Try this stuff out, it's about $5 a sheet and well worth it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 01:52 AM »
I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out, but I've recently discovered the advantage of spray painting a figure sometimes before doing any acrylic painting... using a high quality spray paint (like the $5 cans) seems to really help when applying a base coat.  For example, my Darktrooper custom -

The paint on this thing seems like it wouldn't chip off even if I tried to remove it. 

First, I spray painted the whole thing black - 3 coats of black paint.  Definitely keep a distance though when doing this, let it apply in thin layers.  Then I used a blue spray paint to try and give it more of a metallic look... then used black acrylic paint to add in the details, like the black eye holes.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 10:50 AM »
I usually try to prime my figures with a base coat of spray paint (I use Games Workshop Black Spray Primer).  It makes the paint go on a lot smoother (if you don't primer, you will have to apply thick coats of paint, especially on clone troopers because the paint tends to separate a bit at first).  Spray Primer is very useful on astromechs, but I use it on any figure where I will be painting more than half with new colors.
Invest in Primer, you won't be disappointed!  ;D
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 11:30 AM »
Good tip... where do you get the Primer you are referring to?

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 04:21 PM »
Good tip... where do you get the Primer you are referring to?

There is a Games Workshop store in the mall near my house, but they also have an online web site: www.gamesworkshop.com and you can order their paints directly from them.  Their paints should also be available at most hobby stores.  If any store near you carries the "Warhammer"/"Warhammer 40K"/"LOTR Miniatures" figures, they should have the Citadel paints (Games Workshop makes Warhammer miniatures and Citadel paints).
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.