Author Topic: Does Anyone Remember "Gobots"?  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Does Anyone Remember "Gobots"?
« on: September 23, 2003, 03:13 PM »
Although I know they were pretty much a ripoff of Transformers, a friend of mine and I were talking about toys we had when we were growing up, and the Go-Bots came up in conversation.  Although I had Transformers too, I do remember having quite a few Go-Bots (probably because they were cheaper for my parents to get me for presents).  I even remember having some sort of a command center that many of them fit in.  It just got my nostalgia going and wondering if anyone of you had (or have) these.  They were a lot of fun for my friends and I back in the day.  I remember "Turbo" being my favorite.  Here is a site I came across while looking some information up (I'm sure there are some better ones too).  Just curious if any of you had/have these:

GoBots

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Remember "Gobots"?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 07:09 PM »
I loved GoBots as a kid, I thought they rocked...

I wasn't paying real close attention, but I swear I think I heard a GoBots toy commercial last night. Wonder if they are bringing them back
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 07:52 PM »
Didn't the Gobots come out before Transformers?  I was a diehard toy collector (actually played with them more than collecting them at the time) and I had both Gobots and Transformers.  If I remember right I thought the Gobots came out before Transformers.

I remember when the came out and one of my friends was showing off his Gobots.  He was the first one out of our class to get them.  I had to have them, so I told me my to buy whatever ones she could.  She picked me up Dozer (the orange bulldozer) and Cykill (the motorcycle).  These were awesome toys!

I actually have a few left (sold most of them on eBay) and if someone wants them let me know.  I'd prefer to do a trade for them if possible, so check out my trade list.  Here are two pictures of what I have left... PICTURE #1 and PICTURE #2.
dustrho

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 02:29 AM »
I had a few of these Scooter, Turbo, Leader 1 and Crasher. Also watched the cartoon every morning before school when I was younger.

Pretty cool but I will always be a Transformers guy  :)
I remember my dream now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 01:05 PM »
Maybe GoBots did come out before Transformers, I don't really know for sure.  I just remember having some of each, around the same time when I was a kid :).  Had fun with them both, although the Gobots must have been cheaper/easier to find, because I remember getting more of those as gifts than TF.  I don't, however, remember the Gobots cartoon nearly as well as Transformers.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 11:10 AM »
WIZARD has a feature up on the GoBots.  Definitely not on the level of Transformers, but I do remember having a fair amount of these as a kid - maybe because they were a "cheaper" gift in the "transforming robot" genre.  I had maybe a dozen of the little robots and then the larger "command center" (I see in this article it was called the Guardian Command Center, I couldn't remember the name).

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 02:23 PM »
I didn't have many gobots. I had one of the super gobots that turned into a porsche but that was about it. I had generic gobots which was odd. You'd figure I'd have the real ones considering they were usually the same price. I believe it would be hard to really pin down which came first. I remember getting transformers in non-transformers branded packaging about a year or two before transformers hit. I don't have any more of those now but they were all made by Takara and were repainted and released later in the actual Transformers line. Just cars though. I also remember we used to have a toy store around here that used to stock nothing but Japanese robot toy's. They had various Voltron and other Japanese robots in the actual japanese packaging, nothing with any US labeling, and that was all the store sold. It was one of the coolest stores back in the day, I just wish it was still around.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 05:06 PM »
I had a few of those. They were alright. I sold them all when i sold my tranformers.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 07:46 PM »
I had one GoBot, but I can't remember its name.  It was a large (I think 10-12 dollar price point) black military helicopter, and it was okay.  It was no Transformer, but still alright. :)

I also had two GoBot "Rock Lords" because apparently, even at a young age, I couldn't resist the sheer kitsch value of a robot that turned into a rock.  :D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Go-Bots were lame and I remeber having a few...I think there was even a cartoon, no?  I remember having Leader-1, Cop-tor?, Cy-Kill, and that gay little scooter dude and some scorpian and torpedo guy.  These were the lame TF "knockoffs" in the day even though they seemed to be well built.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:55 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 1, 2007, 03:11 PM »
I still have about 10 Go-bots, though I can't remember their names.  A Jap fighter plane, Cy-Kill, Leader One (F-16), some water plane, an ambulence, a blue tank, a submarine, and maybe a handfull of others I can't remember.  My favorite was this guy that turned into a flying saucer, which is hilarious if you think about the premise - giant alien disguises itself by turning into a UFO.   ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Oh...Just remembered that I had that knock off looking AT-AT playset thingy which was fairly large.  It had the stupidest feature on it's face when you transformed go-botted it.  You pressed a button and it's face lit up and made the most annoying noise for like 10 seconds.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 6, 2007, 09:26 AM »
We (my Brother and I) had few, but we really wanted and tried to focus on Transformers.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."