Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Ghosts
« on: September 24, 2003, 12:37 PM »
Do you believe in ghosts, the afterlife, spirits coming back to haunt you?

I don't, my bogus detector is set a little bit too high, doesn't mean that people don't have unexplainable phenomena happen to them...

I wake up in the middle of my sleep sometimes and swear there are things hovering over my bed or flying away into the corner of the room.  I later found out that the brain sometimes tricks the eyes into thinking it is seeing things...

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 12:54 PM »
I believe in the wooden frames and aging construction of our homes causing strange noises at night. I believe in your mind playing tricks on you, turning shapes, shadows and smells into a perceived reality. I believe in strange noises, I believe in gusts of wind, and I believe in unexplainable feelings generated by fear.

I do NOT believe that when we die, we are left on earth to haunt the living. Whether or not there's an afterlife....I sincerely doubt that it involves our spirits roaming around knocking over items in homes they formely occupied.

After all, if that was the case....and YOU were ever a ghost...don't you think you'd be much more like Patrick Swayze in that stupid movie....going around trying to talk to people you knew and stuff? I know I would. I'd wreak all sorts of havoc. When I wasn't out visiting female locker rooms and dressing rooms of course....

MUHAHAHAHA!

Vava-voom.
Got Clones?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 02:36 PM »
My mind plays tricks on me all the time... Right now its performing a disapearing act.

Anywho, I believe that ghosts are real.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 03:22 PM »
If you ever took a little time to read the numerous books on ghosts (and the like) you'd also know that NOT everyone turns into a ghost when they die.

Most that "believe" in ghosts will tell you that most ghosts are just unsettled souls. People that probably died that really weren't ready.

I do believe in ghosts... though I also am a believer that we all have set time to go. So though I do believe in the unrested/unsettled soul thing... I also see the contradiction.

Also understand ghosts do NOT always have to have a form. That small breeze or squeak can be a ghost (in my belief anyway)... and yes can also be house, wood, etc settling. I have a very close friend that has the ability to see ghosts quite vividly... I also believe he has no reason to bulls**t me.

I live in a very old city and the former home of Lizzie Borden. There are many houses here in the city that people have experienced odd behavior and the like...

Take it for what it's worth... I respect your opinion but also let's not act like we know it all... and there is absolutely no way ghosts can exist.
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 03:56 PM »
Take it for what it's worth... I respect your opinion but also let's not act like we know it all... and there is absolutely no way ghosts can exist.

Fair enough. I don't KNOW there aren't ghosts. It just hasn't been proven that there are yet, so it's really hard to believe.

Much like alien abuctions, flying saucers, bigfoot, curses, psychics, cooties and the loch ness monster......until someone can provide some real hard evidence to support their claims....you've gotta realize that most people out there are going to be skeptics like me.

Got Clones?

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 04:07 PM »
Much like alien abuctions, flying saucers, bigfoot, curses, psychics, cooties and the loch ness monster......

Y'mean I went through all that trouble to get that cootie shot in the 3rd grade for nothing?! :P

I'm not all too sure what to believe as far as ghosts, and the paranormal as a whole, are concerned. Still, there are some interesting theories here. :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 04:07 PM by BobaShek »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 04:13 PM »
I will add this story since we are in the fall...

My boyhood buddy lived in a house built in the 70's which supposedly was built near an old ox cart trail.  They lived there for around 10 years and they had 4 boys...around the time each of them were 4 years old they each saw a pair of legs which sort of danced around in front of them in their basement.  They each went and told their mom when they saw it...

They never really told anyone until the third kid saw them and then when the 4th son saw them, they moved.  

That story freaked me out when I was a kid, my friend told me it happened to him, his little 4 year old brother told me it happened and his mom told my mom it had happened.  I still sorta believe it...just because it was the same thing and it was independently told to the mom and the kids had nothing to gain from it.  Plus, I remember how scared they were when they lived there

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 05:00 PM »
let's not act like we know it all... and there is absolutely no way ghosts can exist.
Haven't you done just that?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 05:02 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 08:20 PM »
No I countered w/ what I have read... and what I believe.

Just as you did on your part. Is that not OK? LMK if so.  :-*

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2003, 08:50 PM »
I'd wreak all sorts of havoc. When I wasn't out visiting female locker rooms and dressing rooms of course....

MUHAHAHAHA!

Vava-voom.

DITTO.   ;D

Ghost, invisible, whatever...  Just get me into one of those dang things please!   :-*

As for ghosts...  Oh, I don't know.  Maybe, maybe not.  Probably doubtful, but I'm always open to possibilities...  Like Josh said though, some type of irrefutable proof would be helpful.   :-\

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 02:18 PM »
Like Josh said though, some type of irrefutable proof would be helpful.

And that goes for all the things I mentioned above, not just ghosts.

Common sense though, might prevail.  My example:

If you were a ghost, what would YOU do?  Wouldn't you have some fun? If there are ghosts, why aren't they all doing that stuff all the time?
Why don't you see celebrities on TV talking about ghost experiences (Because wouldn't you surely go haunt one of them for awhile?)

If you were an alien explorer, wouldn't YOU land in a concentrated, populated area or a political site where you could talk to the leaders of that planet?  Or would you go land in some backwater bum-**** town and anally probe some in-bred, toothless hick every time you chose to make contact?

Pyschics. If they had all this power to predict things, why wouldn't they use it to gain advantage in their own lives instead of working at 1-900 lines or in some small office in a strip mall?

It's all B.S as far as I'm concerned, until someone reputable can prove otherwise.

Humans have very active imaginations and a desire to make our lives bigger and more epic than they actually are. They tell stories of seeing monsters, ghosts, UFOs and other things so people will pay attention to them...and eventually repeat them so many times with so much embelishment that they actually start to believe it themselves.

Got Clones?

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2003, 02:37 PM »
So you TRULY feel we are inferior and there is absolutely no other forms of life out there.

As big and endless as this galaxy is humans are it...  ::)

Hmmm... I can say admittedly no starships have landed in my backyard ever... though I hardly believe that we are the only forms of life and the only truly inhabited planet in the entire universe.

That just makes us humans that much more special... not likely. I truly believe that there are life forms out there who are quite possibly more advanced than humans. As advanced as we are... we are still (imho) not as advanced as we could be...

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2003, 02:43 PM »
I am more open to Aliens and UFO's than ghosts anyday.  Statistics pretty much show there are perhaps millions of life bearing planets in our galaxy alone.  

I do believe "Contact" will be made as well and it hopefully in our lifetime because that truly will be the biggest discovery of all time

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2003, 04:19 PM »
So you TRULY feel we are inferior and there is absolutely no other forms of life out there.

As big and endless as this galaxy is humans are it...

Not at all.
But I DO truly feel that all the stories of sightings and abductions are probably pure horse crap. We haven't been visited yet. At least not anytime in the modern age.

Any alien civilization exploring our own attempting to make contact is not going to try to do it by abducting and probing our most dimwitted citizens in our most rural areas.

When it happens, the whole world will know about it.

Got Clones?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2003, 04:33 PM »
"Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Our continuing mission, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civiliazations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!"

... and the sad thing is I know all of that by memory...

Yes, I believe there are much more advanced beings "out there". We are currently, too primitive to be of any interest to them, as there are so many planets, that Earth is irrelevant.