Author Topic: Best vintage deals you've gotten  (Read 27158 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Best vintage deals you've gotten
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2004, 09:32 PM »
$20 is good.  Paint looks nice.  I paid around the same for mine.  No idea about light or brown hair, not going to care :-X  The range for brown haired Luke farmboy is from $15-40 from what I've seen.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2004, 09:34 PM »
Brent,

Thanks, so where are you at with your vintage collection?  Do you still need figure / accessories?  Are you going after variations?

DBK

$20 is good.  Paint looks nice.  I paid around the same for mine.  No idea about light or brown hair, not going to care :-X  The range for brown haired Luke farmboy is from $15-40 from what I've seen.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2004, 10:07 PM »
Very nice Luke Matt. I'm not sure which is version is harder to get. According to the RS archive, the light hair is a Europe release.

Luke Skywalker

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2004, 01:22 PM »
Brent,

Thanks, so where are you at with your vintage collection?  Do you still need figure / accessories?  Are you going after variations?

DBK

Hi Matt,
sorry for not responding sooner, shortly after you posting that question we lost the internet connection at home for about 4 days, so I kind of forgot to answer this question.  I was just looking at your collection pics and was reminded about it. 

I think I'm done except for a vinyl cape Jawa and some accessories.  A weapon or two here and there.  To be honest, I've really lapsed in paying attention to vintage since I got my Warok and blue snag. 

As far as variations go, what I think I need right now (from memory, not doing this post at home, so not positive) is a blue smock Ugnaught, small head Han Solo and that might be about it.  I've picked up both grey and white hair ben, brown haired Luke (farmboy and Bespin), collar/no collar Bespin Leia and a few others.  I'm sure Dale will poke his nose in and list about 75 other variations I could own, like different biker scout helmets or some other nonsense :P

For weapons I need a few standard Han blasters, probably one more Leia blaster, axe for a stoopid Ewok and that's about it.  Just haven't been really paying attention for a while.

All my figures are in pretty nice shape.  I wouldn't mind improving a few but it's hard to do without avoiding the risk of a poor grading on ebay.  If I'm going to pay the bucks for an upgrade, I really, really want it to be an improvement.  Probably my worst figure is Chewbacca - it seems everyone had one and everyone really liked playing with it.  Strange, I never thought he would give me difficulty.  I do have the green limbs version as well and would like to pick up a green bowcaster as well. 

I'll have to go through the collection around Christmas to check on what's missing and what needs upgrading.  I know the last 17 are all very nice, save for that accursed arm on EV-9D9.  It stays on fine, but knowing it comes off bugs me.  Most of the rest are nice from memory but I know once I look really closely, some will need to be upgraded.  Would love to find some thrashed cards for relatively cheap to replace them. 

Biggest pain is running out of room to display stuff.  I'm still very big into modern stuff so way too much in storage :-\  Not sure what I want to do with future stuff in the vinty line.  I was thinking trilogo, but think I've talked myself out of it for the most part, largely due to those really expensive pieces that will prevent a complete collection.  Always contemplate a full 12 back collection on somewhat downgraded cards but even that would be quite pricey. 

Unlike most people I don't have a really strong, driving attachment with nostalgia associated with the vintage line.  I appreciate the origins of the toys and now that I own them, I am extremely pleased with them.  But I just don't generate any childhood memories from them - I was just on the wrong side of 13 for the toys to be meaningful to me.  So finding packaging, carded, vehicles etc is cool, but not that important.  Blasphemy, I know.

BTW, I have a spare Warok, I think I read in your collection thread you need one?  If so, drop me a PM.  I don't remember how complete it is, so you might end up chasing something on it but I know it has the cowl and I believe the bow as well.  It might be missing the satchel thingy off his (her?) hip but I'll have to check.  I'm away on holidays starting this Friday, so nothing will happen quick, but if you're interested, LMK. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2004, 01:32 PM »
I'm sure Dale will poke his nose in and list about 75 other variations I could own, like different biker scout helmets or some other nonsense :P

:-X   ;D 

For starters, Hollow Cheek Tubes Tusken Raider! 74 more to go!  :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2004, 01:36 PM »
Y'know, I've been looking for that one as well, for quite some time.  But I so seldom see it, either singly or  in a lot, that I kind of gave up.   :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2004, 01:42 PM »
He's been around but as a single figure, big bucks compared to when I got mine.  :-\

VINTAGE TUSKEN RAIDER HOLLOW CHEEKS

Tusken Raider hollow cheeks tube

I'll have to check out what I paid for mine, can't remember off hand but not at those prices!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2004, 02:20 PM »
Thanks but no thanks at that price.  I'll save my money for the vinyl Jawa instead. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2004, 02:32 PM »
Yeah, best to go to the Vinyl Jawa at those prices. I know I got my Hollow Tusken from England & the seller had a few loose regular Tuskens, I just spotted the hollow tubes & took the chance that it would be the one he would send me, that chance paid off.    8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2004, 03:13 PM »
Exactly what I'm hoping.  Spot one in a lot and go from there.  So long as the figure is fine, I can find another cape and weapon down the road and save some money in the long run.  Patience.  Just like I need to exercise for the Droids droids.  Geez, my curse continues as prices shoot up ::)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2004, 09:45 PM »
You know i have a bunch of Tusken Raiders packed up with all my figures and I have no idea which versiuon sI have. I should really look because I have all the variant sthat I think I want but if I dont have this one, I think I may actually go after it. I kind of hope that I dont have it because then I can have a vintage item that I can go after. I have not bought a vintage figure in so long :(
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2004, 03:53 AM »
I got a nicely boxed B-Wing for $40 one year at the local Toy Show...  A woman was selling boxed Vinty Star Wars for very cheap.  Had I had more $ at the time I'd have walked out with at least a dozen vintage ships in mint boxes for well under their usual costs...  :(

Sucks to be poor sometimes.  The B-Wing was very appreciated though to me.  There was a Y-Wing I wish I could've afforded though too, for the same price.  Mintest boxes in history too, with all inserts and no stickers applied.  Actually I think the tape just faded off them over the years.

I never got the story why she was selling it all...  I dunno why she'd have had all that mint stuff for so cheap.  Oh well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2005, 11:46 AM »
To this point I got an imperial gunner for $20 w/o gun from a collectors shop and I think I got a decent deal on (all loose) a Yak Face, Imperial Dignatary, A-wing pilot, Imperial Gunner, pristine Y-wing, Falcon, Snow Speeder, Ewok Glider, Ewok catapult, Imperial Troop Trasport, 2 Endor Forest Ranger mini-rigs, desert skimmer and about 15 misc non POTF figures with accessories for $300.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2005, 02:16 PM »
Anthony,

Good for you.  So are you complete on the 100?

DBK

To this point I got an imperial gunner for $20 w/o gun from a collectors shop and I think I got a decent deal on (all loose) a Yak Face, Imperial Dignatary, A-wing pilot, Imperial Gunner, pristine Y-wing, Falcon, Snow Speeder, Ewok Glider, Ewok catapult, Imperial Troop Trasport, 2 Endor Forest Ranger mini-rigs, desert skimmer and about 15 misc non POTF figures with accessories for $300.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2005, 05:31 PM »
Last year, I got several pretty good deals on figures.

I picked up on eBay an EV9D9 and Barada w/ weapon for $30.  I don't remember if the auction was mislisted or something, but I just got lucky.

I managed to win Amanaman in two auctions in the same night, each I won for $40.  I ended up trading one for an A wing pilot.

I also picked up an ESB 41 back Bespin Han in probably C7 shape for $30.

I also got a number of deals on several Ep I figures near the end of the year.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.