Author Topic: Root Beer  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Root Beer
« on: September 25, 2003, 10:52 PM »
Is there anything better than an Ice Cold A&W Root Beer out of a frosty mug (besides a Guinness ;))

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Root Beer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 11:12 PM »
Having A&W Root Beer freshly made at one of their restaurants.
dustrho

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 12:20 AM »
The only thing better would be a frosty mug of root beer with a bowl of steaming crispy onion rings.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 12:43 AM »
Gotta have a double cheeseburger with that mug of fine caffiene-free sweetness.
Double burger. Chuck, I had a double burrgerrrr....
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 12:46 AM »
There are only 2 A&W Drive Ins left in the Minneapolis area when it seemed like every town used to have one...pretty sad because I'll agree on the O-Rings and the Cheeseburger...bliss

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 02:30 AM »
There's drive-up A&W in a small town near here, open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, IIRC. I typically go to a Long John Silver's/ A&W combo joint when I get a hankerin' for clogged arteries and root beer.

I tried frosting one of the mugs for myself at home, but I left it in the freezer too long and it broke when I set it on the counter. Damn, I'm out three bucks.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 03:00 AM »
Is there anything better than an Ice Cold A&W Root Beer out of a frosty mug (besides a Guinness ;))

Yeah, toss a couple scoops of Vanilla ice cream in there for a Root Beer Float!   8)

But Root Beer straight up is still pretty damned good!  It's the Unsung Hero of sodas...   ;)

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 04:19 AM »
Oddly, root beer gives me the worst damn headaches one could possibly imagine.  Like clutching my head in agony headaches.  That said I prefer a glass of iced tea over this death soda...

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 10:01 AM »

and right now, your A&W can comes with Legolas on it....Nope, I can't think of anything better than that. ;)
Beth

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 01:48 PM »
You know what bugs me?
Next time you're on a plane, try asking for a nice Root Beer instead of Pepsi or something.

They don't have it. None of them do.

It also annoyed me when I went to Europe and the hotel room service didn't even know what root beer was. They didn't have it in restaurants I went to over there either.
Got Clones?

obi_robz

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 06:26 PM »
It also annoyed me when I went to Europe and the hotel room service didn't even know what root beer was.
That’s very true – we don’t know what the hell root beer is :D.

I myself only found out last week over at RS when there was a thread about it and Lady Jaye posted a link to the “History of Root Beer”.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 07:55 PM »
A&W's are semi-common here now as parts of the Long John Silver combo franchise.

Unfortunately, my nearest LJS didn't combine, but the next 2 closest LJS's did combine with A&W.

But again unfortunately it seems LJS doesn't do a hot business.

What's better?  I would argue that Barq's rootbeer in a frosty mug is better. :)  A&W certainly is nothing to turn your nose to though, especially with a scoop (heaping) of vanilla in it!

Did anyone have a "Rax" around them by t he way?  What the hell happened to those?  There's only ONE left in PA that I know of...  Hardees is the same.  There's a single lone Hardees down in a small part of Pittsburgh near my ex's house.  We'd pass it taking this backroad to the one mall nearby.  

Rax and Hardees used to kick so much butt, and now they're gone.  :(

Pittsburgh's devoid of good fast food for the most part.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 08:32 PM »
So. . .

What's the difference between root beer and sarsaparilla?

(I had to look up "sarsaparilla" in the dictionary, for the spelling, and it was defined as "a tropical American plant; a soft drink made from its root.")

So then, of course, I had to look up what it said for "root beer", which was the following:

"A carbonated beverage flavored with syrup made from the extracted juices of roots, barks, and herbs."

Maybe sarsaparilla is just taken from the root of the sarsaparilla plant, while root beer is a mix of a whole bunch of stuff.

Or, then again, maybe it's a regional thing--different names for the same thing.  I know I don't see sarsaparilla here in Oklahoma, but I saw it a bunch during a road trip of the western U.S. a couple years ago.  Got some, of course, and it tasted pretty much the same as regular old root beer (to me, anyway).

Anyone got the low-down?  All I know is, if they're the same exact thing, I'm going to start saying "sarsaparilla" instead of root beer, because, I'm dumb, and I just think it sounds cooler.   8)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 08:32 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 10:40 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the same article I vaguely remember reading, but it answers your question anyway.

He likes sarsaparilla, too, which may taste like root beer but isn't. America used to drink sarsaparilla, says the king -- now it can't even spell it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 10:41 PM by Jedi Idej »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 10:56 PM »
The only thing better would be a frosty mug of root beer with a bowl of steaming crispy onion rings.

Yum, yum. I'm with ya. Lunch tomorrow.
As for a Root Beer Float, I have not had one of those in years. My taste buds are going crazy. I think I may have to make one tonight!  ;)