Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 104980 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: New Line has license for 'The Hobbit'
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 11:39 AM »
They would also need to have ....i'm too lazy to remember or look up the dude who played Elrond...back for the Hobbit.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 04:25 PM »
* Some discussion on The Hot Blog

* Much less articulate ::) discussion on AICN Talkback ... but there's some good analysis and debate mixed in there, I promise.

* MGM weighs in
All of this has riled MGM, which in recent weeks has been openly touting the fact that the newly revamped studio is serious about making "The Hobbit" -- with Jackson.

An MGM spokesman said that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing 'The Hobbit' films is far from closed."

Though New Line no-commented inquiries about Jackson's statement, the mini-major's move is a loud statement to both MGM and Jackson that the studio is in the driver's seat when it comes to "The Hobbit."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:37 PM by Nathan »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 11:53 PM »
* Random rumor: Sam Raimi offered The Hobbit?

* McKellen speaks.
The LOTR fans are already expressing a sense of betrayal.  On my own account, I am very sad as I should have relished re-visiting Middle Earth with Peter again as team-leader.  It's hard to imagine any other director matching  his achievement in Tolkien country.  We will have to await developments but being an optimist I am hoping that New Line, MGM and Wingnut can settle outstanding problems so that the long expected "Hobbit" is filmed sooner rather than later.

* Saul Zaentz speaks. (AICN from IMDB from TheHobbit-Movie.com from an interview on Elbenwald.de)
It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. ... Next year The Hobbit rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the Rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us, in contrast, he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.
(Note that this was apparently some 3 weeks ago, before the recent controversy.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 12:02 AM by Nathan »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 10:33 AM »
Just goes to show you that money is the most important commodity in movies, not talent, story or craft. Very frustrating.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Quotes from the Sun that Jackson will be directing.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004580002-2006550342,00.html

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 11:25 AM »
JRR's great-grandson speaks (not terribly useful, I know)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Doesn't sound very good for a Peter Jackson Hobbit film, at least under the current studio heads at New Line:

New Line Blacklists Jackson

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Shaye, who was also an executive producer on the Rings films, added: "He got a quarter of a billion dollars paid to him so far, justifiably, according to contract, completely right, and this guy, who already has received a quarter of a billion dollars, turns around without wanting to have a discussion with us and sues us and refuses to discuss it unless we just give in to his plan. I don't want to work with that guy anymore. Why would I? So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company."

Shaye said that many of the Rings trilogy actors "suddenly, because, I'm guessing, of Peter's complaint," have declined to participate in celebrating New Line's 40th anniversary. "I'm incredibly offended," he said. "I don't care about Peter Jackson anymore. He wants to have another $100 million or $50 million, whatever he's suing us for. He doesn't want to sit down and talk about it. He thinks that we owe him something after we've paid him over a quarter of a billion dollars. ... Cheers, Peter."

All of this sounds very familiar to me, somehow...
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 02:27 AM »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 09:43 AM »
While I can't say that Jackson is justified not to sit down and talk, all the amounts that Shaye is talking about are probably only a portion of monies owed. Yeah, a quarter of a billion dollars might be a lot to get paid, ut how would you feel if you were owed another quarter billion?

Besides, Shaye is probably crying because the money New Line owes Jackson comes out of his bonus for profits made by New Line from the film.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:46 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 07:39 PM »
One thing I agree with that the AICN reporter commented on, I don't like having to read about that part of the business.

But, it's no secret that the accountants took over making films from the directors a long time ago.  It's only recently with films by Lucas and Rodriguez where we're starting to see directors take back some of that power.  This whole deal between New Line and Jackson sucks and the only people that could get shafted are the fans if the Hobbit sucks because NL changes the entire production, writing and directing team (not to mention the FX crew). 

Personally, I don't want to see the Hobbit if Jackson doesn't make it.  I don't doubt that there are other directors that could make the film, but one thing that I would love to see is a consistency in the production that would make a cohesive 4 film epic along with LOTR and I think Jackson can do that.  Someone else would have to put their own spin on things and that would ruin it for me. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 09:33 PM »
What amazes me about all of this is that Shaye is totally willing to disregard the success that Peter Jackson and his made of LOTR, and that the fans of the movie hold PJ responsible for that success, not New Line.  Add in the fact that even if New Line tries to push The Hobbit and whatever other Tolkien project forward, many of the fans and actors that Peter Jackson drew in are probably going to be loyal to PJ and Wingnut/Weta.  What fans of movies are loyal to a studio?  People are fans of actors and directors, and the sooner Shaye realizes this, then the sooner he might actually save his career.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 06:09 PM »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:10 PM by Nathan »