Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' movie  (Read 105274 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 'The Hobbit' movie
« Reply #390 on: November 6, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Warrin' and whorin' but never borin'

Looks like it'll be an exciting ending with some heavy emotion.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 6, 2014, 07:16 PM »
...and that's only part 1 of the Battle of Five armies.  ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #392 on: December 17, 2014, 04:39 AM »
I've read two absolutely stellar reviews of Five Armies, who is going this weekend? 

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #393 on: December 17, 2014, 08:46 AM »
I'm going Saturday.   8)
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 17, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I saw Part 3 last night. It was pretty good, and while nowhere near as good as LOTR it was easily the best of the Hobbit films. Lots of action and a good bit of emotion as expected.

The only thing that bothered me was maybe half of the CGI. Some stuff, like Smaug and Azog, were amazing. Other stuff, like Dain and the Elf army, looked poorly done and stood out like a sore thumb. At some points during the battle sequence I couldn't help but think of the animated Beowulf movie from 2007 as there was so much obvious CGI crowding the frame.

Overall it was a good movie to close out the saga. I still think everything could have been condensed into two films, but it was nice to spend a few extra hours in New Zealand Middle-Earth.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #395 on: December 17, 2014, 10:07 AM »
It is almost surreal but this thread is over 11 years old...wowzers, for a good time and drama read from page 1.  I am still not convinced that this needed to be 3 movies and the biggest complaints I have read are along those lines.  Early on there was speculation that the first movie was the Hobbit and the second was going to be a bridge movie between the two books.  That might have been better 2 Hobbit movies and bridge...oh well, still excited for this weekend

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 17, 2014, 11:21 AM »
This is over simplified, but.....
All three LOTR books are masterpieces.
The Hobbit is "only" great.
So just by math The Hobbit movie wouldn't have been as good if it had been one movie let alone made into three movies that are all diluted from the book material and then also crammed full of other sources to make them 2+ hours. So I think we got what was to be expected from the Hobbit trilogy of movies.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:26 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #397 on: December 17, 2014, 04:34 PM »
I agree Nick.  The Hobbit wasn't intended to be LOTR, but rather a little simpler, and so the story I think got a just adaptation from Jackson.  He said he wanted to beef it up to the level of LOTR and I think he took it from "kid's book" to that pretty well.  It wasn't ever going to be as good, but it was good.

I think it could've been two fairly long films, but I think 3 was fine ultimately.  I'll happily buy these as a set when they're out I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #398 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37 PM »
I saw it today and liked it.  Some nice LOTR nods and it ended just like I thought it would.

Well worth seeing in the theater.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 21, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Saw it yesterday.  I thought it was just meh.  Not bad, but okay.

Too much battle and not enough plot, which I think was the danger of making this book in to three movies.

I agree with the previous comments that LOTR was far superior.  I've watch all of the LOTR movies several times afterwards.

This was entertaining, but I'm not sure I'll ever seek out The Five Armies to watch again.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 22, 2014, 12:38 AM »
Saw a showing tonight... 3D and a high frame rate, which I definitely do NOT recommend seeing. Felt like I was watching something on display TVs at Best Buy/ Ignoring that, I liked it less than the first Hobbit but a lot, lot more than the second Hobbit. I still stand by my remarks that the entire second movie was completely pointless, and this never should have been more than two movies, but oh well. I'll probably buy a box set for cheap sometime in the future to complete my LOTR set.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #401 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Saw it over the weekend, and I would say it was about what I expected.  A lot of death and destruction...  Sets up LotR nicely but doesn't overdo it too much with the references.  It wraps up some relationships, a lot of reconciliation and all that.

I was a little miffed at how they handled some aspects of it, like drifting from the actual battle to focus on characters specifically far away from the action.  Hard to explain but it detracted something for me.  Plus it basically pulls you away from ALL these other characters you care about till the very end...  It was odd is all.

The Hobbit is not LotR and never will be.  It's ok though, and fun.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #402 on: December 30, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Agreed with a lot of the takes here, saw it and liked it just fine.  All three together were a good and I'm glad they were made but man were three movies pointless.  Also agreed that LoTR is possibly right up there with the OT and the Indy movies for me and these were nowhere near that. 

I also saw the HFR version and I really hate the look, like Travis said it is almost like watching TV and it just doesn't do it for me

I really would like to see some of the Middle Earth prequels as some of those stories are amazing but not sure I want PJ leading anything moving forward  :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #403 on: December 30, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Also agreed that LoTR is possibly right up there with the OT and the Indy movies for me and these were nowhere near that.

Best way to sum it up IMO. 

The Hobbit is in my memory like the Prequals are for Star Wars...  I'll watch them, but I'll never watch them like I did the OT.

And likewise I'd put LOTR right up there with Indy and the OT. 

KotCS falls into that Prequal/The Hobbit category by the way.  I'll watch it, but with some eye rolling.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #404 on: December 31, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I'd love to watch one of these HFR in 2D.  I saw the first in 3D and it still didn't work great for me.  The couple scenes were everything was moving slowly looked pretty awesome, but any time there was the slightest action all I see is blur or double-images.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj