Author Topic: Costco Appreciation Thread!  (Read 9735 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Costco Appreciation Thread!
« on: September 27, 2003, 11:35 PM »
So, who else LOVES shopping at Costco (p/k/a/ Price Club)?!  For those of you who aren't familiar with the store, it's just a HUGE discount warehouse full of absolutely EVERYTHING, for cheap (a lot of it in bulk)!  We're talking TVs, computers, clothes, books, DVDs, CDs, alcohol, tools, food, furniture, tires, their own gas station, etc., etc, etc...  It's great!

We recently got a membership when my Mom was in town helping us move.  It's the first time I've had a membership there since about 10 years ago, in my early collegiate days...  Funny story about how we got our FREE membership (it's usually like $45 a year, or so).  My Mom and aunt took my wife over to our local Costco about 3 minutes away.  In order to be (free) on my Mom's membership, my wife Patty had to somehow be "connected" to someone else already on her membership card.  So my Mom told them Patty was my sister's "partner"...   :o   :P  So apparently my wife is therefore now a lesbian ("not that there's anything wrong with being gay" - Seinfeld)...

Anyways, we finally made our first trip over there this afternoon, and it was almost as fun as hanging out in Best Buy (my favorite store).  I browsed the widescreen TVs, computers, clothes, DVDs, CDs, and other assorted goodies, while Patty was off buying food and supplies by the truckload.  Unfortunately, we only had an hour in there before they closed, so our trip was cut short.  But we still managed to do almost $300 in damage there by the time we had checked out.

Not to mention all the tasty samples of food and beverage they often have around the store!  Enough to qualify for a nice square meal if you make the rounds in their entirety!  8)

Needless to say, we'll be visiting there a lot more often from now on.  Might even be buying a new computer and TV from them pretty soon too!  So who else has a Costco membership, and loves shopping there?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 11:55 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Costco Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 08:08 PM »
My gf works there so I have a free lifetime membership!  I love the prices on books, but you have to watch out for other things.  Sometimes stuff there just seems cheap until you do a little math.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 08:28 PM »
So it's kind of like a Sam's Club? I think that they have some around here, but I'm not sure. I've never been in one before.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 08:55 PM »
It's just like a Sam's Club but better.  I love Costco, and my wife have had a subscription for a long time now.  We get anything we can there, and like Matt said it's usually in bulk.  They have a lot of great deals, but some of the stuff they sell is overpriced.  So, you just have to pay attention to their prices.  It's well worth the $40/year membership.
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 11:05 PM »
So my Mom told them Patty was my sister's "partner"...      So apparently my wife is therefore now a lesbian

I'm sorry Matt, that must have been a result of the time she spent with me :-*  Or maybe all that time sitting in the box.

I like Costco, but have great difficulty with the folks it attracts.  I consider myself to be fairly courteous and don't try to leave my cart in the way or let my child run rampant through the store terrorizing staff, stock and customers.  I seem to be fairly unique, at least at our Costco.  

Nonetheless, still great deals, but as Darth Paul indicates, caution is in order.  Some simple math often severely limits my spending.  Now if only ours carried more toys.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 02:47 PM »
So...  Looks like Costco is now selling coffins in their stores.  Excellent.  I was just thinking on my next trip there that I needed to pick up a few DVDs, some Gatorade, a big ass bag of chips, a few steaks, and a cheap $800 casket.  Glad I can do that all in one fell swoop now...   8)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 03:06 PM »
"Third-party suppliers have been around for a while now," said Walkinshaw. "Costco is pricing caskets at $800, but many funeral homes offer caskets for much less than that amount. I don't think this will change the landscape of the market."

Sorry pal.  Not that I've bought alot of caskets, but aren't funeral homes marking these up like 8,000%?  I know my grandfather's was at least $5K and probably more.  Show me one funeral home that sells caskets for less than $800 (and I'm not talking the old Dracula wood ones, either)

Now the real question is, do you have to buy more than one to get the bulk rate?  Take the family to Costco and get a great deal when you buy in bulk.  Get those kids thinking about their mortality early.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 03:18 PM »
I tried Costco when I moved to Dallas.  I couldn't find anything about it, price-wise or product-wise that convinced me it was any better than Sam's - so I still use Sam's.

But I barely ever go at all.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 03:24 PM »
Caskets won't change your mind?

I saw a show on PBS a few weeks ago about how people are starting to rebel against the standard funeral.  American's pay like 3 times more than Europeans do to bury the dead.  The embalming process and price of caskets being the two big costs of the whole deal

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 03:34 PM »
Caskets won't change your mind?

Okay, you're right - obviously this is now something they can do to distinguish themselves in my mind from Sam's.

That is, until 2 months from now when Sam's has a line of caskets of their own.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 03:53 PM »

When I die, I'm going home in this lovely Arkansas Razorback model, hopefully my wife respects my wishes on this one...

Here is one I have picked out for my lover, he'll love it

Here is one for you Brian!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 04:39 PM »
Here's mine:

Shouldn't the logos be rotated so the person who's actually in the casket for all of eternity can read them???   ???
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 04:39 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 06:28 PM »
okay, this might be a silly question, but here goes... what would one do with a casket if purchased at costco, until the time arises when you need to use it?? or would you just wait till the time is right to go and pick one up? what if they are out of stock when you needed it?? can you maybe put it on layaway for 40 or so years until you need it??

:D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 06:30 PM »
can you maybe put it on layaway for 40 or so years until you need it??

Or just 15-20 in Dale's case.   ;D

Well, actually, he did stop smoking finally, so maybe I should bump that up to 20-25 instead...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 05:50 PM »

When I die, I'm going home in this lovely Arkansas Razorback model, hopefully my wife respects my wishes on this one...

Here is one I have picked out for my lover, he'll love it

Here is one for you Brian!

Said to see I've gotten no props for these caskets I picked out :'(