Author Topic: Cityscape  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Cityscape
« on: May 10, 2004, 07:04 PM »
I've decided to post one of my first attempts at a photoshoping here, after about a year. This cityscape was created by me last year and I suppose it's my capital city, it draws it's influences from Corucasnt, New York, Tokyo, Chicago and partly Hong Kong. I suppose I'll call this city Valamonchor, after the infamous empire I built in an RTS game soooo many years ago. Without further adew, here it is:

Constructive critism more than welcome.  :)

- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Cityscape
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 07:54 PM »
It's somewhat rugged looking, and I like that. I really like the perspective of the engines coming at you from an angle. I also like the clouds hanging over the city. For an early work I think it's pretty good.

Ya gotta kill the imperial watermark though,  :P

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 03:46 PM »
Thanks, I decided to put the Imperial watermark out of boredome really. Kinda like a 'what the hell, might as well' type things.

Thanks for the Kind remarks.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 08:11 PM »
Not too shabby. It's roughness and sketchy layout is your major strength as Brad mentioned. My advice for future cityscapes would be to explore and utilize perspective. There are tons of web resources that give the basic premise and approach to 1, 2, 3 & more point perspective. This will add a lot of dimension to what you have. It feels a little flat because the line work and much ofthe supporting city area is the same. Depth can be accheived by using thinner or thicker lines and darker or lighter values. Ususally the dark and thick lines and details are frontmost and they thin and lighten up as things go further back.  The composition is strong and that has to do with repetition, especially with the clouds and how it breaks up the business of the city lines and shapes. Keep at it is all I can say and the more you try and experiment and practice, the better you will get.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Thanks Thomas, I'll definatley kepp this in mind, I have some new cityscapes since last year and once they're done I'll post 'em.