Author Topic: SE Greedo Scene: Was it just poor execution?  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: SE Greedo Scene: Was it just poor execution?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 11:43 PM »
The only real difference that I see is that Han's head doesn't jerk so bad, he tilts his head barely, as if the shot just tickled his ear (although it is, as said, 2 ft away)...

If the real OT doesn't make it out on DVD soon after the SE, I'm buying the bootleggs. Take that, George.

Link works fine for me.  

'Course, I don't care any more.  My original OT showed up yesterday.  Han's the only one that shot and Luke isn't screaming like a big baby.  

But I still blame the Ewoks :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 11:49 PM »
Working now...and I think the shot looks a ton better for what he wants it to be.  The SE version was horribly choppy and the CG work was pretty bad

Is the CGI work bad because of the technology of the time or the rush to get these out in 1997???

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 12:33 AM »
It's mostly the era Scott...  The advancements in CGI since 1997 are HUUUGE.  A lot of it is thanks in part to ILM themselves who've had to literally create new techniques as they went along in film making for the prequals...  Other companies like Pixar are adding to this too.

The work on the LOTR trilogy made some huge advancements itself.  When I saw the way Helm's Deep came together and how it was pretty much a program set up just for that battle, it really put into perspective (for me) the way they advanced things a lot.

In 1997 the effects from CGI were still really "new", and not nearly as fluid and realistic as they are today.  At the time they were really cutting edge though.  Just as effects in the original trilogy as it originally was were amazing to people at the time.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 09:56 AM »
Hmmm, well with that said methinks this almost looks flawless and fix some pretty bad errors.  Hopefully they revisit some of those Landspeeder scenes as well...heck all of the stuff they did in the SE (with the exception of the ANH fight which was great work) should be revisited and brought up to snuff.  There are parts of TPM and AOTC that I can't even tell are CGI...compare Jar Jar to Jabba SE and you can really tell how far things went in even 2 years