Author Topic: SE Greedo Scene: Was it just poor execution?  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
SE Greedo Scene: Was it just poor execution?
« on: October 1, 2003, 08:11 PM »
Imagine if you will, a scene from the "Ultimate" edition of ANH on DVD in 2006:

Greedo threatens Han, while Han silently pulls his blaster from the holster. Then, just as you instinctively cringe to watch the poorly edited "Greedo shooting first", your draw drops as an entirely new image plays out: Greedo shoots with precise aim, but Han rolls smoothly to the right, clears his blaster above the table, and burns a hole in Greedo's chest.

All of it clean and clear (the way George really wants it) redone on stage with Harrison Ford's face painstakingly mapped onto a double's head.

Would the scene be passable in your eyes then?

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: SE Greedo Scene: Was it just poor execution?
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2003, 08:56 PM »
Why couldn't they just leave it alone in the first place? :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2003, 09:02 PM »
It would be better, but still not as I would prefer it to be, which would be how it was in the original.  Han NOT shooting first severely alters his character.  If he's just defending himself following an errant shot by Greedo, he's not such a ruthless scoundrel at the beginning of ANH, and therefore his evolution into a Rebel hero isn't nearly as dramatic and impressive.  That's what I think most people are forgetting here...

But your idea Bobb would technically and realistically look much better on the screen, and be more believable.  I mean c'mon, a bounty hunter missing his stationary target from 3 feet away?  Puhleeeeze!   ::)  But simply polishing up Greedo's miss and Han's retaliation in the SE still wouldn't have the same effect as the original scene...   :-\
« Last Edit: October 1, 2003, 09:06 PM by JediMAC »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2003, 09:20 PM »
I would prefer it to be the original shot, with Han shooting Greedo first.  I hate that part in the Special Edition, and hopefully they'll remove it from the DVD version (whenever that comes out).
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2003, 12:24 AM »
I like it originally, and that's how (In my mind) it plays out every time...  I just ignore the SE, though that is the "Canon" way of things and I'm just being stubborn in my way of thinking.

With that said, your idea is better than what it is now Muftak, so it'd ease the pain somewhat.  I maybe would "accept" it a little better.

Still, I enjoyed Han as a murderer...  He's ruthless, and willing to kill before there's a chance he'd even be in legitimate danger.  I like that he really does redeem himself under that story pretense, but as it is now he's just not as "bad" as he was before.

So, I'll still always just imagine Han frying Greedo like a punk before he could take him to Jabba to talk his way out of it.

It was so much better that way, but alas Lucas has been wussed out in his old age and worries that his kids will have nightmares about the Brocolli man being shot by "Uncle Harrison".
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2003, 06:01 PM »

It was so much better that way, but alas Lucas has been wussed out in his old age and worries that his kids will have nightmares about the Brocolli man being shot by "Uncle Harrison".

I blame the Ewoks >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 04:51 PM »
I'd buy a copy of the Original Star Wars, but I'd also pick up a version that included some portions of the Special Edition (minus the ****) plus new additions to the film to make an Ultimate Edition.

Han shot first. In fact, he was the only who who shot. Period.

Offline Darth Moribund

• Banned
  • Youngling
  • "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 07:27 AM »
 ...after all, Han is a scoundrel. Something like him shooting first is awsome ! It defines his character. He wasn't gonna die, ya know ! That SE scene is possibly the only thing i soooo hated about the reissued movies, Greedo shooting first !
   "Ooota goota Solo?"
Souless eyes hypnotize. Mesmerize the thoughts inside your brain. The pain. The thoughts of going insane ! I will not die in vain !

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 03:25 AM »
Looks like this scene got a slight tweaking for the upcoming DVD.  Check out this leaked clip (thanks to Tydirium for the head's up).   ;)

I can't really get too good a view of it on my crappy laptop at home, but it sounds like Han has a bit more of a jump, than just a quick head tilt, to avoid Greedo's blaster shot.  Sounds slightly better, but the change as a whole (from the S.E.) still sucks ass.  Han should shoot first, and if not, Greedo should at the very least not be missing him by two feet, from one foot away...

Stupid George.   ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 10:44 AM »
I can't get the video to play, I seem to have that problem a lot with wmv files

I'll have to watch it later tonight

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 01:28 PM »
Looks like this scene got a slight tweaking for the upcoming DVD.  Check out this leaked clip (thanks to Tydirium for the head's up).   ;)

I can't really get too good a view of it on my crappy laptop at home, but it sounds like Han has a bit more of a jump, than just a quick head tilt, to avoid Greedo's blaster shot.  Sounds slightly better, but the change as a whole (from the S.E.) still sucks ass.  Han should shoot first, and if not, Greedo should at the very least not be missing him by two feet, from one foot away...

Stupid George.   ::)

It still looks the same to me except for Han not having to tilt his head to avoid the shot.  Greedo still misses by two feet some Bounty Hunter he made.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 03:58 PM »
The only real difference that I see is that Han's head doesn't jerk so bad, he tilts his head barely, as if the shot just tickled his ear (although it is, as said, 2 ft away)...

If the real OT doesn't make it out on DVD soon after the SE, I'm buying the bootleggs. Take that, George.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 06:40 PM »
Just got a better look at this here at the office.  Eh.  Not much better IMO.  Han just seems to jump a tiny bit, as if startled by Greedo's shot.  Not necessarily a jump to get out of the way of the shot though.

I guess the only way you can watch this scene and maintain your sanity (and fandom) is to assume it's just a "warning shot" from Greedo, to scare Han, and not actually kill him.

Yeah, I know.  That doesn't really work either.  But the alternative is much worse, that a notorious Bounty Hunter in the Star Wars universe can't shoot an immobile object sitting right in front of his nose...   ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 08:50 PM »
Crap...linky no worky anymore.  Anyone have a new link??

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 09:14 PM »
Link works fine for me. Must be your end Scott.