Author Topic: Any Purchases You Regret?  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Any Purchases You Regret?
« on: October 6, 2003, 11:18 AM »
After recently reorganizing my collection a week or so ago, I got to looking at some of my figures, and kind of wondering why I bought a few things.  Do any of you have any purchasing regrets....whether it be that you overpaid for a certain item in retrospect, or you maybe purchased a figure because it was the ONLY new thing you have seen in months, or maybe a certain figure was an "impulse buy"?  I noticed a few figures that I had purchased that ended up being either packed away, or tucked in the back of the display it seems.  Here's a few that caught my eye, personally:

"Total Control" Mace Windu - Ok, it is kind of fun to play with, and honestly, I never would have gotten this figure but for the fact that I hadn't seen anything for awhile, and I had read quite a few reviews from people saying it wasn't that bad, and was pretty fun to play with.  I only paid retail for it, but looking back now, and with the space issues I have, it probably wasn't necessary.

Anakin vs. Geonosian Deluxe - This was one of those periods where I hadn't seen much new for awhile, and I was still all hyped up from Episode II.  I really don't know why I bought this...the Anakin is horrible, and I don't even have either of these figures displayed now.

Jedi Council Yoda - I buy every Yoda figure pretty much, since he's one of my favorites...so I guess in some ways I don't regret it...but looking at the figure now, it just doesn't seem like that great of a figure...and a rehash to boot anyways.

Tusken w/ Massiff - Ok, not a horrible figure, but it is tucked back behind the Republic Gunship right now due to lack of room.  Also, another rehash...and the newer Saga version of the Tusken (removable head one), is so much better IMO.

C-3PO with Removable Panels - Again, not terrible I guess...has some fun "play value" to some extent.  I am always a sucker for characters that were in the OT as well too...but this is another figure that gets "tucked to the back"

For a non-Saga example: I once paid $20 for an Episode I Obi-Wan (soft goods skirt), only to see this figure at K-B about two weeks later for $1.99.  Ouch :).

Since this is getting long, a few others that get "tucked away":

4/23 Padme Arena
OPD Anakin
Geo Rescue Mace

Anyways, have any of you ever experienced any situations like this?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Any Purchases You Regret?
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2003, 12:23 PM »
A long time ago and more than $10K I regret purchasing an orange carded Vader....

Oh sorry, wrong section.

Deluxe - almost all
Now that I have the arena I am happy to have the C3PO droid builder and the Yoda deluxe.  The geonosian on the hive is ok and I'm ok with the Mace with battle droid.  The Nexu is fine.  All the force flipping and the deluxe Jango (1st) suck.  If I could take them back, I would.  The later Jango and Obi deluxe are fine, but I wish I'd never obtained the droid builder thingy.  

regular - few.
droid factory flight R2 - yeacch.  
clone pilot - only because I seem to have 15 of them now :o  How the hell did that happen ???
Tusken and Massiff.  I completely agree but given that the rh Tusken never showed in Canada, I'm happy to have another TR anyway, I just wish I didn't have so many.  Oops.  

I'm sure I'll remember a few others, but mostly it's been good.  Would've been a whole lot better without the "action" features.  A bunch of figures that would otherwise be fine are essentially ruined in some respect.  big toothpick in the back, poor slashing/throwing action...

Still, happy to have new toys.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2003, 03:53 PM »
I regret buying duped into buying the shuttle...I love the ship and am glad I have it but the fact I paid $80+ more than I needed to sucks.  Damn you FAO and Damn you Hasbro for misleading everyone!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2003, 04:11 PM »
Any figure from the earlier E1 waves.

What the hell was I thinking?  Those things were uber clearanced later and I just didn't wait.  You live and learn, so I didn't make the same mistake for E2, and some of the really uninteresting POTJ figures like Qui Gon Farmer, Anakin Mechanic, etc...

Beyond that, and maybe buying a b-Wing at full price, I'm pretty happy I got what I did at the prices I have gotten them.  

Though I know I've overpaid for some vintage things, namely my A-Wing and a couple other figures, but you live and learn in that hobby too, and I got those things EONS ago it seems.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 6, 2003, 05:58 PM »
One thing that comes to mind are my two Marmit figures. Dang they look cool, but DANG they break easy. And how do I display them? They just stand there... looking cool... like articulated statues. Yippee.

I was thinking about making dioramas for them, like a TIE cockpit for my TIE Pilot, but DANG that's a lot of time and effort I just don't have right now. And I was waiting for the TRU Dewback to go on clearance so my Sandtrooper'd have a ride, but DANG that's a big lizard and what the heck would I do with another 12" Sandtrooper inferior to the first?

I'd sooner have the money back than make those purchases again.

Dang.
Post sober.

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 6, 2003, 09:43 PM »
I sorta regret buying some Lego stuff earlier this year.  I was not able to find any new figures, so I started picking up Lego stuff.  Well now that stuff is just in a box shoved in my closet.  I do not even have it displayed.  I have been thinking about trading or selling it.  Or maybe even taking everything apart and starting over again.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: October 7, 2003, 01:38 AM »
I regret buying into the Action Fleet line. I should have known I'd never complete it, and sure enough, I was right. I wanted the E-Wing because I'm a sucker for Rebel ships. Never even saw it except for a picture. Never saw the B-Wing, Virago, Rancor, most of the later stuff.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: October 7, 2003, 03:03 AM »
Well, I can say that from a technical standpoint, I don't regret buying anything, since I'm a raving lunatic completist.  As such, I'm like a collecting machine that buys at least two of everything, for the carded and loose collections.

BUT...  if you asked me if I was disappointed in any of the actual figures that I bought, I'd obviously say hell yeah!  There's definitely been a fair amount of duds in the Saga line, that I cringe at the thought of "having to" buy (too many to list here), but that's just how it goes when I collect the way that I do, so I've got no one to blame but myself for that!  :P

Granted, I still like to spout off at Hasbro for their occasional shortcomings, but that's an entirely seperate issue...  ;)

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 7, 2003, 12:58 PM »
To start with, I am not a completist, but if it's not EU or a rehash, then odds are about 98% that I bought it.   Reading through these posts, I am so glad I pick carefully.  I only had Matt buy 3 of the Star Tour Droids for me and I am VERY happy with those 3.  I did not buy the Jedi Council Yoda because it was a repaint, didn't buy Anakin vs. Geonosian Deluxe (or any Deluxe Saga fig other than the Nexu, C3PO droid builder, Yoda deluxe, and the geonosian in the hive) because they all looked terrible.  The ones I bought, I am happy with.  I just bought the Shuttle from KBToys.com for a total of $86 including shipping and while I still think that is too high, it's better than anything I've seen.   I am dissappointed in some of action features and extreme poses, but I would still buy them.  

The main thing I regret is my early POTF2 purchases.   I started collecting late (I'm guessing '98), so I made a LOT of eBay purchases to catch up.  I have all (Non EU) POTF2 figures starting with Luke, Vader, 3PO & R2 in July of '95.   If I had only waited, then I wouldn't have overpaid for the He-Man steriod figures and had the newer, better sculpted figures from the later POTF2 run in '99 and the POTJ figures.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2003, 08:48 AM by obi-dad »

Offline Dengar

• Youngling
  • Vintage Rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 7, 2003, 01:34 PM »
I am a completist for the most part when it comes to the basic figures.  I have passed on most of the deluxe figures.  I just don't care for them that much.  I have even thought about parting with the ones I have or either to open them or soemthing.  

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: October 7, 2003, 03:55 PM »
I have completist tendancies - as long as it looks decent (which means I don't have but a fraction of what's been out there on the shelves).

I regret most of the POTF2 line...  :-X

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 9, 2003, 02:17 AM »
Saga Qui-Gon
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 9, 2003, 10:50 AM »
I regret paying $14.00 for Aayla Secura, Barriss Offee, Padme (Droid Factory), Imperial Officer, Teebo.  Because just 3 weeks after i paid $14, for them they had cases of them at the local Wal-Mart, but i guess since i got them right when they were released in February, it's not so bad.  But i was ticked i paid a total of $80 for just 5 figures, and i could of got them all for $25, if i would of waited.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 9, 2003, 12:52 PM »
But i was ticked i paid a total of $80 for just 5 figures, and i could of got them all for $25, if i would of waited.

Yes, patience is the key to collecting.  You should try to hold yourself back from paying scalper prices for figures.  BTW, you paid $70 for five figures, no?  If they were $14 each, and you bought five, the total comes out to $70 (unless you paid $16 per figure).   :)  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2003, 01:40 PM »
sorry , i calculated wrong.  it actually came to $90, becasue i had bought an Ephant Mon for $20.  
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)