Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 84788 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The NBA is back!
« Reply #30 on: November 8, 2003, 12:27 AM »
Huh?  Wha?  Basket weaving?  

Whatchou talkin' 'bout, Willis?   :-*

Yep, that's about the type of basketball knowledge I'd expect from a Celtics fan.  Thanks for chiming in finally Brent.   :-*

Now can somebody please tell me what the hell I just watched on the tube?  Looked something like the Lakers getting their asses kicked by the Hornets, but that can't possibly be, can it?  We're supposed to be undefeated this year, so I must've just been seeing things, I'm sure...   ::)

Ugh.  That was ugly on many, many levels.  Maybe if they hadn't needlessly dorked around with the Spurs for 3 1/2 hours last night, they wouldn't have looked so damned pathetic tonight.

Oh well.  I guess I can settle for 81-1.  I think...   :-\  At least the Kings went down tonight as well!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: November 8, 2003, 12:33 AM »
Twolves held McGrady to 4 points tonight...not 40, not 14 not 44, 4...what was I saying about shooting?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2003, 06:51 PM »
Did I just read this right Scott...?

How about a team that starts 4 Future Hall of Famers? The Lakers have to be the favorites (A strong case can be said for the Spurs) until proved otherwise

Well said buddy!   :-*

Still crazy to see where the other "Big 4 teams" currently are in the standings, and what teams are above them.  Things aren't right in the NBA.  Party due to major injuries, but beyond that, the LOW scoring is just freakishly bizarre.  T-Mac (as opposed to JediMAC) held to 4 points?  WTF's going on?!

Bring back the high scoring 80's dammit!  These guys need to learn how to shoot the ball from outside of 10 feet (and inside of 24)...   ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2003, 12:16 AM »
While I hate the Lakers I am realistic...if Kobe goes to jail though they slip to #5 of the pack

The Wolves are starting to get healthy, not worried just yet as the Maves, Spurs and Kings are also struggling

Read a headline over at ESPN that said that T-MAC wanted to quit...I think we have a new Cry Baby

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2003, 03:23 PM »
Thought I'd dig up this thread for the fun of it.  A little NBA news this week (and last), with Doc out in Orlando and Bill in Chicago.  Sounds like Skiles might be the next man in charge of the baby Bulls.  Sad news about Zo as well, I was really hoping this comeback would work out for him.  A great competitor that unfortunately played on some bad teams the last few years he played.  Plus, I thought if he played up to his prime, the Nets could at least resemble some competition to some of the West teams.  On that note, wow is the difference even wider this year?  Basically the first place team in the Atlantic (East) wouldn't even make the playoffs in the West.  Yikes.  Oh, and what's up with this Ronald Murray?  Another good story :).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2003, 02:49 PM »
Definitely bummed about Alonzo Mourning having to call it quits.  I thought having a real big man like him would put the Nets over the top.  But, in the same regard, I had someone close to me die from kidney disease, so I fully understand him calling it a day to pay attention to his health.

The most weird thing about the whole situation is that people are coming out of the woodwork to offer a kidney to him.  I'm sure he appreciates the sentiment, but there are so many other people who need a kidney more desperately and are still waiting.  In many cases their family members can't donate to people who need kidneys for whatever reason.  And perfect strangers are offering their kidneys to Alonzo Mourning?  It's just very strange, especially coming from my perspective.  I was willing to be a donor, but the tissue match just wasn't there.  Having a bevy of strangers offering kidneys to him because he's a superstar athlete they don't even know is just a couple of steps beyong bizarre.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2003, 03:19 PM »
that's weird... i don't think i would donate a kidney to anyone i didn't know, famous or not. one of my friends needed a kidney transplant a few years back, and i took the tests to see if i could be a donor, but i wasn't a good match. but that's a friend that i have had for almost 12 years now, and that's the only reason i offered my kidney. i would never even think about offering a kidney up for someone that i didn't personally know, at least in passing. besides, i'm sure my kidney's aren't in the best of shape. no wait, that's my liver i'm thinking about  ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2003, 11:52 AM »
Man how bad is the East right now...4 teams over .500 compared to 11 in the west.  Hell the entire Midwest division would be near the top in the East.  Western Conference basketball has been FANtastic

The Wolves are doing alright, injuries are hurting them and hopefully they'll get everyone back after Christmas and they can make a push for homecourt in the Western Playoffs.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2003, 12:10 PM »
Yeah, the gap between the East and West is really terrible anymore.  Its really no contest.  I wish that things were a little more "even", it makes for a more interesting season and playoffs.  It looks like it will be a little while before they start evening out though.  And to think, really much of the Western Conference could be getting even better...many are still working through the kinks of new players/lineups (Dallas), and others are battling injuries or just starting to recover from them (Minnesota, San Antonio, Sacramento).  Things could be getting even rougher for the East in a month or two :).  I see the first all-star voting results are starting to come in now, no big surprises really so far...although I am a little surprised Lebron isn't one of the starters...yet.  Figured the fans would vote him in for sure.  Also a little surprised that Kobe's vote total continues to be so high....not that he isn't deserving or a great player, because he is....but if nothing else, he is still an admitted adulterer...I guess fans don't care about that.  Plus, I guess to be honest, how many of the NBA players aren't that way...at least from what we hear?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2003, 08:00 PM »
Well, looks like we have another big NBA trade on the books today...according to ESPN.com.  Ainge is at it again, with a trade with Cleveland for Ricky Davis.  Here's how it is breaking down:

Celtics Get:

Ricky Davis
Chris Mihm
Michael Stewart
draft pick (2nd round)

Cavs Get:

Eric Williams
Tony Battie
Kedrick Brown

This should significantly change both teams.  To me, it looks like Boston gets the better end of the deal....with Davis' scoring, and Mihm's strong play this year.  However, Ricky Davis does seem to be a bit selfish, and it will be curious to see how he meshes with Paul Pierce and Co.  I have been watching a few of the Cavs games on TV this year (curious about LeBron), and I'd be happy to see them improve their team at all.  I'm one of those who believes that LBJ is going to be a special player, and I wouldn't mind seeing them at least win a few more games this year.  Eric Williams is solid, and should help take a leadership roles.  Battie can be good, and Kedrick Brown is said to have potential.  We'll have to see how it all shakes out.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 08:01 PM by mosnab »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2003, 02:33 AM »
Well, looks like we have another big NBA trade on the books today...according to ESPN.com.  Ainge is at it again, with a trade with Cleveland for Ricky Davis.  

...To me, it looks like Boston gets the better end of the deal....with Davis' scoring, and Mihm's strong play this year.  However, Ricky Davis does seem to be a bit selfish, and it will be curious to see how he meshes with Paul Pierce and Co.  I have been watching a few of the Cavs games on TV this year (curious about LeBron), and I'd be happy to see them improve their team at all.

I've been expecting the Cavs to trade Ricky and his giant ego all year, to make room for LeBron to just do his thing.  LeBron's been holding back so far, cautious not to step on Ricky's toes.  But it's also hurting LeBron's development, and the Cavs overall I think.  I'm just surprised that it took the Cavs so long to dump this turd.  Ricky is, after all, the same player who intentionally missed a shot that he purposely took at the opponent's basket, just to get his own rebound to register his first triple double.  Talk about in idiot!  The Cavs fined his sorry ass for that pathetic display of selfishness...  Since Davis' departure just last week, LeBron's been blowing up!  Went for 38 tonight, as the Cavs ended their almost year long losing streak on the road.  Ricky sure ain't gonna like playing with Pierce either, that's for sure!

As for my Lakers, things seemed to be rolling along pretty well there again, with 10 wins in a row until they hit the skids again with back to back losses against the Mavs and Blazers.   ::)  They almost blew another one tonight against the Nuggest too!  They had a 19 point lead, but it took a heroic (and reviewed) buzzer beating shot by Kobe, who was in court all day in Colorado, to beat them.

Meanwhile, formerly woeful teams like the Grizzlies and Clippers have been playing some kickass ball of late.  Interesting things goin' on in the NBA these days.  Even Scott's T-Wolves look like they've finally figured things out up there in Minnesota.  Must've been that lazy lardass Candy Man that was holding them back, eh?

So how's everyone else's teams and players doing?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 5, 2004, 12:47 PM »
Looks like another big NBA trade could be going down soon.  According to ESPN, the Knicks could be sending Antonio McDyess, Charlie Ward, Howard Eisley, the rights to Milos Vujanic, two future first round picks, and cash to the Phoenix Suns for Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway.  Could be a pretty big shakeup for both teams if this goes through.  Phoenix has been talented, but struggling this year, and it will be interesting to see where they fit McDyess in with Stoudemire (who is injured I believe right now), Marion, etc.  Lots of big trades this year so far, keeps it interesting I guess.  Here's the link from ESPN:

Knicks/Suns Trade

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: January 5, 2004, 01:41 PM »
Wow, that would be an interesting trade Brian.  Zeek's really making some noise over in NY since coming on as the GM there a few weeks ago.  I'm sure Stephon would love to return home to NY, and McDyess might even enjoy getting a fresh start back in Phoenix where it all began for him.

As for my Lakers, things seemed to be rolling along pretty well there again, with 10 wins in a row until they hit the skids again with back to back losses against the Mavs and Blazers.   ::)

Well, the slide continues, and is getting uglier by the game!   >:(  We've now lost 6 of our last 9 games.  So much for our stellar season and making a run at the Bulls single season record for wins...   :-\  Sure, we've been hit bad by the injury bug, with Malone being out for the past couple weeks (and a couple more to come) and Shaq now being out for the past several games, but that's still no excuse for the pathetic way we're playing.  Hell, we've still got Kobe and Gary Payton, so we should still be winning a lot of these games, especially against some of the crappy teams we've been losing to.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: January 5, 2004, 01:56 PM »
T-Wolves are playing without 3 of their top 6 and are still doing pretty dang well, I'd say Kobe's Infidelity may be having a bad impact on the rest of the boys

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 5, 2004, 02:10 PM »
Just wanted to thank you Matt for not pointing out what the score was in one of those three games they won :-X :-[  I was waiting and waiting but nothing....
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.