Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85014 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Offseason
« Reply #495 on: July 6, 2004, 01:17 PM »
Kind of lost in the shuffle with all the big news lately, but Spree did exercise his option with the Wolves, keeping him here for next season.  Sounds like he wants to finish his career in Minny as well....LINKY

Just read over at ESPN that Kobe is having his "suitors" visit him at home...Nuggets yesterday, Clippers later this week most likely.  Also, the Jazz have made Mehmet Okur an offer rumored to be around 48M, time to see if the Pistons will counter (likely not if going after Sheed).  Also, in some minor signings, Foyle is re-upped with Golden State, as well as Camby with the Nuggs.

I have also read that Minnesota is possibly rumored to be involved in a deal for Ray Allen.  Who knows if it will happen, and if so, which players would be included...but I have always been a fan of Allen, be nice to see him a T-Wolf (I believe he was drafted there originally, before being traded to Milwaukee?).  I'd hate to see the team shook up too much, but he's a heck of a shooter and player.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #496 on: July 7, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Looks like the Wolves haven't quite thrown in the towel on Hudson yet either...

Minnesota has reportedly offered Troy Hudson an $18 million, five-year deal, with incentives that could make it worth $25 million.

But if you guys managed to score Ray Allen somehow, that would be HUGE!  I'm assuming it would be for Cassell and a couple others at the very least, thought that would still be a STUPID move on the Sonics part.  But a triple threat of Garnett, Spree, and Allen would be even more impressive than last year's combination with Cassell.  You guys should go all out for that, if you really have a shot at him...

I was watching Gary Payton on The Best Damned Sports Show a couple nights ago, and he's talking about doing his absolute best to try to keep the whole gang together (less Jackson of course).  He said he was almost positive that Malone will come back, and he's gonna go visit Shaq in Orlando this week to try to talk to him, and then is (shockingly) going to attend Kobe's court case at some point to show some love and support for him as well.

Sounds to me like GP knows he's locked into L.A. now, and without the rest of the guys, he's gonna be screwed if he still wants that elusive championship...  The drama continues.  This is far better than any soap opera, I tell ya'!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #497 on: July 7, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I don't think Cassell, Spree and Garnett are going anywhere.  It would probably involve Wally and perhaps a sign and trade with Hudson

Someone tell Gary there is no way in hell that Kobe is going to be back because Shaq isn't going anywhere

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #498 on: July 7, 2004, 04:43 PM »
Wow...here's the rumored deal

Seattle gets:
G-Paul Pierce

Boston gets:
G/F-Wally Szczerbiak
C-Michael Olowakandi

Minnesota gets:
G-Ray Allen

Do it...and do it soon

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #499 on: July 7, 2004, 05:38 PM »
Yikes!  That'd put you right up there with our previous HOF quartet!   ;)

Forgot about Wally World, but I was thinking Kandy might be good trade bait.  You guys have about enough of him out there yet?  I remember how excited you were when you nabbed his sorry ass from the Clippers...   :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #500 on: July 7, 2004, 06:12 PM »
Well, I really think he can be better than he was in the Playoffs.  He showed signs in the regular season of being a good fit.  I think missing half of the year and some poor conditioning got to him (as evidenced by his explosion against Shaq in Game 1 of the West Finals)  I'm not ready to throw in the towel, but that would be a huge upgrade:

Cassell
Allen
Sprewell
Garnett
Johnson

I like our chances...Hassell and hopefully Hudson off the bench.  Backup Center would be a problem

Interested to see how Ebi their #1 pick last year progresses this summer.  He might be a neat little piece of the puzzle this year too

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 8, 2004, 09:09 AM »
That was the trade I had heard rumored as well Scott, and to be honest, I really hope that is true.  Allen is a great player, and I think would compliment the Wolves well.  Lots of firepower with a lineup of Sammy C, Allen, Spree and KG.  Honestly, I can't see why Boston would do that trade, but then again it is Ainge.  If that offer is on the table...like you said...do it, and do it now! :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 8, 2004, 09:14 AM »
Oh...a few other NBA tidbits here....apparently Orlando has signed top pick Dwight Howard, and also agreed to terms with Hedo Turkoglu (Spurs can still match) on a 6 year, 39M deal (LINKY).  Also, word is that Vince wants out of Toronto, so another superstar on the trading block.  Also, the Jazz have re-signed Carlos Arroyo....and finally, Phoenix has apparently gotten Quentin Richardson to agree to an offer sheet (Clips can match) of around 50M.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 9, 2004, 09:15 AM »
Latest Shaq rumblings (according to Sportscenter this morning)...

Miami receives:

C Shaquille O'Neal

L.A. Lakers receive:

F Brian Grant
F Lamar Odom
1st Round Draft Pick

Don't know if this will happen or not, but Wade and Shaq together could be a formidable combo, especially in the East.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 10, 2004, 07:56 PM »
Well, according to this article at ESPN.com, it sounds like the deal sending Shaq to Miami might be almost done.  Shaq has reportedly Ok'd the deal, sending Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, and Brian Grant to Los Angeles.  Its too bad (for the Heat) that they couldn't keep a hold of someone else (like Butler), but they'll still have Wade and Shaq, as well as Eddie Jones.  Any thoughts on the trade?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #505 on: July 13, 2004, 12:47 PM »
Wolves and Hudson have agreed to a 6 Year Deal...now on to resigning Hassell and Hello Western Conference Favorites (although the Spurs and Rockets will be just as good)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #506 on: July 13, 2004, 01:44 PM »
Good news for you guys keeping Hudson around for a while.  He's a tough little fella!  So, no word up there on the Ray Allen deal now?  Did it fall apart, or just never really materialize?  Or maybe just still in the works...

So, the laughable news of the day (yesterday actually), is that Gary Payton has changed his mind, and now wants the hell out of L.A. as well.  My guess is that he just re-signed in hopes of talking both Shaq and Kobe into staying, but now that Shaq's ass is toast, I guess The Glove said forget it!

Not real thrilled with that Shaq trade, but it was a forced hand, so I guess it's the best we could get in return...  Grant's a good, solid power forward, but has become increasingly fragile in recent years.  Odom's always had potential, but is streaky, and tends to mope a bit when he doesn't have the ball in his hands (which won't happen if Kobe's still around).  Plus, he was still having lots of "problems" in his prior stint out here in L.A., which may resurface if he returns.  Don't know much about Caron Butler, but it sounds like he's a pretty good player.  Plus a first-rounder...

Still sucks to not even get a single All-star in return for one of the game's best players ever.  That's pretty weak.  We should've at least brought L.A. fan favorite Eddie Jones back into the fold with the deal.   >:(

It'll be most amusing if Kobe decides to sign with the Clippers (or someone else), after making the Lakers ditch Shaq and Phil in order to keep him happy.  Man, the $h!t will hit the fan if he bails on us too...  (and I know some of you clowns have a big ol' grin on your faces right now...   >:()

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 13, 2004, 01:58 PM »
(and I know some of you clowns have a big ol' grin on your faces right now...   >:()

Huh?  Wha?  Who you lookin' at?

;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #508 on: July 13, 2004, 02:05 PM »
I think its odd that Teams are willing to throw huge sums of dough at a guy that has a chance of playing hoops with convicts next year.  I wonder how much teams are investigating the case before contacting him

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 14, 2004, 03:48 PM »
Well, its official....pending physicals, Shaq is now a member of the Miami Heat