Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 84776 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NBA Offseason
« Reply #525 on: July 15, 2004, 03:52 PM »
[size=8]Phew![/size][/b]   8)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #526 on: July 15, 2004, 08:42 PM »
Sounds like Derek Fisher just bailed on us.   :'(

6 years for $40 million up in Golden State, of all places...   ::)

Dammit.

Looks like the Kenyon Martin to Denver deal is now final too.  Really surprised NJ didn't put up more of a fight for him.  That's the end of their impressive run in the East now, leaving only Detroit, Indiana, and now Miami as the only realistic contenders out there...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #527 on: July 15, 2004, 09:28 PM »
Lakers are still in the top 4-5 in the West, Kobe is still better than jack squat...no Shaq means they are no longer the favorites though

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #528 on: July 19, 2004, 01:50 PM »
I think the Spurs, Wolves, Kings, Pistons and Rockets should all be contenders.  Still a ways to go though...the Nuggets might actually be pretty dang good if they land Martin and Kobe could still somehow suprise everyone wher he ends up

You don't include the Mavericks in that list? We won 52 games last year. We lost Nash and Jamison, but picked up Devin Harris (who will be a stud replacement for Nash and will eventually be a better all around point guard) and Jerry Stackhouse. We also drafted a big Russian center who is like 7-2 and 300 lbs who can handle the ball. He's an instant upgrade for Shawn Bradley.

I think the West is the Spurs for the taking, but the Mavs will be there come playoff time. We'll advance out of the first round next year, too.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #529 on: July 19, 2004, 01:58 PM »
Nope, Mavs have gotten worse and not better...plus they had a chance to get Shaq and blew it.  Replacing Nash with a Rookie is not proven, he may be better later but their nucleus was there now and now its gonna have to reform

I gotta add the Nuggets though now, Carmelo, and Martin with Camby and Nene plus having Andre Miller and Earl Boykins, man they are gonna be good.

I'd agree that the Spurs might have a better team than the Wolves right now but that's without having Trenton Hassell for sure locked up.  If they can resign him I'd go like this for the West:

#1 Wolves
#2 Spurs
#3 Kings
#4 Nuggets
#5 Lakers
#6 Rockets
#7 Mavs
#8 Jazz

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #530 on: July 19, 2004, 02:00 PM »
I think I'd leave out Dallas because with the loss of Nash it will be tougher to compete this year with the Spurs, the vastly improved Rockets, and the up and coming Griz.  

Sure, you've got a new center rookie and a few other new guys, but they are still unproven as to how they'll fit in in the big D.

Plus, it's hard to be the elite in the league if you aren't even the best in your own 5-team division.

That's my line of thinking anyway.  Here's my top eight:

Detroit
Minnesota
San Antonio
Sacramento
Miami
Houston
Lakers
Indiana

I'd put Dallas somewhere in the 9/10/11 region, mixed in with Utah/Denver.  Utah will be better with Boozer and Denver will be better with K-Mart.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #531 on: July 19, 2004, 05:26 PM »
Well, please make no mistake, I agree the Spurs are the class of the West now, I just don't think the Mavs are done yet. Don't be surprised if Dampier doesn't wind up in Dallas before the season starts.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #532 on: July 19, 2004, 05:32 PM »
Well, if the Mavs do end up adding another piece like Erick Dampier, then I'll have to change my top eight!

Still a few months to go before the new season starts, and a lot of things could change happen to shake up my top eight between now and then ;)

Jeff

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #533 on: July 19, 2004, 07:49 PM »
Guess who's finally returning home...

8)

As for my list of top teams in the upcoming season, I'd say:

1.  San Antonio
2.  Minnesota
3.  Detroit
4.  Suckramento
5.  Lakers
6.  Indiana
7.  Dallas
8.  Houston
9.  Miami

Of course, realistically, the Lakers are still #1 though.   :-*

And I ain't buyin' into all this Nuggets are great crap.  I think they played way over their heads last year (like Memphis), and even though the addition of K-Mart should make them better, I still don't think they'll find themselves in a much better playoff position in the West, if any.  I think the Nets are gonna be hit hard by Kenyon's departure though.  With him, I'd still have them right near the top in the East, but without him, I think they'll be battling hard for that last home court spot in the first round of the playoffs.

I also think there could be a little adjustment period for both the Heat and Rockets, and despite their superstar acquisitions, I think they'll both come in around 47 - 50 wins, with the Heat having a slightly better chance then the Rockets, since they're in the East.

I was watching ESPN at lunch, and they said it looked like Dampier was gonna go to the Knicks, not that it matters much.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #534 on: July 19, 2004, 08:18 PM »
Mcgrady is awesome, but I still don't see the Rockets as improving so much in one year. Yao will be better, and the whole team will improve over last year, but I'm not sure they'll be any higher than 7 or 8.

They are a team to watch in the future, though. Last year was the first in which all 3 Texas teams made the playoffs, I believe.

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 19, 2004, 08:27 PM »
And I ain't buyin' into all this Nuggets are great crap.  I think they played way over their heads last year (like Memphis), and even though the addition of K-Mart should make them better, I still don't think they'll find themselves in a much better playoff position in the West, if any.  I think the Nets are gonna be hit hard by Kenyon's departure though.  With him, I'd still have them right near the top in the East, but without him, I think they'll be battling hard for that last home court spot in the first round of the playoffs.

The Nuggets need a couple of things to happen to move much higher in the west this year:

1) Marcus Camby has to stay healthy.  All this about a deep frontcourt will be for naught if he's not playing in long stretches during the season.

2) They have to learn to win on the road. Like most young teams, they play so much better in front of the home crowd.

The addition of Vlade should really help the Lakers out. He's got some of the best court vision in the game, regardless of the position.
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #536 on: July 19, 2004, 08:39 PM »
The Nuggets need a couple of things to happen to move much higher in the west this year...

I think another thing that doesn't thrill me about the Nugs is Andre Miller.  After watching his heartless play here in L.A. a couple years back, I'm rather wary of any team that he's at the healm of.  Of course, if he decides to revert back to his prior form with the Cavs, it would certainly help.  He's got the potential, just not real sure about the desire...

I'm also curious to see how well Kenyon and Carmelo "Nobody Loves Me" Anthony can co-exist...  Wasn't 'Melo at the 4 spot last year?  Or is he just a small forward?

Camby's always seemed kinda weak to me - both mentally and physically.  He's one of those players who can kick ass when he's motivated, but who doesn't seem to be motivated a lot of the time.  Lots of potential though, for sure.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #537 on: July 19, 2004, 10:05 PM »
I'm also a little skeptical of the Rockets more than the Nuggets.  They have no PG and no real options on the market to go after.  I think McGrady and Yao could be an awesome 1-2 punch though

I buy the Nuggets hype, they are a tough team and the Playoff series against the Wolves was all I needed to see that they could be very dangerous next year.  Especially now with Martin (I despise the nickname K-Mart)

Vlade is over the hill and washed up, no big loss for the Kings or gain for the Lakers

Now...did I hear there are rumors that blood was found on Kobe's Shirt?  Yeowch

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #538 on: July 20, 2004, 08:11 PM »
See the new SI cover yet?   ;)

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #539 on: July 22, 2004, 03:28 PM »
This ought to help the defending Champs hang at the top of the NBA next year...

'Sheed back to Pistons for 5 years, $57M

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 03:29 PM by Nataku »