Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 84779 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: NBA Offseason
« Reply #540 on: July 22, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Word in today's paper is that Hassell might be headed to Denver, making them that much better :-\

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #541 on: August 3, 2004, 07:30 PM »
Antoine Walker and Tony Delk to Atlanta in exchange for Jason Terry, Alan Henderson and a future first-round pick, here.

Guess that rules out the rumored move of Kidd heading back to Dallas...  Though I suppose Terry could play the 2 spot though (he's not much of a true point anyway).

P.S.  Just for Scott...   :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #542 on: August 4, 2004, 10:03 PM »
Wolves matched the offer for Hassell today, good move IMO

Rumors continue to point to them moving Wally too, latest was Wally and Earvin Johnson for Abdur-Rahim...another type of heartbeat kind of deals I'd do

Sounds like Kobe is off the hook almost, bastard

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #543 on: August 6, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Surprised nobody's mentioned this yet here, but apparently Peja Stojakavic wants out of Sacramento, due to his being pissed that they traded away his good buddy Vlade Divac, and because of C-Webb's comments a couple months ago after losing to the Wolves about certain players on their team lacking toughness...  Definitely an interesting development, involving possibly the best pure shooter in the game, and one of the best teams in the league.  If Peja gets his wish, and is transported elsewhere, regardless of who the Kings get in return, I think it'll definitely knock them down a few notches on the NBA ladder.  Tough to replace a shooter like that.  They're few and far between these days...

My suggestion to the Kings:  Reunite Peja with his good buddy Vlade.  PLEASE.  We'd love to have him, and would gladly give you Lamar Odom and Rick Fox in return, since we're WAY overloaded at the 3 spot.  And if Malone comes back to the Lakers, we'll toss in Brian Grant too.   :-*

Now make it happen Maloof boys!

(unfortunately, there's no way in hell would they deal Peja to one of the top rival teams in their own division, I'm sure...)
« Last Edit: August 6, 2004, 03:59 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 6, 2004, 04:00 PM »
Well, it looks like the Lakers' Shakeup continues....

Celtics Receive:

Gary Payton
Rick Fox
Future 1st Rounder
cash

Lakers Receive:

Chris Mihm
Marcus Banks
Chucky Atkins
future 2nd rounder

This one kind of came out of nowhere, at least to me, I hadn't heard any rumblings of this trade otherwise.

C- Vlade/Mihm
F- Grant/Odom/Slava/Malone?
F- Butler/George/Walton
G- Kobe/Rush
G- Banks/Atkins

Definitely a different team next season for ya Matty.  I wonder if this will affect the Mailman's decision, seeing GP shipped off as well?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 6, 2004, 05:01 PM »
Who made out worse here though?  Man, that is a weird trade.  Seems like the GM's of the former NBA elite are losing their minds.  Should Matt be teasing me on this one, or vice versa?  I can't make up my mind :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 6, 2004, 06:15 PM »
That's what I thought too Brent, just a weird trade.  Doesn't seem to make the most sense either way, but who knows.  Definitely out of left field though.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #547 on: August 6, 2004, 07:32 PM »
Couldn't even tell ya', Brent, since I barely know jack about those 3 clowns we're getting in return...   :P

I'm sure Payton will come back to life just a little, but Fox very well may wind up retiring before he gets there.  That's been the word on the street for the past couple months out here anyway...

It is rather odd that we decided we have no need for a decent point guard on our team, after ditching both of ours.  My guess, Kobe's basically gonna run the point, since he prefers to have the ball in his hands as much as possible anyway.   ;)

Indeed, it is a totally different team now.  All the mainstays from the Championships are now gone - Shaq, Fox, Fisher, Horry...  Deavon George is really the only one who's left now, aside from Kobe.  I highly doubt Malone's resigns with us at this point.  He wants the Championship, and we're not exactly top contenders for that anymore, in most people's eyes.  Gonna be pretty bizarre watching this group on the floor next year.  Really bizarre actually...

But my sleeper pick for Most Improved player next season is gonna be Luke Walton.  That guy's awesome.  So it's gonna be the Kobe and Luke show...   8)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #548 on: August 10, 2004, 09:47 AM »
Whew.

Wolves keep Hudson

T-Wolves now have 11 players under contract and are ready to roll.  In years past, I'd have been upset with a "Status Quo" off-season, but this year keeping the same group of guys seems to be the way to go, especially with pending implosions for the Kings and LAkers.

:)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 10, 2004, 10:20 AM »
I was glad to see that finally go through too, as well as the offer match with Hassell.  Maybe overpaid a bit for Hassell, but he is a good player (and I think a good guy), and is an important part of the team.  Glad to see both of them stay.  11 guys under contract is a good thing too, I agree Jeff...I'm usually upset with the "status quo", but this seems like a good team to keep together.  Glad to see Spree and Hoiberg stay on board as well.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 10, 2004, 06:57 PM »
I'd really like to know if the Lakers have any direction right now or are just making moves just to make them.  If they are doing all of this to clear up cap space, they better make some kick ass signings in the future.  I just hope they make the playoffs.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 18, 2004, 01:46 PM »
It sounds as if the nearly off-season long Erick Dampier saga is just about over.  Apparently he is on his way to Dallas, but the deal has to wait until mid-late September (20th I believe?) because other players involved have also recently been traded.  Here's the rumored deal:

Golden State Receives:

Christian Laettner
Edjuardo Najera
2 Future First Round Picks
Cash

Dallas Receives:

Erick Dampier
Evan Eschmeyer
Dan Dickau

Not sure Dampier is all he is cracked up to be, or worth all of the hype, but is definitely an upgrade at Center for Dallas.  He was good for about 12 and 12 last season, and if he could duplicate that I'm sure Dallas would be overjoyed.  Dickau should give them some insurance at the point guard spot as well, and didn't Eschmeyer play there once already :)?  Golden State looks to be looking to the future, with expiring contracts (Laettner), first round picks, and cash...as well as getting something for Dampier while they still can.

Also...saw this report last week regarding the Payton to Boston trade.  Sounds like he is none too pleased with the Lakers organization, and has apparently (rumored) demanded a trade to Minny, Clippers, or Rockets...or he won't show up to camp and will "quit".  The drama continues.....

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #552 on: August 18, 2004, 03:48 PM »
We'll take Dampier! :D

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 18, 2004, 04:05 PM »
Dampier certainly helps Dallas.  There were some rumors out here the Lakers were interested, but I never heard anything more than the sports talk radio rumors.  I'm not sure the Lakers are even going to try and get a center from somewhere. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 23, 2004, 02:39 PM »
This article at FoxSports.com says that Shaq reportedly wants the Heat to trade for Grizzlies point guard Jason Williams.  The trade could possibly involve Eddie Jones and either Damon Jones/Keyon Dooling in exchange for Williams and possibly James Posey.  Who knows if it will happen...but its NBA News I guess anyways :P