Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 84988 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The NBA Playoffs!
« Reply #345 on: May 28, 2004, 09:27 PM »
And how the Lakers really ARE the best team on the planet, especially when they feel like playing hard.   ;)

IF they feel like playing hard.  

Hey, it's pretty cool what money can buy you, the best team on the planet, so long as your petulant giant feels like playing, your amazingly talented 12 year old (mentally) is up for it.  And the geezers take their geritol.  

I do agree on one thing though, as good as Spree is, I hate him.  Oughta be in prison.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #346 on: May 28, 2004, 10:25 PM »
Actually, thanks to KG and Spree's contracts the Wolves have a much higher payroll than the Lakers.  Payton and Malone are basically playing for peanuts to try and win a ring

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 28, 2004, 11:05 PM »
Oops.  Oh well, at least those guys tend to show up on a regular basis.  I guess 5-10 million a year isn't enough for some people to set aside their egos.   :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #348 on: May 29, 2004, 01:00 AM »
Hey, it's pretty cool what money can buy you, the best team on the planet...

Now wait a second there old man...  The Lakers are a far cry from the Yankees.  This team is hardly anything close to "what money can buy you".  Like Scott already pointed out, Payton is playing for the mid-level exception (or something like that), which is about $3 mill.  FAR below what he'd make from any other team, and probably even below the league average.  Then take Malone, he's playing for like 1.5 million, which is practically the league minimum.  We didn't go out and "buy" those guys.  Both of those guys came to us and begged to play for us for practically free.

As for the other two big guys, Kobe we picked up right out of high school - in a trade with Charlotte for Vlade Divac of all people.  So we didn't "buy" him either.  Yeah, he blossomed and Jerry Buss (Laker's owner) threw the necessary money at him in order to keep him as a Laker when his initial contract expired.  Any owner does the same thing with his superstar player(s) if/when he can.

Shaq's the only player we went out and "bought" off the free agent market YEARS ago.  Again, we re-upped his contract when it originally expired, like anyone would.  In fact, with the exception of him, we've not really picked up anyone major on the free agent market (for retail value) since well before our Championship run over 5 years ago.  Even Fisher's "home grown".  Been with us since his rookie year.

Sorry, but comparing what Jerry Buss does with the Lakers, and what George Steinbrenner does with the Yankees, is totally unfair and incorrect.  Two VERY different things.  Buss just takes care of his own, and with the winning we've experienced, aging superstars are approaching us in an effort to ride Kobe and Shaq's coattails to their first ever ring.

I suppose with Phil Jackson, we kinda "bought" him, but he also very much wanted to come to us as well.  Not that he's even a very good coach, but that's an entirely seperate discussion.

Bummer to see the Pistons go down tonight.  2-2 there.  Nervous time for Detroit with home court back in the Pacers hands...   :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #349 on: May 29, 2004, 09:17 AM »
In some ways I agree with what shaq said, he is basically the GM.  I doubt  Kupchak was out there actively pursuing either Payton or Malone...has he made any trades?

It will be interesting to see where Kobe goes...I wouldn't mind seeing the Clippers get him.  Makes 2 LA teams I can hate with a passion

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #350 on: May 29, 2004, 11:31 PM »
So much for turning that switch on ::)

I stand by my statement, if Cassell was healthy the Wolves would have disposed of them already.  The Lakers are the biggest bunch of whiny premadonnas in history.  How dare anyone try and play with us...and if we get behind, we'll throw in the towel because we have that extra gear nobody else has

Great game by the Wolves...I just hope that same effort shows up on Monday (and Ref Danny Crawford doesn't)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #351 on: May 30, 2004, 01:04 AM »
Just got home from da bar where me and a few pals watched da Wolves beat da "Alleged Rapist, at best Adulterer" and the rest of his sorry squad of washed up losers.  :)

The LAkers better get to flipping that "switch" if they want to dispose of KG and his boyz.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 30, 2004, 01:05 AM »
Oops.  Oh well, at least those guys tend to show up on a regular basis.  I guess 5-10 million a year isn't enough for some people to set aside their egos.   :P

Just in case you missed this admission of my error, sweater boy.  Thanks for the lecture though.  Maybe it is a good thing you're not planning on being a parent.  You'd be very irritating. :-* ;D

I'd love to share your optimism Scott, but I just don't see the league Lakers letting it happen. :-\

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #353 on: May 30, 2004, 01:18 AM »
Maybe it is a good thing you're not planning on being a parent.  You'd be very irritating. :-* ;D

>:(

I think it took me so long to type it up, and revise, my "lecture", and since I probably wandered off several times while leaving my in progress reply up on the screen (as I often do), that I hadn't seen your reply yete.  Either way, if I had kids, they'd be smart enough to know what "spending money" actually looked like, so I wouldn't have to scold and lecture them!  They'd certainly know better than to root for a bunch of pansy-assed, leprachaun lovin' losers...   :-*

That said, uh...  I think we lost tonight, yeah?  I was drinking too much to really realize what was happening, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.  Ended our streak of 11 straight wins in "close-out" games.  Oh well...  We'll get 'em on Memorial Day back here in L.A.  Guess the boys ain't feeling too threatened or inspired yet, to turn it on.   ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 30, 2004, 01:29 AM »
Yeah, you must have walked away quite a few times.  You took very nearly 2 hours to type up that response.   :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #355 on: May 30, 2004, 09:47 AM »
Hopefully with Cassell sitting out, he'll be rested enough to contribute for at least a half tomorrow.  That might be all they need to get out to a big lead and start the Lakers thinking, well we'll flip that switch next game.  The "Alleged Rapist, at best Adulterer" looked pissed all night he wasnt' getting any of the calls either...wah ::)

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #356 on: May 30, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Lakers are gonna win at home. They always do.
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2004, 10:42 PM »
That was one of the weirdest 1st halves I have ever seen.  Refs seemed to have stripped O'Neal and Bryant of their "godlike do no wrong" status and actually called fouls on them.  Crowd was going nuts and the Wolves brought a 13 point lead down to 2.  I can't believe it still, I'm so used to it going the other way, why do it now on the Lakers home court?

PS Note to Phil Jackson, sit your stars when they have 3 fouls in the 1st Half...idiot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 1, 2004, 12:11 AM »
I was surprised by the reffing in the first half as well.  Quite a treat.  All for nought though.  Lakers took it, in a manner of speaking.  To this untrained eye, it looked more like the Wolves gave it to them by throwing the ball away.  Not cool.   :(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #359 on: June 1, 2004, 12:44 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawooooooooooooo

Did you see Cassell hit that last shot!  That's what the best PG in the game this year is all about.  On to the Finals where the Wolves will destroy the Pistons.  Have fun in Prison Kobe, don't drop the soap around Michael Jackson or Scott Peterson.  Shaq, work on those free throws all summer, going 10-30 from the line is what cost the Lakers the series

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawooooooooooooooo

(PS Go Pistons) :'(