Author Topic: NBA 2003/04  (Read 85003 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The NBA Playoffs!
« Reply #420 on: June 11, 2004, 09:05 AM »
Well, last night's game deserves a big "Randy Award":

This one goes to "Mr. At-Best Adulterer":

Hero of Game 2, Goat of Game 3.  ONE point in the first half?!?  My favorite part of the whole thing though was the pre-game interview in which this dorkwad was talking about how he'd like to leave the Lakers for the Knicks next year to play with Stephon saying that his heart isn't in it anymore with the LAkers.  

HUH?  Complaining about your current team just hours before a pivotal Game 3 in the Finals?  Way to have your head in the game jackass!

Jeff
"Asleep at the switch?  I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 11, 2004, 09:47 AM »
Man, quite a game by the Pistons last night.  The Lakers can blame it on whatever they want, but boy those guys can play some defense.  I'm not the biggest Pistons fan in the world, but I can really appreciate the way those guys just flat out work.  They play a great team game, and each and every one of them defends as best they can.  I really didn't think they had a prayer in these finals going in, but it might be at least possible after seeing their performances so far.  All due respect to the Lakers (and Kobe's amazing shot in Game 2), but this could very easily be a 3-0 series at this point, and maybe should have been.  I'm glad it has been competitive, and that the Pistons are putting up a much better showing than the "experts" predicted.  I hope it continues.

I didn't see Kobe's comments on playing with Steph and the Knicks.  I am really curious to see what will happen with this Lakers team once the finals is over and done with.  I really don't know if I see Payton coming back, he has played terrible and seems quite unhappy.  Malone is starting to have consistent injury troubles, and should maybe consider retirement (although I think deep down he wants that scoring record).  Not sure about Phil or Kobe, but there's a chance both could end up leaving (or at least one).  Shaq should be one piece that is in place next season for sure, although he wants a new deal.  Could be a Lakers lineup of Fisher, Rush, George, Medvedenko, and Shaq next year :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 11, 2004, 11:35 AM »
How huge was Kobe's shot in game 2?  Could it be any more important?  Wowzers.  

If the Lakers break up like Brian has suggested, I suppose next year will be much easier on us, having to listen to bulky blocky's new found humility.  Just so you know Matt, I've started going through the thread to pull your more pompous and arrogant moments out.  Should the Lakers lose this thing, I'll be most pleased to post them up seconds after the series is over ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #423 on: June 11, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Lakers played last night?  Damn, I must've missed it.

Actually, I had to listen to the first half in the car, as I spent 2 hours commuting home from the office.  Watched a little bit of the third quarter, and knew that we weren't really interested in flipping the switch tonight, so I just went and read a Harry Potter book for the rest of the game.  Haven't even checked the stats out yet...

I agree with what everyone's saying about the Pistons though (commentators, sports writers, talk show hosts, JD members, etc.), they play the most amazing defense ever, but it leads to some of the worst, most boring basketball in history to actually have to watch.  They put the clamp down on my boys last night, and definitely proved that Kobe's Game 2 shot wasn't going to wreak havok on their psychies, which is impressive.

Our two losses to them this series are by far the worst I've seen the Lakers play all year.  I'd say that's largely attributable to Detroit's tenacious defense, but it's partly attributable to us as well.  We just SUCK right now.  No idea WTF's going on with these stupid clowns, other than the fact that they're not terribly motivated (which I lay a lot of the blame on Phil for).

As for the Kobe/Knicks thing - I missed the pre-game interview, but find it very hard to believe that's exactly what he said Jeff.  Did Kobe actually say those things himself, and mean them, or did a commentator toss those comments out there and Kobe hypothetically commented on them?  If it's as bad as Jeff says, than that's pretty unf*cking believable.

I've heard the sports talk shows around here talking about the Kobe/Knicks thing the last couple days.  Apparently a NY Times reporter (or some NY paper) did a write up on a "what if" Kobe comes here, and made it sound like something was actually in the works.  Kobe addressed it later to the media and said there's been NOTHING going on with the Knicks to date, and there's no meetings set up with them in the future, but if Isaiah wanted to talk to him, he'd sit down with him and listen, even though he had no plans on going there.

The Knicks have no cap-room to sign Kobe though, so they'd have to work up some big sign and trade deal, which would HAVE to involve Marbury.  I just don't think Kobe would fit over there, 'cause they SUCK, and Marbury would never be able to share the ball with Kobe enough.  That would be a horrific duo to try making co-exist.  Kobe very well may bail on us, but I just don't think it'll be to the Knicks.  But I'm sure the NBA would love for that to happen, since NY is obviously a huge market, and in desperate need of revitalizing.  I do think Kobe's VERY excited about the prospect of ridding himself of Shaq though, and proving himself without MDE by his side.  So I'm starting to mentally prepare myself for his potential departure, unfortunately.  Guess we'll find out later on this summer...   :-\

Still not worried about this series yet.  Once Detroit's got 3 wins, and a healthy fourth quarter lead in #4, then I'll start worrying.  They're playing out of their minds right now, and we look like absolute horse$h!t, but I've been all too well trained by this team to rely on that ol' "switch", so I ain't sweatin' just yet...   ;)

Just so you know Matt, I've started going through the thread to pull your more pompous and arrogant moments out.  Should the Lakers lose this thing, I'll be most pleased to post them up seconds after the series is over ;D

Funny, but I've been doing the same thing, in preparation for my Championship gloating.  PMs too, so be ready!   :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #424 on: June 11, 2004, 04:25 PM »
The interview I heard wasn't a pre-game interview by ABC, but did take place the day of the game in the afternoon on ESPN or Fox sports radio (not sure which).

Granted, the radio guy (Rome?) made it seem much worse than what it was, but he did specifically mention Steph and the Knicks...  this was after he tried to tone down the uproar from a day or two earlier.

Jeff

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #425 on: June 11, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Granted, the radio guy (Rome?) made it seem much worse than what it was, but he did specifically mention Steph and the Knicks...  this was after he tried to tone down the uproar from a day or two earlier.

Ah... Jim Rome!  OK.  Makes a little more sense now.  I listen to him most mornings.  He actually works right downstairs from me, and I see him from time to time at lunch.  Went to UC Santa Barbara too!   8)

I think it's mostly just a media thing goin' on here.  I don't think Kobe actually said the exact things that the media's making it out to sound like.  I thought the same thing when I first heard the story break a few days ago.

I'm sure Kobe will talk to the Knicks at some point, but I doubt that's going to be the right fit for him if he still has any interest in winning...  Gonna be a crazy summer following all his drama!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #426 on: June 13, 2004, 11:35 PM »
No Team has ever won the NBA Championship when being down 3-1

« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 12:02 AM by I Love Kobe Bryant! »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #427 on: June 14, 2004, 12:00 AM »
Well, with the exception of Phil Jackson, I hate the Lakers, so I'm glad to see them getting their asses handed to them like this.  But at the same time, I always like to see these best-of-seven series be really competitive and go seven games (and this goes for both basketball and baseball), so I'm a little disappointed to see that it might only go five.

I'm also a bit torn, too, because I have some really good seats to see the Lakers in a pre-season game here in OKC in October, and it'd be nice to see the "World Champions" in person.  But then again--what's gonna happen after this season?  Will Payton and Malone leave if (and that's a big if, at this point) they pull it out, and get their rings?  If they lose, are they gonna stick around for another shot, or are they gone either way?

I still won't know who to root for at that game--I hate the Lakers, but they're playing the Wizards, and I hate them too, for the bullsh!t way they treated Jordan after he retired last year.  

Thank God I got to see him in person, though.  The only regular-season NBA game I've ever been to.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #428 on: June 14, 2004, 12:05 AM »
The best part of all of this is...I'll be rid of this God-Awful user name on Tuesday!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 14, 2004, 12:26 AM »
The best part of all of this is...I'll be rid of this God-Awful user name on Tuesday!!

I don't think you will.  I think it will take until Thursday.  Hopefully sooner, but that switch might have one more connection in it, if only to prevent humiliation at home.

Have I asked how important that 3 pointer was in game 2?

:D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #430 on: June 14, 2004, 01:14 AM »
Good Lord.  What to say...?   :-\  My boys looked like absolute $h!t.  AGAIN.  The only thing working for us right now is Shaq's offense (definitely not his defense though, mind you).  Kobe can't hit the broad side of a barn right now, and is not driving to the hoop at all, like he has in every game for the past 7 or 8 years.  Definitely not himself right now.  The role players absolutely rot.  Beyond Shaq and Kobe, nobody on our team can make a basket.  It's really pathetic.  They're not playing with any heart, passion, desire, urgency, emotion, etc., etc., etc..........

I've got to say, and this is not a comment on the outcome of the game(s) at all, that it absolutely disgusts me to see the Lakers players and coaches being consistently "T'd" up with technical fouls if they so much as even look at any of the refs funny, yet all of the Pistons - especially Rasheed Wallace - can go absolutely ballistic all over the floor, several consecutive plays in a row, and not have a single word to them said by the refs.  That bull$h!t makes me totally nauseaus.  If the tech's called on us throughout the series were levied consistently against any of the Piston's players as well, Rasheed would've been ejected every single game, and four times over tonight alone.  Disgusting disparity going on in that aspect, and somewhat with the fouls in general, but I'm not going to fuss about those too much, since we suck so bad anyway.

True, Detroit's still playing great, on both ends.  But this goes far beyond the good D they're playing on us.  We just SUCK right now.  Phil Jackson is definitely not doing anything to help the situation either.  No mid game adjustments, no motivational speeches, no nuthin'...  I loved how he let Rasheed tear apart Slava and Luke time and time again, without even the slightest hint of altering our defensive scheme on him.  NOTHING.  Just stands there, and figures that if the players on the floor can't work it out on their own - oh well.   ::)

I'll say it again.  This team is one of the most underachieving sports teams of ALL-TIME, in ANY sport.  You have the two best players in all of basketball on the same team, and they look like the L.A. Clippers.  They should be totally embarrassed.  What's even funnier, though not surprising, is that they still don't care, and still aren't worried.  All the post game interviews with Phil, Shaq, and Kobe were all blah, blah, blah...  "We came up here to win one, and we're still planning on doing that."  One?  OK.  Good thinking.  Why win two or three, when you could just win one, and make it exciting for the fans by forcing a Game 7.  Dumbasses.

But like I said after the last game, I'm not super worried just yet.  If we're getting b-slapped in the 4th quarter of Tuesday's game, THEN I'll be worried.  Until then, I'll be just like the rest of the Lakers, and act like this is no big deal whatsoever.  We always play better when our backs are against the wall, and we've got something to prove.  Well, I think they've got themselves in that position now (intentionally?)...  Like Scott said, no team's ever come back from a 3-1 deficit in the Finals.  I'm sure the Lakers just thought it would be more fun to tackle that particular challenge, instead of just doing what they should, and not screwing around with the whole series.  Yeah, that's it...   ::)

See you all Tuesday night!  When I'm not going to be worried again...   :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #431 on: June 14, 2004, 10:53 AM »
Actually Game 5 is in Detroit still which is why it will be over.  Detroit has been nothing short of dominant all 4 games and if were not for some bonehead coaching in Game 2 in the last minute they would be sizing their fingers today for rings.  

Its funny how a meaningless injury to a washed up Power Forward can do so much to a team...huh, kind of like an injury to an ALL-STAR Point Guard :'(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 14, 2004, 10:59 AM »
I've got to say, and this is not a comment on the outcome of the game(s) at all, that it absolutely disgusts me to see the Lakers players and coaches being consistently "T'd" up with technical fouls if they so much as even look at any of the refs funny, yet all of the Pistons - especially Rasheed Wallace - can go absolutely ballistic all over the floor, several consecutive plays in a row, and not have a single word to them said by the refs.  That bull$h!t makes me totally nauseaus.  If the tech's called on us throughout the series were levied consistently against any of the Piston's players as well, Rasheed would've been ejected every single game, and four times over tonight alone.  Disgusting disparity going on in that aspect, and somewhat with the fouls in general, but I'm not going to fuss about those too much, since we suck so bad anyway.

Matt,
while I agree with you on the disparity of the calls and that Wallace deserved one as well, a lot of times it's what is said and how it's said.  Add to that maybe you folks out West could get Mr. tied-for-9-championships coach to not slam the reffing in the press and it might work out better.  Sorry, but refs are people too.  If you shat upon them in the press, they just might read it.  They also might not be that impressed.  I also think the 'look at you funny' point is not at all fair.  Kobe damn well said something yesterday in the fourth quarter.  No idea what it was, but I can tell you this difference between Wallace's yapping only a few minutes before and Kobe's statement.  Wallace was on the other side of the key nattering away, Kobe was leaning over the ref saying what he was saying.  10-12 feet versus a little physical intimidation whether intentional or not can make a big difference in a response from a ref.  

Couple that with the stunning and blatant arrogance of the Lakers (hey, this is our championship, gimme, gimme, gimme) and just maybe they aren't the glamour boys they like to think they are.  You do have to show up and play the game, not just put on a yellow jersey.  I don't think the refs are all that impressed with the attitude either and are not prepared to just hand them the series.  

Bluntly, this thing should be over, right now.  Pull out the brooms.  It was a good great shot that kept the Lakers in it.  It was also a little blind luck that got them there.  After all, what are the odds Shaq would make a clutch free throw.  He sure as hell had enough chances last night to make a few more, including multiple retries after lane violations.  Check his stats.  See how many free throws he missed.  See if it makes a difference in the outcome of the game.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #433 on: June 14, 2004, 06:00 PM »
On a side note....it is really great that we can discuss players, teams, and b-ball in general here without it becoming an all out war.
Good article, points out a bunch of good stuff, specifcally that a healthy Wolves Team and the Pistons could be the Lakers

Well, if Ralph Wiley says it, then it must be true...   ::)

if either the Minnesota Timberwolves or the Detroit Pistons were at their full-strength rosters, and sound of mind as well as body, each of them, it can be argued, could win the NBA title;

Well...Ralph Wiley just kicked the bucket...your thoughts were dead on Ralph, thanks for them, I'll always treasure the moments we shared agreeing that the Lakers are the most overrated team in Sports history

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #434 on: June 15, 2004, 05:34 PM »

Maybe Dr. Phil should flip the switch when he gets there...

Jeff