Author Topic: Goin' Shoppin' - need your help  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Goin' Shoppin' - need your help
« on: October 16, 2003, 03:48 PM »
Alrighty then, I'm a week away (well, 9 days) from going and buying up all the toys in the greater Cincinatti area ;D  These are the stores I can think of checking and have done the store locator schtick for:

Walmart
Target
KB
Kmart
EB
Meijer (curse you McFarlane and your red paint)
Gamestop
TRU

Aside from a disturbing lack (in abundance, not complete) of Target stores, what am I missing.  I'm hunting primarily for Star Wars and McFarlane Sports Picks.  Help me out please.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Goin' Shoppin' - need your help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 06:50 PM »
I think you've covered them all.  If you see a Shopko, don't bother.
Good luck on the RW pack....not much news coming from below the bridge with luck on finding it. :-\
Beth

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 07:04 PM »
Going to look for the red Detroit Red Wings set, huh Morg?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 12:12 AM »
Yeah, hoping for some basic luck with Star Wars toys, but being somewhere that actually has a Meijers is kinda helpful ;)  I'm hoping I find a box that's beaten to crap that nobody else wanted.  I'll take Cujo, his  ice and net outta there and send the rest to Beth.  

Also hoping for some stoopid luck timing wise for NFL7 :o

I'm really hoping I find so many toys I need I have to get a big old box and ship them back to myself ::)

BTW, do you need one if I actually find them?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 12:12 AM by Morgbug »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 10:17 AM »
DEFINITELY!  We don't have Meijers here in NY, and the red Red Wings 3-pack was exclusive to Meijers.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 01:41 PM »
Okee-dokee.  Are you a MIMB collector for these things?  I know probably so for the regular figs, but same for a 3 pack?  And what condition will you take.  I presume if they last long enough, they end up looking like the 3 packs up here - pretty dog eared and scuffed.  

I'm hoping that since I am sort of away from the Detroit area, I may have some luck.  Not to sure if Kentucky/southern Ohio are big on hockey ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 01:42 PM by Morgbug »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 03:31 PM »
Any kind of condition is cool, although I don't know if they're still anywhere to be found.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 10:39 PM »
No, it's a longshot at the very least.  The last time anyone on McFarlane posted finding them was last week.  But again I wonder about Kentucky and hockey (pardon my probable ignorance).  That and our willingness to take less than mint might help.  Heck, some of our regular RW sets up here are beaten beyond belief, twisted with torn windows.  I'd buy the red version like that in a second.

Looking for two now...

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 01:53 AM »
Best of luck to you.  I never even saw a red Red Wings 3 pack despite checking 5 different Meijer
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 11:44 PM »
Yeah, I know.  But you never know.  Kind of a lull for the US right now, between NFL6&7, post baseball series, pre-NHL.  Might happen.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 06:55 PM »
Well???  How did the shopping trip go?  What did you score??
Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 10:56 AM »
Well (prepare - long read), Cincinnati is an interesting place to be sure.  And downtown's suck no matter where you are, or at least that's been my experience.  

First day I arrived I wandered out of the hotel after checking a map, an address and a direction.  Piece of cake right?  Walk down 8th until it turns into Glenway, then up to around the 5500 block of Glenway.  Ya, shoor.  Some two hours of walking later :P I finally stumble into a Target.  Cool.  I love Target.  

Proceed to cereal section:  No Frankenberry :'(

Proceed to toy section.  Hmm, Star Wars ;D  But....  I now completely understand what the talk was all about with peg warming clone wars figs (Anakin, Yoda and ARC).  Lots and lots of those guys on the pegs.  All four screen scenes were there, but Scott is already sending those to me, so no need.  Droid rollers everywhere >:( with not a clone 3 pack or Jedi 3 pack to be found :'(  

Found the spiderman series Daredevil, but it had the single worst paint job I have ever seen!  The paint on the face was awful, the mask dotting and dragging onto the skin.  Pass.  Also found a Kraven, but like the Morbius figure that I have passed on several times, it didn't do much for me.  Pity that.  

Wander out of Target depressed and over to nearby Walmart.  Blech, what a horrible store and it's apparently only been open for a couple of months.  Looked like the dragged all the crap from the surrounding area stores to it that wouldn't sell.  Walk out and start walking back  "home".  Rain starts, me wet.  Get on bus.  Wet.  Get off bus.  Still wet.  Go watch White Oleander on HBO.  Go to bed depressed.  

Next shopping trip is down to Florence, KY.  Lots of promise there - TRU, Kmart, KB, Target, Walmart, Meijer.  And by the way, toy hunting without a car?  PITA.  One hour bus ride to get to Florence from downtown Cincy.  Get off the bus, totally optimistic, check my wallet - crap!  Left my credit card in the hotel room.  I've got $60 cash and that is it.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.  

Anyway,
TRU - squat.  Had the Homer thing in the chair that I wanted but passed, thinking hey, it'll be at the next TRU I visit. :-\  No THOH4, no new figs, only series 12.  Droid rollers out the ying-yang and lots of 12" but nothing cool or new.  Only stuff like Zuckuss, IO, etc.  

KB - whoo-hoo!  Finally some success, but moderate at best.  I find two bonus packs, both with ARC and regular clone, snag both.  Hey, for a buck more than the single carded ARC, why not, right?  Check the spidey pegs to see what's there - Green Goblin!  Very cool.  $21 and change later I leave KB.  Check the rest of the mall, see lots of cool things at the movie place that sells toys, can't remember name, but not enough money to worry about.  

K-mart, Walmart and Target are all blow outs - lots of regular Clone figs and droid rollers - nada else.  The Luke and Vader light sabers were at Wally for $19.99 but too hard to bring back.  They look cool, but identical to the old versions that I already have.  

Meijer stores are huge.  Now, I've never been in a super Walmart, but these things kick the crap out of a regular Walmart.  Wow.  Same here for SW - crap.  But I did find a blue Leafs three pack.  Very cool.  So I hid it, owing to the CC situation.  

Next day shopping was similar.  Crap, crap, crap.  Only place that was positive was Meijer.  Red Red Wings 3 pack :o  Scooooooooooooooooore!

All totaled, this is what I brought home:
Red Red Wings 3 pack (one to nicklab)
Blue TML 3 pack (one to nicklab)
Green Goblin (to OCB?)
two value packs w/ARC

Basically a big bust, save for the variant 3 packs.  Dissappointing but still fun.  Probably spent $50 on cabs and bus fare.  Missed my Homer thing.  Good meeting too.  Got to stare into the window of earthtoymall (closed when I was near).  

Can't argue with getting McFarlane variant stuff without shipping though. ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 11:09 AM »
I was going to drive over to the earthtoymall when I was there a few months ago but their hours were like 8-5..how many comic book geek types are able to go during non-business hours...oh wait

I actually found a Green Goblin yesterday but I would take another if you want to get rid of it, if you want to keep it go ahead

Sounds like fun, toy hunting while on the road keeps me halfway sane but also makes me depressed to see how horrible a lot of non-Minnesota Targets are

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 04:39 PM »
Proceed to cereal section:  No Frankenberry :'(

Next day shopping was similar.  Crap, crap, crap.  Only place that was positive was Meijer.  Red Red Wings 3 pack :o  Scooooooooooooooooore!

Bummer about the Frankenberry but you scored your CUJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 05:09 PM »
Damn B, that's a sad story bud!  Especially the cereal...   :'(

Oh well, don't say I didn't warn you on those CW pegwarmers!!!  Same thing out here.  But at least we've got plenty of Frankenberry here though.  Want me to send you some?   :-*

I've gotta ask though - what kind of experienced toy collector leaves home (hotel) without his credit card, and very little moolah?!  For shame!  You should know better.  Must be the senility setting in...   :-X

Better luck next time!  You know where to find me though if you need anything else...   ;)

- M