Author Topic: TIE Fighters....  (Read 7273 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
TIE Fighters....
« on: October 16, 2003, 04:08 PM »
What's your favorite and why?  All EU choices (Including TIE uglies) are welcomed by the way.

I'm a TIE Defender kinda guy myself...  Power engines, shields, and a nice weapons array...  The optional beam weapons are a dandy addition as well, and help boost the vessel's speed.  

Rarity kind of makes it a unique one to me also.  Being that it never saw full production and only the handful in Thrawn/Zaarin's fleets ever saw combat, it makes it really a fun/unique vessel that the Alliance never did match.  

The great thing about that ship (And TIE Fighter the game in general) is that it wasn't free from harm.  The Defender, though superior, was easily shot down when a group of good A-Wingers or X-Wingers would gang up on it.  

So what's the one you dig the most and why?

Oh, and if I had to go wth a film TIE, I'd go with the Interceptor...  Just vicious looking.  I loved those when I was a kid. :)  Cobra flew mine of course though.  Their secret weapon against G.I. Joe I guess.

EDIT:

Here's a link for some fun too...  To help you with information on TIE Fighters with pictures...

The first is the Star Wars Tech Commentaries review of TIE Fighters (Hosted by theforce.net).  http://www.theforce.net/swtc/tie.html

It's pretty decent and thorough but not everything at Tech Commentaries I agree with.  Some of it's too picky I think, and often times applies too much "Earth theory to Star Wars fact" as I like to put it.  It makes things less imaginative so I don't always agree.  It's good to read through though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 04:13 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: TIE Fighters....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 05:00 PM »
TIEs are equipped with automatic ejection seats, which have been seen in action in the asteroid field in The Empire Strikes Back and in many old and new comics.

Huh? Has anyone seen this? I don't remember an ejection seat...
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 09:42 PM »
Hey Lando,

It's a tough one to catch, but watch the one TIE that nails an asteroid while chasing the Falcon.  It's a teeny tiny easteregg type thing, but a TIE Pilot is ejected (And on fire to boot) into space above the cockpit (Meaning he was propelled upward).

The EU's taken it a step further and pilots eject in the flight sim games pretty regularly...  I'd put it at about a 50% ratio actually...

After a hectic battle there's often multiple pilots floating in the dead of space, and the truly sadistic (Myself included) can buzz around and pick off survivors for target practice (A common thing in WW2 actually where pilots would exact revenge on ejected pilots parachuting to safety by strafing them).

It's tough to see in ESB, but it's there, trust me, and one of my more favore moments. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 11:23 AM »
I'll definitely have to check that out....tonight!

On the topic of TIE's, the one EU design I take exception to above all others is the TIE crawler. Stupid, stupid idea. Why would anyone think to make the TIE into a tank? From all available evidence that I've seen, the TIE is a pretty flimsy design, and not suitable for an armored land vehicle.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 03:29 PM »
I agree Lando, it's pretty bogus...  A weak design at best.  I'm not sure what EU source came up with it originally actually.  The treads are fairly sturdy though...  As a land vehicle it was "possible", but as a tank/armor piece it looked fragile at best (And a terrible firing arc considering the weapns under the pod wouldn't be able to aim anywhere but where the tank itself was facing).

I saw a neat/accurate custom of one once that was to-scale and did the design some justice.  It's still a bogus EU vehicle that I sorta just disregard. :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 04:48 PM »
My favorite TIE is the Interceptor, but I'm also a sucker for the Bomber.  :-*

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 05:09 PM »
The Bomber translated into such a wonderful toy that I would agree you can't deny it's an impressive ship, especially since you can hold a to-scale one and just admire it.

The Interceptor was nice too, though the cockpit ball didn't look as nice...  Otherwise I think I'd have held it higher than the Bomber if for nothing more than it's more menacing look with the pronged Solar Panels.

Their "real world" translations ranked lower than some of the EU ships to me though because of the ease of which both can be shot down.  One good quad burst from an X-Wing can take either out, though the Bomber holds out a little bit more.

Flying bombers though is like flying space bricks.  Slow, not maneuverable hardly at all, and your mission designation is always NOT to defend yourself but rather to unload ordinance on a target who's likely to have brought all its guns to bare on you...  Just not a fun ship to be in.   ;D

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2003, 09:16 PM »
Well I'll go for a "Squint"....Tie Interceptors are just the Sports Car of Film Ties....

They are fast, have 4 guns and their speed does not compromise maneuverability too much.

I like the bomber, but if it is going to be that slow and large, it needs to have shields or hyperspace....but then I guess it would be a Y-wing....

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 03:27 AM »
I love the TIE ships but especially the TIE Defender. Here is a link to a thread about Defender (I would have attached the pic but don't know how)

http://www.jedi.ro/forum/viewthread.php?tid=197

Name/Model: TIE Defender
Designer/Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems
Length: 11 Meters
Crew: 1
Speed Rating: 180MGLT
Weapons:
3 Medium Lasers
2 Medium Ion Cannons
2 SFS M-G-2 General Purpose Warhead Launchers

Description: The TIE Defender was a prototype Imperial fighter that was developed shortly after the Battle of Endor. After initial testing, which was believed to be personally supervised by top Imperial Navy commanders, the TIE Defender was deployed to a small number of elite TIE wings. Since that time the TIE Defender has made itself the preferred substitute to the aging TIE Interceptor.

This vessel represented a radical departure from conventional TIE designs and featured three sets of solar collection panels mounted at equilateral points around the fighter's cockpit. On each solar array a medium laser cannon has been mounted, while dual ion cannons have been fixed underneath the cockpit. Following specific Navy directives, Sienar Fleet Systems developed a ship that was fast, heavily armed, and equipped with a hyperdrive. Also departing from the convential TIE design, the fighter is now equipped with a pair of Novaldex shield generators. At over 300,000 credits per unit, it is more than five times the cost of the TIE/ln.

While the TIE Defender is one of the most sophisticated fighters ever developed, its cost, combined with the upheaval that followed the death of the Emperor, has prevented the fighter from coming into widespread use. Despite these limitations, the Empire has found a way to substitute the TIE Defender for the much older TIE Interceptor.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 03:21 AM »
Hey JKNO,

I'll include the 2 most common designs (the ship was developed in the TIE Fighter PC sim, and used one design shown but was later changed to the other design, and sadly I forget which came first now even) known to the community here.

&

A quick note on your reference of the ship...  

The ship, if I'm recalling correctly, was developed BEFORE the Battle of Endor, as it was first introduced in TIE FIghter which chronologically takes place before Endor.  In the game it actually sports quad-lasers, dual Ion cannons, and the dual warhead launchers as well.  Pretty heafty payloads if I'm not mistaken also, and shields/armor that rivals most any fighter if not surpass any in service.  Nice stuff.

In TIE Fighter, the ship was never much more than prototyped...  It made it to production only in limited numbers prior to Endor, and in factories that were remotely located beyond the galaxy's outer rim territories.  The TIE Defender was part of a technology development program by Grand Admiral Zaarin that also included the development of cloaking technology for medium sized vessels (which literally blew up in Zaarin's face).  Zaarin attempted a coup de tat, but failed as then Vice Admiral Thrawn moved his fleet in to supress the renegade fleet and secure the technology developments.

Zaarin also developed the TIE "Avenger" Advanced fighter which was the new up and coming fighter at the time, and an advancement on the TIE Advanced x1 design used by Vader.  

EU clashes at this point, as much of it claims TIE Interceptors weren't in service till AFTER the ANH events, but X-Wing and TIE Fighter deviated and claimed Interceptors to be predecessors to the TIE advanced, and in use long before the Battle of Yavin.  That's why there is some discrepency there in what EU claims what.

TIE Fighter says the Advanced x1 (Vader's TIE) then instead lead to a decently shielded, fast, and hyperdrive capable TIE "Avanger" Advanced that was a hybrid of the best attributes of Vader's TIE and the Interceptor.  Zaarin's engineers developed the Defender then, as a means of Imperial fighter squads regaining space superiority as the "Avenger" was definitely a good fighter but still matched by better skilled pilots in the Alliance using X and A-Wings.  

The Defender, and the ship that never saw full production, the Missle Boat, were to be the fighters that would win the war by turning Alliance tactics against themselves while utilizing the superior financial ability of the Empire to produce a vastly superior fighter in decent #'s, and in a short period of time.  

Coincidentally, the X-Wing series also says the A-Wing was a pre-Yavin ship as well as the Interceptor, and now even some EU claims the TIE Bomber was created after Yavin though most EU doesn't lean that way.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 4, 2004, 03:54 AM »
Defenders just showed up in my book tonight....Pretty interesting...But I like the Traditional TIE Fighter....It just symbolizes everything Imperial. :)

Nice thread.

Offline genraljake

• Banned
  • Youngling
  • im a big star wars collector with no friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 5, 2004, 11:31 AM »
i got loads of comics and tie figyters cant eject because the piolet just be floating in space

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 6, 2004, 04:42 PM »
i got loads of comics and tie figyters cant eject because the piolet just be floating in space

I probably shouldnt say this but... What does that mean??? You're incredibly confusing.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 7, 2004, 01:31 AM »
He's Wrong anyway....

He obviously hasn't clesely read any X-Wing series boos, or the Empire comic series..

TIE pilots can eject...They have limited oxygen, but that's why they wear Helmets and also why the Imps keep some Lambda Class Shuttles up in the Battle...To pick up Ejected Pilots.

Read, friend.

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 7, 2004, 03:25 AM »
Yeah thats what i thought, because i thought I read somewhere they could.  Then he comes along and confuses me.