Author Topic: EP 7,8 and 9 still a possibility?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
EP 7,8 and 9 still a possibility?
« on: October 21, 2003, 01:58 PM »
As many of you have reported, Dark Horizons posted the following:

"One of my pals at ILM told me a few days back that another trilogy 'might' happen. This is the sequel trilogy that Lucas said he'd never do. It's very very early days yet, but apparently there is some talk, even to the point of Mr Spielberg - who was interested in doing 'Clones' at one point - stepping in for Lucas, who may want to write, but probably won't want to direct. If Lucas doesn't they'll probably work out a deal for say Frank Darabont to pen (ala the current "Indiana Jones IV" arrangement). This one would be the three films following Return of the Jedi, Han Solo, Skywalker, post-Darth etc. How hard of a time are they going to have on their hands getting some of those original players! ha ha! finally a fitting use for CGI hey? The deal is everyone wants the sequels, except Lucas, who is apparently exhausted [Personally I'd say studio pressure]. If Spielberg directs, it could be ok. Better than those terrible prequel movies".
Our thoughts? Well, there have been rumors about a sequel trilogy for as long as there's been Star Wars. However, we have yet to hear any rumblings on this. Lucas has also publicly stated that he's done with Star Wars after Episode III. He wants to move on to other projects. Plus, there's no way they're going to be able to get Harrison Ford to play Han Solo again without generous sums of cash and giving him free reign over his character.

However....

If Dark Horizons says their source is reliable, we're inclined to believe them. Plus it seems crazy to let a multi-million dollar franchise fizzle and die after Episode III. The story still has life in it and can still generate money. Plus there are probably a long line of excellent writers and directors who would love to play in a galaxy far, far away that Lucas wouldn't have to get that involved with. After all, he's allowing the Clone Wars cartoons to play in the universe without him and he seems to be pleased with the results. The same goes with the Star Wars fan films.

Anyway, don't put too much stock in this rumor yet, but don't flush it away either. After all, Lucas has been known to change his mind...from time to time. (Did Greedo shoot first?!?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: EP 7,8 and 9 still a possibility?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 08:26 PM »
It's interesting to hear (again), but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to happen.  I haven't cared much for the prequels personally, so if a "final trilogy" was made I'd pray it would be more like the originals.  That won't happen with George at the helm though.  But if Spielberg could take over the reigns, do the dialogue, keep the CG more low key, and push George on a more compelling story, then I'd say they'd have a good chance.

I almost fear the thought though, and what that would mean for my collecting for another 15 years.   :-\

But I think that if Spielberg helmed the project, there'd be a decent chance at bringing back the big 3 if they were still needed - Han, Luke, Leia.  Probably not in the starring roles, but as mentors and leaders to the new blood of the Rebellion.  Still a long way off though, I'd imagine.  But you just know that George will want to revisit his SW universe after delivering more future flops akin to Howard the Duck, Willow, Radioland Murders, etc.   :-X

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 11:52 AM »
If they do this I'd rather see someone other than Lucas direct it.  I don't mind Lucas coming up with a story but just get another guy to direct this time.  See what they come up with.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 12:07 PM »
I can't see Ford returning for this noway nohow...really I don't have much interest in this arc either.  I think the whole story has been told (of Anakin) and while they could continue on with something and have Hammill be back as Luke, it would feel so EU to me that I'd rather just let it end.  Close this chapter of my life and be happy with what we have.

I see the $$$ behind all of this though and studio pressure and see how it could happen

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 03:26 PM »
I too hope these are just rumors.  My wallet cant take this for another 20 years ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 05:05 PM »
Add me to the "Let it end" list.

A TV series, maybe with a mix of CGI and whatnot, completely animated in some format though...  That's what I'd not mind (It'd be EU still, and just something fun to keep the series going).  if done right, this could be great really.

Kind of like the rave reviews Clone Wars is getting, but on a larger scale than just 3-4 minute segments.

3 new movies though?  With actors who are showing their age at this point?  Nah...  not interesting.  

Sure there's tons of story left to tell, but let the EU people tell it and save it for TV at the most, but not more films...  Anakin's dead, so the Lucas side of the universe is dead with it I think after ROTJ.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 12:03 AM »
Wouldn't this fit well with the Hasbro License though?  2018?

Juggle the years a bit to better fit the licencse?  

Though from a Hasbro point of view (toys) it doesn't make much sense.  There already seems to be a movement back towards OT (acknowledgement that collectors are buying, not kids??) so how much life could there be?

I'd be fine with it stopping after III as well.  The movies are fun, but there's a point where people will just roll their eyes at the prospect.  

How's this for a downright spooky concept?  I was 13 when Star Wars came out.  IF, and it's a big if, they stayed on the timeline of every 3 years I will be 50 when Episode IX is released. :o  Gee, I wonder what my generation would be defined by in 100 years time?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 09:42 AM »
I think at this point I'd have to agree that Episodes 7-9 would feel like a tacked-on sequel in the vein of Jaws 2 or Alien 3. There just aren't the loose ends as of ROTJ--the story will need to generate a new antagonist as well as new heroes, and at that point I feel like it's not a continuation, but something else, milking the cash cow or something.

As it stands, the two trilogies do tell the story of Anakin Skywalker, period. If there are going to be more movies, I'd prefer them to be titled something stand-alone rather than be Episode Whatever.

The original Star Wars story is done, but they could tell another.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 05:14 PM »
I don't see it happening. If it did, I don't see it being good, either. Lucas was a good director and storyteller, and since he hasn't done much of either lately... I can't really imagine him putting together and directing 3 more SW films.

I'm not bashing Lucas, I'm just saying that I think he's run dry with the Star Wars franchise.