Author Topic: Lego Shop at Home exclusives, or what?!  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Lego Shop at Home exclusives, or what?!
« on: October 21, 2003, 08:46 PM »
I've been collecting most of the Lego line, including the nicer high end UCS items, but only at retail stores and usually for a good sales price.

But I'm growing concerned that Lego is changing it's selling strategies on some of the more expensive sets now, as they appear to really be "Lego shop at home" exclusives so far.  This list would include the UCS Star Destroyer, Cloud City playset and now the UCS Snowspeeder.

So does anyone know if these will ever hit retail stores, or am I just going to have to suck it up and pay full price for these through their website?  I'd hate to have to resort to that, since I'm generally a pretty crafty bargain hunter.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Lego Shop at Home exclusives, or what?!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 08:51 PM »
I would hope that they would be sold in stores.  Not sure if they'll be an online-only deal or not.
dustrho

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 12:16 AM »
I think you may have to resort to ordering a few of those items from their website. Some of those, like the Star Destroyer, will in all likelyhood never show up on a retailers shelf due to size and price. And I don't think they were ever meant to. And unless you have a Lego Outlet store near you, such as the Lego store in the Mall of America, then online is your only hope I'm afraid.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 06:12 PM »
This has been disappointing to me as well, since I've found some real nice deals on the previous high-end Lego sets, and was hoping to do the same with the three sets Grant mentioned above.  I have to at least think that the Bespin playset will eventually make it to retail though.  It's not terribly unlike many of the other larger playsets that Lego has put out as part of their standard line.

At least the Lego shop in Downtown Disney at Disneyland still has a few of those UCS Star Destroyers available, if the need arrises to go out and drop $300 on that as a last resort...   :-\