Author Topic: Jury duty. Hooray.  (Read 10152 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jury duty. Hooray.
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28 PM »
I am the last person any attorney ever wants on a jury, because I am voting based on who I think is guilty whether the evidence is airtight or not.

Hell, I would have voted for them to drag that Anthony nutbag right out behind the courthouse and put a bullet in her head if that was an option.

I don't expect I'll ever get selected because I am pretty extreme as far as crime and punishment goes.

Something like a civil trial would be much harder to deliberate I would think. So many shades of grey...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14 PM »
"Suspects are guilty. Period. Otherwise they wouldn't be suspects."  - Fan Film "Troopers"
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 01:11 PM »
I did this a few years ago.  IN NYC, you go for three days, and if you don't get picked you are done.

However, I got picked on the afternoon of the last day.  I then spent 5 days on a trial that involved a car accident and injuries.  However, most of the 5 days were half days, or, sometimes only an hour, so I was probably only in the courtroom for no more than 15 hours.  The cool thing was that at the time I was teaching High School and they said I "had" to take the whole day, because they were hiring a sub anyway.  I had a lot of free time!

The case settled without us having to make any decsions.  I thought both parties were full of crap and totally abusing the system.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I was called to Jury Duty when I was 18 of 19.  While the potential jurors were assembled in the back of the courtroom a defendant in an unrelated case was brought in for arraignment.  He was the father of two children that I had babysat for when I was younger.  He was in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffed.  His wife, daughter and son were in the front row.  He was charged with molesting his daughter and beating his wife and son.  He and his wife started yelling horrible, personal things at each other while the daughter broke down a cried.  I had no idea any of this was going on in that family and always felt like we had violated her by being in the room while that was going on.  Their must have been 25-30 of us sitting there listening to this family drama - it was awful.  Only made much worse by the fact that I knew them and had been in their home and care for their children.

I was selected for a trial - a traffic accident.  On the first day - I saw the defendants - one of my best friend's parents who had moved to the west coast after graduation.  Being 18 = I waved and said - "Hi Admiral & Mrs. Hinkle - how are you?  Did Bill come with you?"  Of course - that was the end of me being on the jury........
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(