Author Topic: Trick or Treat  (Read 2844 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Trick or Treat
« on: October 22, 2003, 05:03 PM »
It's that time of year again.  Time to buy a ton of candy for the little ones and fight with the dog and cat every time they hear a knock on the door and try to attack the innocent kids on the other end.

I swear one of the pets gets out every year.  I put the dog in pen and somehow, she manages to wiggle out.  I can't stand the racket they both make if I lock them in a room so I just wrestle them for control of the front door.  You would think the cat would run, but she just goes nuts when people come to the front door.  She sits on the railing and plays "gargoyle", starring down all the little kids.  The dog, basically, wants the kids to pet her....candy is just a bonus.

I spend about $50 bucks on the little bags of "snack size fun" bars and I think we eat a few bags before Halloween arrives.  (It's amazing the little mouse holes I find in each bag ;) ).   I still give cash out to the kids that come in Star Wars costumes (one year I gave a little boy a buck with his candy and he came back the next year with the same costume....the Dad that was with him told me he made a special point of wearing it again and coming to our house - good thing I still had some money left!!).

I love Halloween.  I love costumes so I think that is why I like the holiday so much.  It was always a huge deal in our house when I was a kid (my brothers had the greatest gory costumes) that it has carried over in to a big tradition here.  I have so many costumes; I could dress the entire neighborhood (and usually do when we all go out).

So...what does everyone else do on Halloween???
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Trick or Treat
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 05:14 PM »
Indeed you do have some impressive costumes Beth!   8)

No little ones in our household, so our festivities are generally limited to the visiting kids.  We just moved into a pretty quiet and private neighborhood, so we're not even sure what type of turnout we're going to get, if any.  But we'll have a few candlelit carved pumpkins on the porch and the candy ready to go just in case.  We'll probably slap the ol' Haunted Mansion CD in the stereo too...

We usually do a costume and pumpkin carving contest here at the office, so I'll have to see if I'm feeling inspired enough to join in again this year.  I'm pretty boring when it comes to the costumes though.  I think I was Freddy Kreuger for like 9 straight years in college...   :-\

Definitely a fun and exciting holiday though!  We always try to catch that silly little Hocus Pocus flick on the tube each year at this time as well.  Sets the tone, I guess.  But it's also exciting, 'cause it means that Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner!   :D  Can't believe how fast this year flew by!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 07:54 PM »
I used to dress up and go out... till I was about 12 years old... now I don't even hand out candy, I let the parents do that... I despise handing out candy. I mean, half the kids are my age, and every year there's a little brat who crams his/her hand into the bucket and takes half of the candy... alright I'm done nagging.  :-X

I just watch a scary movie (doesn't have to be scary, but most of the movies on TV are scary around this time).

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 09:49 PM »
I used to go out TOT until I was like 17 since around here alot of perants don't let there kids go out because of the boogyman that tries to hurt kids on Halloween (Prosious candy, razor blades in apples etc).   I can remeber when I was a young kid I would go out with my brother and sister TOT and went all over my nieghborhood with every single house giving out candy and kids out causing lines at front doors.  One year when I was 10 or so I wwent through a hunted house that was setup at a house and decided that I wanted do to something like that next year.  My oldest sister also wanted to create one so we both built one the next year and I'm still doing it.  I going to start building it up this coming monday and hopefully have it done by thursday so I can start carving my pumpkins on friday morning.  I will post pictures of my hunt once I get them developed.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 07:42 AM »
I haven't been ToT seriously since I was about 14.  After that, I usually went to a Halloween party at a friends house.  We used to go out on the night before Halloween and cause mischief, hence the name "Mischief Night".  Basically minor stupid stuff like toilet papering yards, egging places and things, soaping cars, etc.  The worst thing we ever did was pour white shoe polish on the black car of someone we despised.

Since then during college, we probably just drank (which wasn't any different from any other night of the week ;))  Now that I'm a professional, I don't do much.  We don't have kids yet and we live in an apartment building, so we don't get much, if any, trick or treaters.  Most of the time I end up watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.  Its a classic holiday show, up there with A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 11:50 AM »
Wow, it's been a loooong time since I did the TOT schtick.  

We used to do up the house pretty well, we have a covered walkway to our front door with wrought iron railings in a Monte Cristo style, so it lends itself to Halloween very well.  What we found though is kids would skip our house because it was too scary looking.

We don't get very many kids living on a cul-de-sac.  Low return for effort, they tend to spend more time on nearby straight, longer streets and who can blame them.  We get either very, very young kids or the kids who probably shouldn't be coming around 15-18.  Four guys actually came twice to our house last year that had to be at least 16.  But they changed costumes ??? :o so I wasn't too mad.  At least they made an effort.  

I really do not like kids that whine and complain though.  I have been known to reach right back into a kids bucket and take the candy back because of "attitude issues".  It ain't an entitlement junior, it's a courtesy on the part of homeowners.  You ain't owed nuthin'.  I've also been known to chase down that same kid after he egged my house ;D  You can think of me as older if you like, just remember I'm bigger and probably faster too :P  Guess that's the 'trick' part.

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 01:30 PM »
This is the first year I am doing up the house and such- I carved up a few neat SW pumpkins from the other thread- time consuming but worth the effort- That and because we live in the woods its crepy for kids to start with but picked up a ton of cheesy junk at the dollar store to dress it up so it should be fun
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 03:30 PM »
Well some years I dress up and go to a costume party or do nothing at all.  This year I wanted to go to this costume party but I will be out of town instead.  So, most likely I won't do anything for Halloween.  I might go to my parents place and help hand out candy for awhile.  They usually get around 100+ kids in their neighorhood.  

One year I went to this costume party that was being held by my church adult group.  I came in as Darth Maul.  There were a few people there that were actually offended because I looked too much like Satan.  I thought they were just joking.  Nope!  Of course other people there loved it.  I thought it was kind of funny that they were offended.  I know I should not find it funny but I did.  Some of those people were hypocrits.  It was not ok to dress up like Satan but it was ok if one or two of them cheated on each other's spouses.  

Anyway I like Halloween for the most part.  A fun holiday.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 06:27 PM »
I used to go out TOT until I was like 17...

I take it you didn't date until you were in your twenties, right?  ;)  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 05:56 PM »
I was going to go to a costume party tonight, but I got a date instead. I had a cool Joker costume all ready to go, but this date came up and I'd rather do that. Hopefully, it pays off in some way... ;D
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 11:36 AM »
I have to go to a Halloween party on Friday...and I'm not busting out the Bib Fortuna costume this year. I think this will be my costume. I know, I know...its pretty weak, but I'm just not in the mood this Halloween.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 12:12 PM »
I'm making a shark costume and going drinking tomorrow night.  I think a shark drinking will be funny on multiple levels.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 12:49 AM »
I will be taking JediMAX Trick or Treating for the first time.  He was only 6 months old last year...this year he's still a little little but he'll get a kick out of it too

Carved our pumpkins tonight as well...good times

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #13 on: November 1, 2003, 10:33 AM »
I just watch a scary movie (doesn't have to be scary, but most of the movies on TV are scary around this time).

I lied. Ended up going to a friend's house - we just had a beer, ate snacks (Cajun Rice and crackers on the side... simply orgasmic, my friends), watched Spongebob Squarepants, the South Park movie, SeaLab, and a bunch of other funny cartoons... just had a good time... Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the trick-or-treaters' costumes, my friend doesn't get any where she lives. My mom says we had zero Star Wars trick-or-treaters, as opposed to two last year.  >:(

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 1, 2003, 01:00 PM »
No Star Wars trick-or-treaters this year but a lot of Spiderman and Hulk.
Lot's of candy left (I always over buy) so the office will be happy come Monday!!
Beth