Author Topic: COMMTech Question  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
COMMTech Question
« on: October 26, 2003, 03:24 AM »
Seeing as I stooped collecting the vintage as a youngster and did not pick up the bug again until the Episode 1 era, I missed the Modern Power of the Force entirely until I started working my way back after the EP1 craze died down a bit. I am curious about how one used the COMMTech chips that came with the Modern POTF until they release the COMMTech chip reader with the EP1 figures? Was it a short enough wait that it did not matter, or was it something that frustrated collectors until it's release?
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: COMMTech Question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 06:43 PM »
I don't think any POTF2 came out wiith CT chips till after the E1 blitz with the reader...  So no wait, no worries...  :)  Sucked anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 06:46 PM »
Commtech chips made an appearance with the launch of the Episode 1 line.  The Commtech reader came out at the same time as Episode 1 figures, so there was no delay.  The last few waves of POTF2 came with Commtech chips, but that was well after Episode 1 figs.    
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 06:22 AM »
The POTF2 series that came out just before the release of EPISODE I was the Flashback series.  This consisted of Luke Skywalker with floppy hat, R2-D2 with launching saber, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Chewbaca-Hoth, Princess Leia-Ceremonial Gown, C-3PO from the Jundland Wastes, Aunt Beru, and Anakin Skywalker.  You'll recall that these had the flashback cards that showed the characters as they would appear in the prequels, or it would picture a predecessor.

The POTF2 CommTech series was the next POTF2 line, and it coincided with the release of the EPISODE I line.  If my memory serves me right, the first CommTech wave, with Han, Luke, Greedo and the Jawa with Power Droid came out a few months after EPISODE I launched.  I think all in all there were about 3 waves of POTF2 CommTech figures.

I guess it can be kind of confusing since the EPISODE I line was so big, and the POTF2 Commtech line seemed almost like an afterthought.  Anyhow, the chips made for good stands, and some of them sounded decent, but most didn't.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 10:29 AM »
I think the only place that I saw any non-EP1 COMMTechs was Toys 'R' Us and they were on close out with many other remnants of the late Modern POTF waves. Got my first Chewie (of the modern era) there (Hoth Flashback)! Anyway, I just wasn't all that aware then and I appreciate the responses.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 02:03 PM »
One more thing, the CommTech series of figures, in my opinion, are where Hasbro really turned a corner in their sculpting, painting, articulation and deco for the SW line.  I almost consider this as the grandfather of Power Of The Jedi, since they were good, realistic sculpts that were designed to appeal to the collectors.  This part of POTF2 was one of my favorite series made by Hasbro.

Feedback

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 04:52 PM »
Agreed. I have noticed in my trading expeience that army builders want the CTC Stormtrooper because they think that it's sculpt is the best.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 05:59 PM »
Not only that, but the Han Solo is considered one of the best.  A lot of people love that Vader.  The R2-D2 with holo Leia was one of the hottest figures ever AND was one of the first really good astromech sculpts.  Admiral Motti is still a great find anywhere, as is the hooded Leia.  Add in one of the best Stormtroopers ever, and this is indeed one of the best SW basic figure lines ever.

Feedback

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 01:11 PM »
Yup...the POTF chips came after the reader...personally I only found thwe Jawa and CT Stormie, but that was good enough for me.