Author Topic: So Cal wildfires...  (Read 19191 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
So Cal wildfires...
« on: October 27, 2003, 01:45 PM »

So we've got over 10 wildfires burning out of control in various areas around Southern California right now...  At least 13 dead and over 850 houses burned down, and growing by the minute.

We've got a couple fires that are getting dangerously close to our new house, only about a 10 minute drive away - the Simi Valley fire and the Lake Piru fire.  As soon as I left the house this morning, I saw the huge plumes of black smoke rising up over the closest range of hills.  We're pretty much surrounded on 3 sides by the fires right now, and we live down in a small valley, so once they start down all the neighboring hills, we're going to be in deep $h!t...   :-\

Here's a satellite photo of Southern California, so you can get an idea about how widespread the area is right now - covering hundreds of miles from San Diego all the way up to Ventura - 4 or 5 different counties...

I was up in Santa Barbara about 10 years ago when the Painted Cave fire happened as well.  Burned down what seemed like half of Santa Barbara at the time.  600+ structures destroyed in that one.  The ash and soot both then and now generally cover the entire area as if it was night time, while snowing down ashes everywhere.  Pretty crazy...

Anyone else dealt with wildfires before?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 02:01 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: So Cal wildfires...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 02:00 PM »
Never dealt with fires before but I have been thinking about you Matt the past few days hoping that all was well.  That doesn't sound to good though?  You and Patty made any plans to evacuate or move your stuff out of your home to a safe locale?

Hope eveything turns out well Matt :-\

BTW, thought I'd add that tonight's MNF Game was moved to Phoenix due to the fires in San Diego as well...pretty scary

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 03:40 PM »
I was just coming here to see how you were doing Matt, and you have a thread up already.

Are you packing up some of your valuables just in case you are asked to evacuate?

These are suppsosedly the 2nd worst fires ever in CA, and it sucks that you're so close to them.

I was living in Northern Cali when the big fires hit Oakland in the 90's. I lived in Vallejo then, so we were well out of the path....but my school did a relief collection for the families and then I went down there to drop stuff off. We drove by the fires (some of which were really close to the freeways) and took pictures to give to the yearbook staff before we dropped off our goods.

Man, I have never seen anything like that, and your pictures really reminded me of those times.  It's amazing that in this day and age man is still reminded how insignificant we are when it comes to the elements.

Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 04:51 PM »
Thanks for the concern Scott and Josh.  Yeah, I am starting to plan a little for a potential evacuation.  Have a lot of friends and family on standby in case we need to empty out the house (after just filling it up 2 months ago).  The hobby room is in a total state of disarray right now, so packing that stuff up quickly would be almost impossible (Star Wars, DVDs, CDs, baseball cards, model railroading, etc.)

As for the rest of the stuff, a fair amount of it is still boxed up at this point, so that would be pretty easy to deal with.  Most of our furniture at this point is still "hand-me-downs", so it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost some of it.  Not sure how the heck we would deal with some of the bigger stuff though, like the piano, fridge, washer/dryer, etc.  Might rent a giant U-haul truck if I have to, and just fill the thing up.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

SoCal looks like a war zone right now though.  Everywhere you look, it's dark brown/black sky, with giant pillars of smoke everywhere, and ashes snowing down on top of everything.  Makes you wonder how much of this was done on purpose, and by whom.  They're reporting that at least two of the bigger ones were set by arsonists...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 05:16 PM »
I was just reading more about this over at CNN, and was curious how you were doing as well JediMAC.  I wasn't sure exactly how close you were to everything, but it sounds like it is too close right now.  Our thoughts are definitely with you and your wife/family, I hope that these fires end soon, and no one else has to lose their homes or especially their lives.  All the best to you, hope everyone stays safe, be careful, take care, and God bless.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 05:39 PM »
I've been thinking about you too, Matt.  I realized when I mailed your box how close you were to the fires that were being discussed on the tv.
Thanks for keeping us posted, keep safe.
Beth

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 06:43 PM »
Matt hope every thing goes okay with your house and all of the So Cal JDers who live in any area affected by these fires.  When I heard about the Simi fire I thought of you guys and you new home around that general area.  I know to many people that have been affected by all of these fires co workers and my cousin.  My cousin, who lives near Fontana had to be evcautated on friday leaving behind probably all of his Star Wars collection and other items he has in his house.  One of my cowrokers also lives in that area but both of their homes are okay.  My manger's house had a wall on fire and I haven't heard how he faired with it, I need to ask him next time I see him.  ANother one of my Co workers ex's house was threaten and he went over to pick up his car and to check to see if she was okay.  Also yesterday a lady who didn't want to cross our picket line was talking how she had to since she lives in Davoe and had to visit her parents in Walnut.   I hope the authorities get the SOB's who let these things and charge them with the highest possible charges.
I just wish this stuipid smoke will blow away so I can breath and not have to worry about hacking up my lung from all of the ash in falling over here.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 06:55 PM »
Yeah Matt, I've been hoping you're ok too...  

Cali's got to be the worst place on Earth for Natural Disasters...  Earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires, etc...  I hope everything is gotten under control out there really soon, and that your home is spared in the meantime while they get a handle on all of this.

I'll never complain about our incliment weather, that's for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Carrie M

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 07:14 PM »
Good luck Matt, you and the wife are in my thoughts...
Carrie, collector of Tusken-y things.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 08:30 PM »
stay strong man,best hopes and regads from SC. :)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 10:15 PM »
I've been watching the news & been thinking about you & Patty.  

The only wildfires that were bad up here was in BC earlier this year. I had friends that were on evacuation alert in Kelowna. Everything worked out for them.

My thoughts are with you Matt!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 11:11 PM »
My thoughts are with you and your wife Matt.  Lets hope that fire doesn't hit your house, or anyone of your family members or friends' houses.  It is awful seeing that stuff on TV, and knowing there isn't a damn thing I can do to help put it out.
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 01:06 AM »
Thanks for the concern and well wishes everybody!  Patty and I appreciate it.  Couple other JDers out in the path of the fire too like Jared and Bil, so best wishes to those fellas as well!  The good news is that the winds are dying down a bit, and the weather's supposed to be cooling off tomorrow (still 90's/100's today).

The bad news is that we can now see two seperate fires (Simi Valley and Piru) on two different sides of us from one street up in our neighborhood.  The Piru one is still a good ways off, but the Simi Valley one has started coming over the hills into the Santa Clarita Valley just in the last hour or so (from the Porter Ranch/Chatsworth areas).  Probably about 5-6 miles away.  Nothing much but hills and brush (and a large freeway) between us and the lower point of that fire right now.

Keeping our fingers crossed, but we'll be checking it out first thing in the morning to help determine if we want to start loading some things up...

The latest statistics indicate 15 dead and 1,100+ structures destroyed now throughout SoCal, with very little containment still at this point.  Pretty scary!   :'(

« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 01:11 AM by JediMAC »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 01:06 PM »
How are things looking down there this morning?
Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 01:44 PM »
Well, the Simi Valley fire still looked pretty ominous as of this morning, but they seemed to have held the fire line at the top of the ridge of mountains that descend into the valley that I live in, which is right where it was last night the last time I checked it.  It still seems to be burning up on that range pretty badly, but mostly just on the other side now it appears, so I think today's looking fairly safe - at least for us... I think.   :-\  The other nearby Piru fire that we can see is still a safe distance away.

I'm still tuned into the radio listening for the latest updates at all times though.  We also packed a few "essentials" up last night and got our game plan in place just in case.  Still overwhelming smoke and lots of ashes everywhere too...

Patty's aunt and uncle's vacation cabin up in the mountains of Big Bear is now being threatened by a seperate fire though.  One of our favorite places to get away to, so hopefully it stays safe.  Unbelievably sad to watch the news and see all the people mourning over the loss of their houses...