Author Topic: So Cal wildfires...  (Read 19121 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: So Cal wildfires...
« Reply #30 on: May 5, 2004, 12:08 AM »
100+ weather?  Blech...

I'm glad I'm not where you are Matt...  80 here's already too hot to suit me.  It's too hot right now anyway, it's only May.  70's or 60's I like though.

Hope all remains well for you this year...  Why they don't get out there and clear that brush out, I do not know...  I'd think if it's such a problem, it'd be prudent that the borough, state, or whatever get on that ya know?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 5, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Why does California get so damn hot?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 5, 2004, 12:15 PM »
100+ weather?  Blech...

I'm glad I'm not where you are Matt...  80 here's already too hot to suit me.  It's too hot right now anyway, it's only May.  70's or 60's I like though.

Hope all remains well for you this year...  Why they don't get out there and clear that brush out, I do not know...  I'd think if it's such a problem, it'd be prudent that the borough, state, or whatever get on that ya know?

Most counties have for the past ten years or so, since the 1994 wildfires, have made it mandatory that if you live in a area where brush is to clear it out, in LA county its 100 feet, other places it depends.  If you don't do it the county will send out crews to clear it and bill you for the service.  Unforutantely alot of homeowners have areas that are either state or federaly owned or have a protected speice in it so they can't clear out the brush as much as they should.  
One thing thatI heard on the news yesterday sounded like they are going to do ban smoking in cars to help stop fires from starting from people throwing the cigrates out the window.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2004, 08:38 PM »
Oh ****!  MASSIVE brush fire burning out of control half mile away from our house right now!  We’re packing up the house, and it looks like pitch black night time outside, and absolutely raining ashes down everywhere…  This is WAY closer than last year’s fire.  They’ve closed down our freeway and are evacuating a few of the neighborhoods right next to us.  They’re even starting a couple back fires just over the hill from our house.  It's been over 100 degrees all day, with serious winds blowing too.  Not good.

And to top it all off, we were nearly two hours away driving to Palm Springs, when we heard about the fire, so we had to turn around and drive all the way back, which took almost twice that long due to all the freeway closures and clogged side streets.  It looked like a nuclear bomb went off over Santa Clarita.  Plus, there’s another huge fire burning on the far side of our city (probably 7 miles away), so there’s nothing but smoke in every direction.  This totally sucks!  They said this area hasn’t burned since 1962, so of course, what better time to burn than 8 months after the last fire.  Two times in 11 months since we’ve moved into our new home here.  This is freakin’ ridiculous…

Alright, back to loading the cars!  ARGH!!!   >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2004, 08:49 PM »
Oh ****!  

Holy ****! Way to close, pack what you can & get the heck out of there Matt. Best of luck to you & Patty & everyone else.

Damm, wish the big whopping rain & hail storm we had last Sunday was down there & not up here.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2004, 10:11 PM »
Was wondering how you guys were doing with this new fire Matt.  I can't belive how fast that sucker is moving 1000 arces per hour I have heard.  I probally have a few friends that are on the fire line either they or in one of the other local fires we have here I think theres at least three major ones.  Hope everything goes okay for you.  
I wish this stuipid heat would go away but know it won't until December or so.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2004, 11:14 PM »
Hang in there bud and best of luck to youse guys.  Be safe. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2004, 01:37 AM »
I've been wondering about you Matt, and how close that stuff's been to you lately.  I really hope this is taken care of, and that you, Patty, and your home are going to be ok...

I'd be to the breaking point myself...  I couldn't live under conditions where natural disaster was so imminent.  CA just seems to be disaster waiting to happen 24/7.    :-\

I hope you're ok, seriously, and that the fire's contained very soon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2004, 01:57 AM »
This is just unreal. I keep seeing this stuff on the news and wondering how you are doing down there.

Here's hoping they got the fire in your area under control and we'll still be meeting up for drinks in less than a week.

Thoughts are with you and yours tonight.
Got Clones?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2004, 02:19 AM »
Woah, there are more fires over there? Yikes. That shows how uninformed I am now. Hope you can make it out without a scratch, MAC. :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2004, 02:14 PM »
Hope everything is OK Matt.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2004, 03:54 PM »
Holy Crap matt, lightning strikes again, not cool, not cool at all, hope all is well and I've been thinking of you guys all weekend

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2004, 05:15 PM »
Good luck Colman.

SilverZ

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2004, 06:11 PM »
Best of luck, Matt.  The area that's burning now went up a couple years ago, as well, when I was living there. (I used to live literally a block away from where Matt is now). I remember standing on my patio and seeing the plumes of smoke, and it felt like it was only moments away.

Since the area is such a narrow valley the smoke tends to settle inside it and not blow over, and you end up living under its umbrella. It leaves an almost apocalyptic feeling with the sun blocked and everything taking on a dark orange hue. Soot covers everything and you can't escape the smell.

However, the area made it through the last incident safely. As epic and disastrous as it looks there's a lot of people looking out for the safety of the area and it will get under control.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2004, 07:25 PM »
I'm guessing since he hasn't checked in today that he's be evacuated...you SoCal guys know that or not?  His town, neighborhood etc