Author Topic: Jabba's Palace Wave  (Read 17929 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 10:07 AM by OCB »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Jabba's Palace Wave Pics!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 04:32 PM »
Thanks for posting this OCB!  I was hoping we might get a look at these figures this week, and I think they look great.  I've always really wanted a new Lando Skiff, and its great to see more aliens to add to Jabba's palace.  This whole group of figures really looks good to me.  I think that the 2004 figures continue to impress overall, and I really hope that everyone who is looking for these can find them.  It looks to be a great year of collecting IMO :).

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 04:35 PM »
Sweeeeeet!

I do believe I'll buy the entire wave...  :-*
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 04:36 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 04:43 PM »
Wow!!!  :o :o :o

The Luke Hologram looks a little funky. I'm glad to see that we may start getting holograms with a little color to them (here's hoping for a new Spirit of Obi-Wan), but this seems too dark and not blue enough. I'm hoping that gets corrected a bit.

Lando looks awesome! Hopefully we'll see a new General Lando as well done as this. I love the blaster holster and the helmet looks great!

J'Quille looks cool. I made a custom of J'Quille that I sculpted from scratch. After seeing this, I like my custom even more! I'll definitely be getting this, but my J'Quille custom won't be retired to another shelf as I had originally thought.

Rappertunie looks great too. I've been hoping to get this guy since '97. There was just something cool and "Muppetty" about him.

Elom looks to share parts with J'Quille, which doesn't bother me at all. I mean, they are both shaggy, so it really makes no difference as long as the paint is correct.

I'm going to reserve judgement on Jabba until I see actual photos of him without the tongue. I do like what I'm seeing at least better than '97 Jabba!  :-[

B'ommar Monk, Bubo and Wol Cabbashite...bring 'em on!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 04:53 PM »
Indeed, a nice looking wave thus far...

Nice scoop there Scott, way to go!

Who wouldn't say Lando's the BEST looking of the group.  Holy cow!  Working holster, removable helmet, force pike...  he's sharp.

The 2 new aliens of the group do Indeed reuse the body mold which was expected/feared by many...  If that's the case for the actual props I'm cool with it.  I like their blaster rifle too (though it'd have been nice if one of them came with a unique gun, but I digress).

They appear to be pretty well articulated too, for a couple background furballs.

Jabba's Jabba...  We've been down the road of what could have made this guy better and what we SHOULD have probably gotten in a $20-ish set (The good news, ROTJ Vintage Jabba's dais isn't expensive).

Rappertunie is...  Well, he's like WA-7.  He's set dressing, even as an action figure...  Very uninteresting to me, and not useful for much more than sitting next to the other Jabba's band figures we have already, haha.

Bubo ROCKS, for being basically an accessory...  :)  The B'Omar's unfortunately a rehash, as I too was hoping for a new sculpt with maybe just the 4-legged version of the B'Omar Monk...  It's not something I really wanted a 2nd of, but I do want that Bubo cuz he rocks.  The other "thing" in that set is funny that it's even being made...  It's also funny that he licked 3-PO's head.  I'll probably have to incorporate him into that mottif somehow.  It's his claim to fame afterall.

The Holographic Luke looks to be the "weakest" of the group, but for some reason it's still welcome to me.  It's something I know I wanted for no good reason.  What I'm curious about is, why the sabre?  :)  Not that I mind getting an extra one of those awesomely sculpted Luke Jedi sabres (That's a NICE accessory), but he's a hologram! :D  A "projection" accessory that attached somehow to R2's dome and connected to Luke would've been better IMO.  A sort of "force effect" thing.  He looks to be simply the ROTJ Luke sculpt reused, like Holo Sidious...  That's fine though.

That Lando still holds the title for best of the bunch, with the 2 aliens (Whiphid and Elom) in a close 2nd for that title...  Lando is just a truly vast improvement, and I didn't even want a resculpt of him till now.  They really REALLY improved Lando...

Now I want even more resculpts of POTF2 figures...  If they are all this great, how could you not want to see more resculpts?  That puts the POTF2 Lando Skiff to shame and I used to think it was a half-decent figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 05:07 PM »
Everyone loves Lando.  ;)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 05:11 PM »
I agree, I really think that the Lando is the best of the bunch.  They all look great, the Luke is probably the worst..although I do think that the hologram Luke does seem to be the same mold as the Jabba's Palace Luke we have coming next year, which isn't a bad thing I guess.  Anyways, that Lando is top notch, and I agree with JesseJames, it makes you want to see some more of the POTF2 characters resculpted.  The waves keep looking better and better, can't wait to see what the rest of 2004 holds for us.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 05:50 PM »
J'Quille and Elom look fantastic!  Both aliens will make fine additions to my collection.  The rest of the wave looks pretty good too (Lando, Bubo, Licky Jabba, etc), for the exception of the piece of crap that is Holo Luke.  It looks horrible!  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 06:55 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

So far Hasbro is hitting all home runs in 2004.  This is a great bunch of figs.  I kind of like Luke, but yeah, he could be a little more blue.  J'Quille is fantastic, as is Elom, and along with Rappertunie are my favorites.  It's all good.

SilverZ

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 08:48 PM »
 ;D Those are some mighty nice looking figures!

Have to agree that Lando looks great, especially for a figure that I didn't think really needed a resculpt in the 1st place. I stand corrected.

Rappertunie: Best. Figure. Ever.

That holo Luke is interesting, but yeah, he should be a lot more blue. Maybe this is a figure to hold off on judgement of until the finished product is shown. I have a feeling that the production plastics used may be an important factor in making this work. Still think the sculpt is great, regardless.

I'm really suprised there's not another piece of Jabba's throne room in there with the Monk and Bubo. I had my hopes up that they'd sneak it in somewhere.

J

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 09:36 PM »
All of the figures look AWESOME! Except for the Holo Luke. WTF was Hasbro thinking?  ??? There are so many things wrong with that figure, but I won't list them all. I'll be getting everything except for Luke. Hopefully they'll be easy to find!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 10:56 PM »
 :o these look soooo sweet... too bad i'll probably never see any of them at retail near my house...  >:(  :(

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 07:16 AM »
Awesome!

My love for freaky deaky aliens is really going to come out with this wave.  J'Quille, Whiphid, a musical turtle-frog hybrid, an alien dog and a droid licking (that doesn't said too good) ceilling hanging creature.  Not to mention the main man slug, Jabba.  Lack of dias aside, he still looks pretty good.

The two humans look great also.  Luke looks a little weird, hopefully there is a little more blue to him in the final product.

All in all, an awesome lineup.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 09:06 AM »
Yeah, someone said Luke looks like candy.  I could see him sitting on the end of a giant lollipop.   I'll still get him anyway.  I think the Lando looks great, too.  But like SilverZed3 said, I really didn't think he needed to be done again.  I'll have to look at it next to the last released Skiff Lando.  I love Rappertunie and look forward to seeing the drummers eventually being added.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2003, 09:15 AM »
Sweet figures!  :o

Lando is awesome! The rest of the wave is superb!  8)
Now for Luke---