Community > Watto's Junk Yard

I need some help on my Physics... Please.

(1/3) > >>

Angry Ewok:
Let me make it clear that I'm a moron in math, and thus, I'm also a moron in Physics at this point. I just bombed a quiz on converting Base units... so I really want some help. Please help me out, but if you dont know, dont act like you do. Thanks in advance.

Example -
C3PO weighs 200 ibs, convert his weight to metric kilograms.

1 kg = 2.2 ibs, so it's 2.2 ibs divided by 200 ibs, which equals 90.9, so C3PO weighs 90.9 kilograms?

Example -
Blue Snaggletooth stands 3 ft. tall, convert his height to millimeters.

1 ft. = 12 inches, so 12 times 3 (ft) is 36. So Blue Snaggletooth is 36 inches. 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters, so 2.54 centimeters multiplied by 36 inches is 91.44 centimeters. Slide the decimal to the right to convert centimeters to millimeters, making Blue Snaggletooth 914.4 millimeters tall?

Example -
A squad of Dewbacks patrol a 12 mile perimeter, convert the miles to kilometers.

1 mi. = 1.6 km, so 1.6 km multiplied by 12 mi is 19.2 km. The dewbacks patrolled 19.2 km?

Please let me know if I'm correct, if not, please correct me and explain. Thanks a lot.

JediMAC:
Everything looks right to me Brad!  I don't know jack about Physics, but I'm pretty good with math (I'm an auditor), and all of your calculations there check out just fine with me...

Angry Ewok:
Thanks a ton, (Jedi)Mac. As I was telling (Jedi)Chris, I got kicked out of math class doing those really important days, so I never really have understood all of the formulas. Now I'm having to make-up for them days I wanted to be a badass.  :-[

Hopefully I'll be able to recover from that quiz and make a A this 6 weeks.

Scott:
Brad sorry I missed this one...

keeping track of units is a snap

Converting mm to feet

10 mm  * 0.039 in  * 0.0833 ft = 0.033 ft
                       mm                in

What you are doing when converting is multiplying the original number by 1/1

0.039 in = 1 mm ...  0.039 in/1 mm = 1

The easy way to check is to make sure your units cancel on both sides of the equation, so the mm and in cancel above and you are left with ft

Hopefully I am not too late  :-\

If you have any other question feel free to ask, I've had a Semester of Physics at College ;)

JediMAC:
So does that mean that I goofed this up Scott?  I didn't really understand what his questions had to do with Physics, but from a purely mathematical point it looked like his examples and answers checked out just fine...

If I just caused you to fail your class, let me know Brad, and I'll send a note to your teacher explaining that it was all my fault!   :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version