Author Topic: One of the reasons I prefer JediDefender...  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: One of the reasons I prefer JediDefender...
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2003, 05:24 PM »
Also this site won't go ape over some stuck up 13 year old who likes yoda...

- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2003, 06:29 PM »

I don't see why it has to be an either/or kind of thing. Both places have merits.
I obviously prefer RS...but I still visit here from time to time. Especially in the last couple of weeks as I was wondering how Matt was doing down south. This was definitely the right forum for him to have been posting that info in. Because everyone knows who he is here, and we were all really concerned. There was no "flaming"  :), post padding or other silliness going on in that thread. Just genuine interest in how things were going for him.

Someone starts up a personal grief thread at the other site, and sooner or later...they always go downhill if they aren't carefully monitored.

Does that mean that the community here is BETTER? Nah. Just smaller.
 And more respectful of one another because of that.  After all, just about everyone here is also a member at other sites, whether they frequent those or not.  Do they suddenly become "better people" when they log into JD? Nah. They just choose to be on their "Good behavior" over here.

A bad apple here would REALLY stand out, and be really easy to deal with.
That's probably why nobody tries it.

Think of it like a football game. 4 people can't storm the field and overwhelm stadium security after a win, but 400 people can. :)

If I'm wrong, let me know....but I think it all comes down to numbers. Sure, there are going to be more troublemakers at a site with over 15 times as many registered members. But there are also a ton of good people there. Last time I checked, most of you guys still had a membership.

I think it's ok to visit more than one place for my Star Wars fix.    :)

Got Clones?

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2003, 06:47 PM »
Do they suddenly become "better people" when they log into JD?  Nah.  They just choose to be on their "Good behavior" over here.

A bad apple here would REALLY stand out, and be really easy to deal with.  That's probably why nobody tries it.

Both very true.  For some members it probably just boils down to what they think they can get away with doing, and how their fellow members will respond to it.

It probably also boils down to people's tolerance for annoying people, whether it's because they're immature, rude, disrespectful, just not too bright, whatever.  Sometimes just seeing people like that sprinkled in with the better members is enough to drive some folks away.  Obviously that's a fairly shallow approach to forum surfing, but it is dictated by one's own tastes.  A few troublesome bad apples are enough to irk me into total avoidance, whether on a temporary or permanent basis.

There's been a couple that've popped up briefly here in the past, but they appear to have been dealt with pretty quickly.  Knowing I won't get a headache when reading members posts and opinions here is what attracts me to JD.  I don't deny that there's some good people at the other sites, but that's not enough to hold my interest.  I want them to all be good people.

But it is a numbers game, like you said.  There's certainly more lively conversation at RS, and a lot more to talk about (quantity wise, not necessarily quality wise), so those are some benefits to a much larger membership.  But "the more the merrier" doesn't always hold true when it comes to forum surfing, at least not for me.  I prefer "the less, the cozier and friendlier" myself.   :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2003, 07:45 PM »
My deal is this - hopefully any grudges that members have @ RS are dropped over here... sort of like a clean slate.

Some people may choose to hold onto bad feelings when they post over here, but I sort of like being pleasant every once and awhile.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2003, 08:20 PM »
...but I sort of like being pleasant every once and awhile.

Ain't that the truth!  I don't think Brad's pissed on a single thread over here...   :P

It's all about personal preferences really.  JD is my home, but I still poke my nose into GH and RS from time to time as well.  Some good folks in their neck of the woods that I enjoy catching up with...   8)

I think ALL of the sites are just parts of a greater whole.  Some parts may be bigger than others, but it's all about just enjoying talking with your fellow collectors about Star Wars stuff, which is the #1 aim for each respective site!   :-*

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2003, 09:44 PM »
There's been a couple that've popped up briefly here in the past, but they appear to have been dealt with pretty quickly.

Oh MAN, and don't I wish we could do that over there. Just nip certain problem children in the bud. One of my favorite threads here involved a certain annoying dude from RS (who I won't name) asking if it was ok to post pad over here, and how you guys felt about it. He was promptly shot down by about 10 people, and I just loved that.  It was like "Oh, I can't be a moron at JD?" and then was never heard from again.

The fact that everyone is involved in keeping this place clean is definitely an enviable trait of this site. For every one person at RS who wants to keep it clean, there are 10 that want to mess it up. So if I had to single out one thing in particular, I would definitely cite that JD has that going for it.

In the end.....I have to echo this:

I think ALL of the sites are just parts of a greater whole.  Some parts may be bigger than others, but it's all about just enjoying talking with your fellow collectors about Star Wars stuff, which is the #1 aim for each respective site!

AMEN.

Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2003, 09:51 PM »
The reason I went back to Rebelscumw was because you Josh were appointed a mod...I have hope that at least the ship isn't going to sink totally yet  :P  I also like the fact that the traffic there is high and you can find a lot of stuff to talk about and Wuher's has been a place of residence for quite some time (almost 4 years) which makes it hard to leave behind.  And Josh's analogy is right...I've said for a long time now that RS needs a ton more mods to police the abundant traffic they have.  The sad thing is that good mods are hard to come by and it is an overall thankless job

GH is also a great place...some of the best guys and gals on the net hang out there and also some long time CSWers who I have befriended over the years.

And what we have here is a group of people many whom we hand picked that we thought would be willing to try to build a new community with us at the helm.  Sure we don't have the traffic that RS has or the scoops and exclusive news that GH has but I think we are all friends here.  Bullcrap that goes on a Scum isn't allowed here because we care about everyone That does not mean we are perfect, there have been some pretty regrettable bumps in the road...but we are all fairly new (the staff that is) at this and we are doing the best we can.

We can't say how thrilled we are to have eveyone who posts here, it is great...this is the highlight of our site.  We have a lot planned for the future as well and as soon as some of the bigger bumps get taken care of look for some exciting new things to start coming out of JD.com :-*

And Matt summed up the whole community thing very nicely :)
« Last Edit: November 5, 2003, 09:53 PM by OCB »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2003, 10:46 PM »
I'm here for the shallowest of reasons.  Matt, Scott and Jim are over here more than anywhere else and I get to beg from them more often ;D

Lots of good points to be had at all the sites and there are lots not already mentioned.  The biggest reason for my being here is simply that I don't  have enough time to visit all the sites, so you pick what you like.  I'm old and crusty and it's tolerated well here.  There is a ton of information and probably the strongest selling point for me is the diversity of stuff that people over here collect.  Star Wars +++++   The general maturity is better here too, as pointed out above.  

This site has a good mix of modern and vintage collectors and they tolerate stupid questions, most beneficial to me.  

I spend my time here, snowtroopers.ca, mcfarlane.com.  I visit RS and GH when I can.  

Last point from me is to the mods/admins at this site.  I have been a mod before and Scott nailed it on the head.  It is completely  thankless and you never please everyone, let alone anyone.  

So thanks. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: November 5, 2003, 10:52 PM »
I've got it divided up like this:

-Here's my home...  I visit this site first every day, and visit our forums the most often I think.

-Scum's where I've spent the most time...  I don't like a lot of the turns it has taken, and I think there's a LOT of people there in need of banning while others are cited for the smallest things and "threatened" with banning and shouldn't be.  It basically has problems, but it has traffic and the better customizing forum (FFURG's adopted one so I have to travel there a bit anyway).  I like the conversation with the GOOD people there though, so I go to it a bit.

-Then GH.com gets my attention because of who's there more than the content...  I like Mike, I like Apok, etc., and the site's a lot of the original people I got to know in the online collectng community because of CSW's days.  The conversation's good when it comes, so I hop in there too.

Everyone has something good...  And not a slite at RS, but only rebelscum has a lot "bad" going on there...  I think it's partly the site, but not completely, and I still like going there.  But there are a few names I can think of that have been openly warned but still make their "remarks" and are members there.  Someday maybe they'll be gone though...  RS would run a LOT smoother then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 6, 2003, 01:06 PM »
No need to start a flame war Cory, stop the trolling ok

??  I don't see where Cory said anything mean in this thread. Did something get deleted?

And what we have here is a group of people many whom we hand picked that we thought would be willing to try to build a new community with us at the helm.  Sure we don't have the traffic that RS has or the scoops and exclusive news that GH has but I think we are all friends here.

Well, that's the most important thing about this place, I think. I mean, I used to go to GH, but it was just a smaller, less interesting mirror of RS. This place has a lot of the same topics too (which I avoid) but it also has stuff to talk about that probably wouldn't fly over there. Stuff that's a little more personal. That's kind of cool. This site definitely has it's niche, and that's why I visit.  :)

The reason I went back to Rebelscumw was because you Josh were appointed a mod...I have hope that at least the ship isn't going to sink totally yet  

Cripes. That's a lot to live up to. I'm trying my best I suppose, but I don't know that I make too much of a dent, sometimes. I know I missed a bunch of reports on a particularly heated thread this morning because I was too busy eating my cinnamon Crispix (which are suprisingly tasty, btw).

Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: November 6, 2003, 01:51 PM »
??  I don't see where Cory said anything mean in this thread. Did something get deleted?

That's what I wondered this morning when I logged in after finishing an even more delicious bowl of Golden Grahams.   8)

Sounds like Cory deleted it...  Which led to Scott deleting his at the same time you were apparently quoting it, which makes our comments here totally confusing, since they're both referring to non-existent posts now...   :P
« Last Edit: November 6, 2003, 01:53 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 6, 2003, 01:55 PM »
 ;D
Sounds like Cory deleted it...  Which led to Scott deleting his at the same time you were apparently quoting it, which makes our comments here totally confusing, since they're both referring to non-existent posts now...  

What posts?
What comments?
What the heck are you talking about?
Nothing is as it seems, here....in the Matrix.

;D
Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: November 6, 2003, 02:32 PM »
Move Along...Move Along...

Those posts never existed :-*

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 6, 2003, 05:25 PM »
Also this site won't go ape over some stuck up 13 year old who likes yoda...

I sure as heck hope this site would do as much as it could to keep a bunch of adults from picking on a kid.  I mean, if adults are that easily riled up by a 13-year old, well, the problem isn't the stuck up child...  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #29 on: November 6, 2003, 05:41 PM »
Like I've said, it should be clean slate over here - so if any 13 year olds who like Yoda decide to frequent this place - hopefully he/she won't give anyone a reason to pick on them.

(shrug)