Author Topic: New Ultra Clone shots at JD.com!  (Read 37771 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: New Ultra Clone shots at JD.com!
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2003, 03:36 AM »
Damn, you guys are lucky!

I haven't found ONE yet, and I'm really into having like 100+ of some army builders (these bad boys included).  I liked Forceguy's point about the hips not being ball/socket.

Maybe if we get a super articulated Scouttrooper someday, he'll have the ball/socket thigh/hip joint so he can ride a bike AND stand off of it?

Now that would be impressive...  Not that this clone isn't, but FG had the same idea I did that it's indeed not a "perfect" figure still, and that extra ball joint at the hips would go a LONG way on this guy as well as almost any other figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2003, 10:23 AM »
I really hope Hasbro either starts shipping these in solid cases or offers the 4-packs like we got with the CT Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, RFT's, etc.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2003, 10:57 AM »
As much as I love this figure I am wondering how practical it would be to introduce this to the human characters w/out armor

The armor hides the joints perfectly and the execution is wonderful, but how would ball knees and elbows look on Luke or Han.  Shoulders and ankles work pretty well...curious

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2003, 11:05 AM »
Bespin Luke looks pretty good, no?

I really think it depends on the skill of the sculptor. Also, I don't think it would work on figures like Slave Leia, where there's no folds in clothes to hide the articulation. It would work on Vader though...oh yes...it would...  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2003, 11:21 AM »
Yeah you're right Ed, forgot about him.  I agree that the clothing makes or breaks the figure and how well the joint can be hid.  These Clonies are perfect (as are all Imperial Troops)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2003, 11:21 AM »
It would work on Vader though...oh yes...it would...

That is a really good idea LtS....I hope this type of figure (SA Clone) is explored more in the future.  The articulation could obviously be used on Biker Scouts, Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, etc.  I think a super articulated Vader is a version none of us would turn down.  It would be nice to see if it could be used on "human" figures like Luke and Han....it probably depends on the "outfit" they are in.  Good call with the Vader though.:)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2003, 11:52 AM »
You're absolutely right, Mosnab. And after Hasbro created SA Stormies, Scouts, Imperial Guards (with soft goods robes), Sandtroopers, RFTs, Hoth Soldiers, Endor Commandos, Snowtroopers, etc, they could just ship them until the end of time. Hell, they could ship solid cases of SA army builders.

In my opinion, there should always be good guys and bad guys on the pegs.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2003, 12:13 PM »
I agree LandotheScoundrel, I really think going towards this Clone-style of figure is a step towards the "ultimate" versions of characters we've always talked about wanting Hasbro to put out.  I guess we probably said the same thing during vintage times, then during POTF2 times, but I really don't see a whole heck of a lot further they can come in the sculpting area in this scale...at least in the next 5 years or so.  But, maybe I'm wrong and it can get much better.  Heck, I think these newer figures (as well as the POTJ line) were worlds better than most of POTF2, and those were better than vintage in many regards.  Let's hope this is the first step to making the "ultimate", articulated, sculpted, neutral, no action-featured versions of our favorite characters :).  If they did that, they could re-release and repackage without as much of an outcry I would think....if they were figures like this clone, that basically made everyone happy :).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 12:14 PM by mosnab »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2003, 04:00 PM »
I'd personally give up some aesthetics for poseability.  But still, I think ball/socket joints can look decent on figures who aren't armor clad.

Screen Scene Mace looks ok to me, Bespin Luke's ball/socket joints as mentioned above, etc...  

The Rebel Fleet Trooper's bulky pants would hide a knee joint well I think, and his vest would covera shoulder joint fairly well enough I believe...  Not when it's taken off, but really how many people have their RFT's without vests on?  

On the necks of non-armored figures I'd take the regular swivel joint if it was that big a deal to everyone even, just so long as the figure(s) had all the other articulation (and maybe even a little extra like ball/socket hips even for some figures).

To me, looks are important but some looks should definitely be given up in place of a poseable figure.  Toys are to be more fun than "perfect" in looks I think.  I know I have more fun with something I can pose like those super articulated clones than I do with something that just sits there like Barriss Offee or the clone 3-packs.

I think though, that Hasbro's proven they're capable of both looks and outstanding articulation at all points, they simply don't put that effort forward.  So maybe we'll see more super articulated figures in the near future that show Hasbro's best efforts?  

At least maybe in the army builder, and possibly Jedi areas?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2003, 08:42 PM »
I am now up to six Clonetroopers!!  ;D

Nice images!
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2003, 09:17 PM »
but FG had the same idea I did that it's indeed not a "perfect" figure still, and that extra ball joint at the hips would go a LONG way on this guy as well as almost any other figure.

Exactly.  It would've been nice to have seen an inner thigh ball-socket joint with this latest CT fig.  Still, it is a great figure.  Hasbro has finally realized that loads of articulation on an army builder is a good thing.  It's a shame that it's not a standard.      
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2003, 11:47 PM »
I ordered a few of these Clones but have already run into scores of them at retail.  I have about 20 of them now.  What a fantastic figure, they look so damn realistic.  I think the Seperatists are about to get their asses stomped. ;)

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2003, 03:36 PM »
I have 9 and 9 is enough, my clone army is close to 40 I'd guess between all of the different versions and I can't display anymore than that.  Great figure all around, hope everyone else finds some and I'll keep my eyes opened

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2003, 03:50 PM »
All so lucky,still at two,just missed at butt load at Target though!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2003, 10:34 AM »
I ordered a few of these Clones but have already run into scores of them at retail.  I have about 20 of them now.  What a fantastic figure, they look so damn realistic.  I think the Seperatists are about to get their asses stomped. ;)

:P

Daaaaaaaamn!  :o

I've been ordering mine from online sources (ohmygod, classifieds). I'm hoping to run into a nice cache of these sometime soon.