Author Topic: What's spinning?  (Read 267119 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: What's spinning?
« Reply #735 on: August 2, 2005, 04:46 PM »
The Phantom of the Opera (original cast recording),

You mean the actual Broadway one? That's waaaay better than that crap on the motion picture soundtrack. I went to the movie with my wife and friend and they were raving about how good the singing was. I about pucked. It was horrid. They couldn't hit the notes half the time and the Phantom sounded like a wimp, instead of this terrifying thing!! So if anyone wants to by the movie soundtrack, be a friend and intervene and suggest the broadway soundtrack.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #736 on: August 2, 2005, 04:52 PM »
Santana -- Greatest Hits

« Last Edit: August 3, 2005, 12:19 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 2, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Metallica - Master of Puppets.

Dare I say, the best in the Metallica catalogue.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #738 on: August 2, 2005, 11:42 PM »
^^ True that. MOP and Ride the Lightning are an excellent 1-2 punch from Metallica.

I think I'll spin one of their discs now. It's been a good long time since I dug on 'Tallica.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #739 on: August 3, 2005, 12:14 AM »

Probably best known as the band behind "I Just Want To Celebrate".
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 3, 2005, 09:10 PM »

Man, did Metallica not have some of the greatest cover art of all time?

I'm digging on 'One' right now.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 3, 2005, 10:59 PM »

You mean the actual Broadway one? That's waaaay better than that crap on the motion picture soundtrack. I went to the movie with my wife and friend and they were raving about how good the singing was. I about pucked. It was horrid. They couldn't hit the notes half the time and the Phantom sounded like a wimp, instead of this terrifying thing!! So if anyone wants to by the movie soundtrack, be a friend and intervene and suggest the broadway soundtrack.

Absolutley! I cannot stand the movie (Joel Schumacher should be hung), and I'm really sad to report that Broadway is actually a lot worse.  :'( Its sad to see such a venerable peice go to waste. To me the only real Phantom is Micheal Crawford...but hey, I'm just sayin'.
I'm actually going to see the touring company at the end of this month in Atlanta, do you know if they're any better than the Broadway cast (there's your real terror, the middle aged Christine)?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #742 on: August 3, 2005, 11:08 PM »

I am on a permanent boycott of Metallica.  I refuse to listen to a band that would sue their own fans!  >:(
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 4, 2005, 12:19 AM »
Hey, it's nothing to worry about anymore. If they continue putting out sonic vomit like St. Anger, they won't have to worry about piracy anymore.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 4, 2005, 01:45 AM »

http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #745 on: August 4, 2005, 02:53 AM »

I am on a permanent boycott of Metallica.  I refuse to listen to a band that would sue their own fans!  >:(

Hey, it's nothing to worry about anymore. If they continue putting out sonic vomit like St. Anger, they won't have to worry about piracy anymore.

Kinda OT from the thread in general, but I thought I'd add something interesting I've recently heard in regards to Metallica and the whole piracy thing.

Lars apparently did an interview recently where he indicates the band was pushed into the whole shutting down Napster situation. I don't remember the actual quote, but he said something to the fact that they were told about the demo for "I, Disappear" being played on the radio while they were still in the studio working on it and being told to go out there and stop it. He doesn't state who would tell them to go and stop it and it sounded more like backtracking from all the negative publicity the band got from it. It's funny though, that they went after Napster because the demo being made available alerted them to the problem, but we've never heard if they ever bothered to go after the source of the demo leak, i.e. whomever was working in their studio. Personally, I feel they're hypocritical SOBs for what they did, especially since the same concept of sharing music between different peoples, i.e. tape-trading, is what got them noticed by a large number of people.

Ironically, in the recent Stuff magazine, Metallica suing  fans who were using Napster was ranked #17 in a list of Top Career Killing moves.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 4, 2005, 11:47 AM »
Post-Metallica (after the Black album and sans Jason) can kiss my ass. 

They suck **** now because of all their big time "problems" - anyone see the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary??

Listened to my fav band this morning on the way to work - NIN - The Fragile.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 4, 2005, 12:45 PM »

Absolutley! I cannot stand the movie (Joel Schumacher should be hung), and I'm really sad to report that Broadway is actually a lot worse.  :'( Its sad to see such a venerable peice go to waste. To me the only real Phantom is Micheal Crawford...but hey, I'm just sayin'.
I'm actually going to see the touring company at the end of this month in Atlanta, do you know if they're any better than the Broadway cast (there's your real terror, the middle aged Christine)?

Actually, I don't know. Haven't had the chance to catch it lately.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 4, 2005, 01:22 PM »

Not only does this piss me off, but also because that jackoff Bob Rock has put a stake in there careers and tarnished them forever.  That last album blew donkey balls and I expect nothing less from the next one if he is behind them again.  Telling Metallica to eliminate all guitar solos for a new direction? WTF?  Obviously Rock did not get the memo that Guitar solos help sell good music.  Thats my biggest beef with most of the rock world today.  Guitar solos have dried up and become a thing of the past.  Thank God for groups like Maiden for never selling out.  Heres to you Bob Rock

Back to our regularly scheduled program.  Heres my pick of the week.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #749 on: August 4, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Today's musical treat...

"Whiskey, you're the devil!"
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender