Author Topic: What's spinning?  (Read 265730 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: What's spinning?
« Reply #1620 on: September 3, 2008, 02:01 AM »

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: September 3, 2008, 03:12 PM »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1622 on: September 8, 2008, 01:49 AM »
I've been listening to a few of the tracks from Metallica's new album from this link. It's really good.  :o
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: September 8, 2008, 03:59 PM »
It's really good.  :o

Agreed. I can't wait for friday, I plan to pick the album up after work and get right to listening to it.

In addition to the new Death Magnetic tracks, I've been spinning this...

Saw these guys open at the Priest concert back in August, they put on a great show. I wasn't familiar with any of their back catalogue, so I picked up their newest album, The Formation Of Damnation.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: September 8, 2008, 04:32 PM »
I've been listening to a few of the tracks from Metallica's new album from this link. It's really good.  :o

I've always been a fan up until Load/Reload.  Kind of gave up to them until St. Anger which wasn't the greatest.  Heard a few samples of the new stuff and they seemed to have dipped into Justice a tiny bit which is nice.  Looking forward to picking this up.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: September 8, 2008, 09:04 PM »

Regarding the new Metallica album.  I was fortuneate enough to get a copy a few weeks back.  I would say that about 1/2 the songs have that old school feel, sounding alot like the "Justice for All" album.  Another quarter of the songs sound alot like the Load and Reload albums.  And another quarter seem to be Metallica trying a few new things.  Its a solid CD with most songs in the 6-8 minute range and plenty of guitar and guitar solos.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2008, 09:06 PM by Jim »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: September 9, 2008, 12:21 AM »

I've always been a fan up until Load/Reload.  Kind of gave up to them until St. Anger which wasn't the greatest.  Heard a few samples of the new stuff and they seemed to have dipped into Justice a tiny bit which is nice.  Looking forward to picking this up.

I think there's a few gems on the Load/Reload albums, specifically The Outlaw Torn, Low Man's Lyric, and Bleeding Me, but I too had no time for St. Anger. Death Magnetic is sounding great to me. I think Rick Rubin has saved Metallica.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: September 12, 2008, 06:32 PM »

Picked up my copy of Death Magnetic at Best Buy today.  ;D I have yet to listen, but I'll post my thoughts later...

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #1628 on: September 13, 2008, 12:05 AM »
I like what I'm hearing about the new Metallica.  AJFA is easily my favorite Metallica album and one of my favorites of all time *period*.  I picked it up this morning but have yet to listen to it.

As far as what I'm listening to, I can't get enough of Mudvayne's L.D. 50.  Probably the most played album on my iPod over the last four months.

John

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: September 13, 2008, 12:47 AM »
Death Magnetic is great. I already put it on my mp3 player in its entirety.

Early faves: The Day That Never Comes, That Was Just Your Life, and the suprising Unforgiven III.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: September 13, 2008, 08:31 AM »
Early faves: The Day That Never Comes, That Was Just Your Life, and the suprising Unforgiven III.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I think they need to let the Unforgiven be forgiven.   ::)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: September 13, 2008, 12:51 PM »
Well, I finished listening to Death Magnetic my first time around last night. I'd have to say, it exceed my expectations. While there are some songs that sound like the Load/ReLoad era (Cyanide, Unforgiven III), most of the other songs are full on classic Metalli-thrash. My favorite tracks are That Was Just Your Life, Day That Never Comes, All Nightmare Long, and the Battery/Damage Inc. esque My Apocalypse. Overall, I think this album is worthy standing up alongside Kill 'Em All, MOP, and RTL in any metalheads collection.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1632 on: September 13, 2008, 02:08 PM »
I haven't picked it up yet, but I think they need to let the Unforgiven be forgiven.   ::)

Or the "Unforgotten," no?

As for me, I've been listening to a lot of Rock-afire Explosion lately.  They do a bitchin' cover of Arcade Fire's "Tunnels."
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: September 14, 2008, 04:40 PM »
Rock-afire's entered a really interesting phase of their career.  Looney Bird's drug problems seem to be as bad as ever (regularly huffing petroleum products), but it's allowed both he and Dook LaRue to come up with some of the most experimental and mind-blowing music I've ever heard.  And Mitzi Mozzarella's voice is as good as ever, which is a claim a lot of classic female vocalists can't make.

But don't take my word for it.  See (and hear) for yourself.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: September 14, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Death Magnetic......Nice throwback to Justice.  Half the album was really great - the other half was all Load/Reload crap that I could care less about.

C+...........I sped threw many of the latter tracks which is something I've NEVER done on a Metallica album the first go around.  Oh well, maybe next time they'll get it right?  Bah..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 06:23 PM by iFett »