Author Topic: What's spinning?  (Read 268180 times)

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
Re: What's spinning?
« Reply #525 on: October 16, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Ladytron, Melotron, Blutengel, Revolver1010...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #526 on: October 16, 2004, 10:33 PM »
Trying out the Killers.  Waiting for U2!   ;D

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #527 on: October 18, 2004, 09:25 PM »
Pearl Jam's cover of Johnny Cash's '25 Minutes to Go' from the Benaroya Hall boot.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 19, 2004, 10:37 PM »

If you even like JEW a little bit, please check this CD out, I listened to it at least 5 times at work today. Fantastic stuff!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #529 on: October 22, 2004, 12:39 AM »
Is Audioslave still together?  Haven't heard anything about them for a while

Listened to The Revolvers (Is that what we're calling them, The Revolvers?) Today a couple of times for the first time in a while.  Its some good stuff...but then I put in UYI I and the Best of STP and was sad, because I'd rather have two kick ass bands instead of 1 :'(

AND, I believe its safe to say Chinese Democracy will be postponed until 2005...Yay :)

AND...fans of Soul Asylum should check this out...sounds like I would have really dug that, I would have went by myself to see that gig with Westerberg, SA and the Gear Daddies, damn

Any number of Soul Asylum song titles could have described Thursday's Rock for Karl concert at the Quest in Minneapolis, which benefited the band's cancer-survivor bassist, Karl Mueller.

"Sometime to Return" fit the show's reunionlike vibe. "Runaway Train" summed up some of the musical free-for-alls on stage. Best of all, "Never Really Been" fit the unprecedented lineup of Twin Cities rock luminaries.

Performers at the sold-out fundraiser included Paul Westerberg and Bob Mould -- formerly of the Replacements and Hüsker Dü, respectively -- plus the reunited Gear Daddies, a makeshift lineup of the all-star group Golden Smog and the ever-resilient Soul Asylum.

All part of the celebrated local rock scene of the 1980s and early '90s, the musicians all practiced garage-band values such as inspiration over perfection and independence over money. But they rarely practiced them together on stage.

Soul AsylumJeff WheelerStar Tribune"We've all been friends, but for whatever reasons we rarely shared bills together," said Soul Asylum guitarist Dan Murphy, who has played with Mueller since they were teenagers. "It turned into the mother of all benefits, and couldn't have happened for a better guy."

Mueller, 41, hasn't been able to work since April because of a battle with throat cancer (now in remission) that left him and his wife with medical debt.

"It's overwhelming so many of them wanted to help, especially since some of them came into town for it," he said before the show.

Mould flew in from Washington, D.C., where he now lives, and Westerberg had just returned from playing his first London gig in 11 years on Tuesday.

Holding the event at the Quest was a little like having a Red Sox parade in Times Square (the Quest competes with First Avenue nightclub, where all of these acts got their start).

Still, the point was to raise some money, and it did so successfully. The 1,500 or so tickets sold out in a half-hour at $30 to $60 apiece, and pricey memorabilia was auctioned off on top of that, including guitars autographed by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and R.E.M.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #530 on: October 23, 2004, 03:39 AM »
Is Audioslave still together?  Haven't heard anything about them for a while

I heard recently they were in the studio working on their 2nd album. I thought the first one was pretty good, Chris Cornell sounds as if he has the enthusiasm back, I felt he kinda lost that near the end of Soundgarden. And the rest of the band sure sounds a whole hell of a lot better without all that pseudo rap **** that they tried with their old lead singer in RATM.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 23, 2004, 11:56 AM »
I read a line somewhere that Audioslave was 'surprised' by their 'adventurous' new material.

I loved the first album, and can't wait for the second. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 09:51 PM by Hasbro's Missing Integrity »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 25, 2004, 06:20 PM »

What a ******* loss, man.

This album is so, so, so good.  I've dug all of his prior stuff (Figure 8...not so much), but this final, and unfortunately, posthumous release is absolutely brilliant.

Perhaps deliberately, perhaps ironically, the album provides a retrospective, with tunes spanning the gamut of his careers with indie-rockers Heatmiser and as a more introspective solo artist.

A fitting capstone for an unnecessarily abrupt career.

R.I.P. Elliott....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 06:21 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 3, 2004, 04:04 AM »
... been taking in some 'o' this:

Barbara Pittman's "I Need a Man" is a stand-out, and so's "Rock 'n' Roll Cinnamon Tree" by Maggie Sue Wimberly! Actually, the whole record's pretty great.

It's 2:23-- Time to step it up:

« Last Edit: November 3, 2004, 04:25 AM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #534 on: November 5, 2004, 01:27 PM »
The latest addition to my iPod?

The Episode 3 Trailer.

;D

With iTunes 4.7, it's easier than ever to transfer .mov QuickTime files to iPod files so now the trailer lives on my iPod where I can hear "Lord Vader.... Yes My Master.. Rise" whenever and where ever I want.

:)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 9, 2004, 09:09 PM »
I was walking through Best Buy on Saturday when I saw this album:

So, being raised on metal, I picked it up, and have been listening to it non-stop. This is Megadeth around the 'Rust In Peace' and 'Countdown to Extinction' era.

I hope they tour for this album, since Megadeth is one of the bands I want to see before they or I die.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2004, 12:44 PM »
Listening to the single Encore/Numb

Waiting for the full album to come out on the 30th.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2004, 10:35 PM »
Thought I'd throw out what I'm digging right now as a sort of Top 10 current songs getting play on the radio....

1.) Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine
2.) Megadeth - Die Dead Enough
3.) Lamb Of God - Laid to Rest
4.) Killswitch Engage - The End of The Heartache
5.) Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Alive
6.) Tesla - Now
7.) Velvet Revolver - Dirty Little Thing
8.) Shadows Fall - What Drives the Weak
9.) Godsmack - Touche
10.) Damageplan - Pride
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 11, 2004, 09:13 PM »
Stuff in my stereo (still a firm believer in the art form of the album)--

Megadeth-- Go To Hell, Paranoid
Pearl Jam-- Fatal
Miles Davis- The Birth of the Cool album

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 11, 2004, 09:36 PM »
Ok here's an odd request I threw it in here cause I didn't think it necessary to start to a new thread on it.

Are there any Dream Theater fans out there? And if so do you know of a good place to get concert recordings? I'm looking for a show I went to in 2002 here in Chicago when they played in it's entirety the Master of Puppets album. I have the Barcelona show where they first did MoP, but I've love to have the Chicago show too.

Any help would be great, thanks!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin