Author Topic: Asajj Ventress... head on a stick  (Read 2920 times)

SilverZ

Asajj Ventress... head on a stick
« on: October 31, 2003, 11:15 PM »
Ok, now that I can't complain about action features I'm turning my sights to something that seems to be more and more common on new figures in the last wave or so - the head on a ball socket. It looks like Saga Padme Tatooine, CW Mace, and CW Asajj Ventress all use it... to the detriment of the figure.

I just cracked open Asajj tonight, and the figure is wonderfully well-done, even for EU, which I normally stay away from. Except for the head! The neck of the figure is a stationary part of the torso plastic, terminating in a ball at the end. The head pops onto the ball, allowing it to move up, down, left, right, and anything in between. That's great articulation, and I know, I know, we all scream for more articulation, but OH GOD, does it make human heads look terrible. In exchange for movement, Asajj (and from what I've can tell, the others, too) gets a spindly thin neck, a jawline so profound that when viewed in perspective it looks like a skull, and, from behind, well... it's pretty ugly.

I hope this doesn't become a trend moving into '04. I think its a great idea for non-human and helmeted characters, where anatomy isn't a factor in the success of the figure (Vader, Stormies, Fett would all make sense), but I'd much rather have a standard swivel neck on humans and sacrfice movement so they look better.

Random observation for the night.

J

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Re: Asajj Ventress... head on a stick
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2003, 09:10 AM »
Yes I noticed this too when I opened up my Asajj and Mace.
The first thing I thought was "OH GOD THAT SUCKS"

This is one way for Hasbro to allow a head packin with figures. You know, a head and then a helmet.

As you said I'd much rather have a standard swivel neck on humans and sacrfice movement so they look better.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2003, 11:19 AM »
2 thoughts:

1.  It worked great on Shu Mai.

2.  After reading your thread title, I'll never think of Lord of the Flies the same way again.

:D
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2003, 12:50 AM »
 :D   LOL Dressel

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2003, 06:12 PM »
Well, if Hasbro's going to start doing this, I've got to say that the best idea in the world would be to do this with some of the figures that they've done intentional head variations on, like the Endor Trooper, RFT, IO, etc.

But instead of making us buy two seperate figures, just put BOTH heads into the same carded blister, and let us do the head swapping ourselves!  One head already on the figure of course, and another packed in as an "accessory".  How awesome would that be?

God, I'm brilliant.   :P

I do think this feature works/looks better with the non-human characters though, since there's not such a noticeable jaw line like there is with the upcoming Padme figure with this feature.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2003, 08:53 PM »
Well, if Hasbro's going to start doing this, I've got to say that the best idea in the world would be to do this with some of the figures that they've done intentional head variations on, like the Endor Trooper, RFT, IO, etc.

But instead of making us buy two seperate figures, just put BOTH heads into the same carded blister, and let us do the head swapping ourselves!  One head already on the figure of course, and another packed in as an "accessory".  How awesome would that be?

God, I'm brilliant.   :P

But we'd still need another body for the other head, otherwise the whole army building purpose would be sorta shot to hell if you've got one trooper with a beard and another trooper without his body  ;)

I tell ya, I wish Hasbro would release tons of head variants for each kind of trooper, and like, DRAMATIC head variants, not RFT style.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda