Author Topic: Hoth Wave  (Read 13352 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Hoth Wave
« on: October 30, 2003, 06:13 PM »
Well, here he is...

And I have to say I'm pretty disappointed...  This isn't much of an army builder given what Hasbro's completely capable of at this stage of the game.

-The rifle, obviously, will be a gummy plastic and bent much like the Endor soldier's rifles....  

-The torso may very well be a reused POTF2 body judging by how broad shouldered it appears...  Not a sharp looking job there if it's a new sculpt.  

-The headsculpt's mediocre...  It's a generic rebel trooper with his goggles up which is nice in a way, but it's not the swiftest looking sculpt either.  

-The bowed legs are a big let down for any army builder...  If you're not going to articulate them, at least don't make them spread apart like that.  Not to mention they appear to be very awkwardly unproportionate just as the POTF2 figure's were (Too skinny, etc...)

-And the final, and to me the most disappointing aspect of this figure, is the articulation...  A basic 6 point figure?  Sheesh...  :(  Why no arm articulation to hold his blaster rifle properly?  

This guy's really nothing special right now...  his only redeeming feature is the skirt piece with a holster (Which MAY be functional).  If that's the case, that's good, but right now there's too much "bad" circling this figure than good.

A nice posable army builder is what we should've gotten for this, a figure who desperately needed resculpting from the POTF2 days.  Much like the Snowtrooper, I think the Hoth Rebel Soldier still is in need of yet another resculpt, even after this Saga figure...  Nice poseable versions of both army builders would be very welcome to me, and I'm sure many other collectors.

Unfortunately, this is a dark spot on the recent photos we got from Hasbro that were pretty sharp.  It was expected with this figure for me, but I really am disappointed that this one got the shaft from Hasbro...  I know I'd have bought a ton of this figure if it were worth it...  Now I'll just nab the "one" for my collection I guess.  :(  

A truly wasted opportunity I think, on Hasbro's part.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 10:18 AM by OCB »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

Re: New Hoth Rebel... :(
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 06:48 PM »
Well Jesse, I have to agree, even though I DO feel he's an improvement on the POTF2 version. The skirt piece and the better sculpting detail on the head pieces, when you figure in my absolute loathing of the original carded and deluxe versions, makes it passable to me. He'll fit in the background but he won't be an army builder for me.

By no means is it the leaps and bounds it SHOULD be. When put side by side to the new Hoth Luke and Riekeen, I'm betting it doesn't even come close to their quality. It stinks of an afterthought, kit-bashed figure ala the lower points of POTJ, made to fill out the new theme-based wave idea. His pose is also eerily similar to the POTF2's. Those are some macho action stanced legs there.  :)

I'm also increasingly bummed out by the apparent adandonment of the themed bases on most incidental characters. I want my troopers with snow bases, dammit!

J

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 07:58 PM »
Wow, I can't believe he's already out!  It definitely an improvement, but the body itself is exactly the same sculpt as the POTF2 version.  I really wish they would have made an army-building type of figure, but it'll take more than one try to get it right I guess.

What a disappointment, but since I'm a sucker I'm sure I'll end up buying it.
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 10:32 PM »
Oh I agree with that indeed.  The skirtpiece and headsculpt are a little addition that make it a LITTLE better than the POTF2 figures (Though I rather liked the Deluxe Hoth Rebel for what it was at the time), but the severe lack of articulation on this figure is pretty bogus.

I mean, how much action did we see outta those Rebel Echo Base troops?  Tons, and that just ruins this figure that he can't be posed in tons of action poses.  Army builders deserve that extra umph to make them fun to buy tons of.  This figure just got the shaft from Hasbro it seems. :(  

I like the comment that it seems almost like it was an afterthought figure...  Or possibly was created a LONG time ago, possibly when we first saw this and the Snowtrooper show up on lists a couple years ago?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2003, 06:54 PM »
I'm sure I'll still buy 1 or 2, but if this were fully articulated able to hold the rifle with 2 hands, and maybe with a couple different head sculpts I'd have bought close to 15 of these.  We need something good for the AT-ATs to mow down, right?  Even so, he's a little better than the POTF2 trooper, but not by much at all.  At least he's beardless and a little more generic with a nifty little skirt.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 2, 2003, 10:07 AM »
I'll reserve my judgements of this figure until I have a hardcopy in hand.  It seems premature, in my opinion, to critique a figure that nobody has in hand at this time.  Photos can only tell you so much.

I've seen the figure in Chicago first hand, and the sculpt looks pretty good.  It looks like a decent step forward from the POTF2 version.  I wasn't able to see what points of articulation there were, but Hasbro has done a fairly decent job of camoflaging those points in recent years.  

One interesting sidenote:  the face of this Hoth Rebel Trooper appears to be slightly similar to that of a Hasbro design team member.  This seems to be something of a trend/inside joke that's been going on.  The first time was with both of the SAGA Endor Rebel Soldiers.  Both of them resemble two members of the Hasbro-Star Wars team.  A more recent instance is the human Jedi in the Clone Wars 3-pack who resembles a long time designer at Hasbro.  Now, this one resembles one of the panelists who gave part of the Star Wars roundtable discussion at Wizard World in Chicago.  It's kind of funny, because if you've ever met these guys you'd see the resemblance pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2003, 03:41 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2003, 01:26 PM »
I like it, and I want to see a new AT-AT to mow these guys down. Of course, I could just use the two I have, I guess.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 2, 2003, 01:29 PM »
Yeah, but wouldn't you like to have all 5 AT-AT's?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Hoth Wave (Hoth Luke, R-3PO, Achk Med Beq, Dignitary #2, Soldier)
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2003, 12:18 AM »
Are up over at GH

Hoth Han

Achk Med-Beq

R-3PO

Luke Hoth

Dignitary #2
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 10:12 AM by OCB »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Brown Coat Han, Hoth Luke, R-3PO, Achk Med Beq, Dignitary #2 Carded
« Reply #9 on: November 4, 2003, 12:38 AM »

TC-6 from TPM...

R-3PO???

At least they got the detailing right

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: November 4, 2003, 12:48 AM »
Funny bit of Photoshop on R3.  These all look good.  Ack Med looks like he has a black eye?  Didn't notice it before.  Luke looks fantastic.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: November 4, 2003, 01:52 AM »
That Red protocol droid is indeed at Hoth...  :)  Check the hangar scenes.

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 4, 2003, 02:33 AM »
That Red protocol droid is indeed at Hoth...  :)  Check the hangar scenes.

Indeed it is. But the droid is a photo-chopped TC-6, not R-3PO. R-3PO doesn't have the silver highlights if memory serves me right.  ;)

The figures look good. I can't wait to get them.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: November 4, 2003, 10:15 AM »
As soon as I saw that Brown-coated Han, I knew you'd be bursting at the seams, Scott!  :D

Looks like I'll have to buy 2 R-3POs. Or maybe as many as I can find. These are some great figures!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: November 4, 2003, 10:22 AM »
Oh...I know R-3PO is there but I guess it would have made more sense to me to call this TC-6 and given us something else for the Hoth wave...Echo Base Trooper and Major Bren Derlin or Torryn Farr or or or...

And I like the Han, the coat is a tad too light on the brown side but it works for me!

I need to get Jesse and Josh to autograph the ad for me and I was going to make a display of it somehow