Author Topic: Hall of Fame assortment  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Hall of Fame assortment
« on: November 5, 2003, 05:48 PM »
No one's talked much about the recently announced Hall of Fame assortment here from what I've seen.  Just curious what people's thoughts on it were.  Here's the current listing for this assortment from Entertainment Earth:

Star Wars 3 3/4 inch Hall of Fame action figure assortment. This assortment features previously released figures with all-new packaging. Contains 12 individually packaged figures: 1x HOF Chewbacca Mechanic (NEW), 1x HOF R2-D2 (NEW), 1x HOF C-3P0 (NEW), 1x HOF Obi-Wan, Coruscant (NEW), 1x HOF Anakin Skywalker Hangar Duel (NEW), 1x HOF Stormtrooper (NEW), 1x HOF Yoda (NEW), 1x HOF Darth Maul, Theed Hangar Duel (NEW), 1x HOF Princess Leia, Imperial Captive (NEW), 1x HOF Hans Solo, Flight To Alderaan (NEW), 1x HOF Luke Skywalker (NEW), 1x HOF Darth Vader Throne Room (NEW) (subject to change).

I understand Hasbro's need to do this, that being keeping the main characters fresh on the pegs for the supposed kiddies that are buying the line (yeah right).  But if these cases are released in any decent sized quantity, I'd imagine 10 of the 12 becoming big time pegwarmers once the carded completists have had their fill.  Other than those folks, will anyone actually be buying these things?

I'd guess that if the Stormtrooper and R2 turn out to be the HTF Commtech versions, that they'll be in pretty high demand, but other than that, I don't see much else moving.  The only other three figures not specifically identified above are 3PO, Yoda, and Luke.  If the C-3PO turns out to be the Millenium Minted Coin version, which I still say is by far the best of the bunch, then that would be cool.  Yoda?  No idea.  I'm guessing the Flashback version, though there haven't really been any good OT versions of him in the modern line.  Maybe the vintage version?   :P  As for Luke, Hasbro loves the Tattooine outfit, so I'd imagine it'd be the Floppy Hat or T-16 figure.  Maybe they'll surprise us with the Bespin one though.

What bothers me is that it would appear that this assortment has already begun, with the recent Han and Leia figures on the new gold bar cards, which are the same exact figures that will be shipping in the HOF assortment, for the THIRD time no less.  Same might hold true for the C-3PO if they pick the TA version.  At least re-release a figure that wasn't just re-released several months earlier.  Absolutely moronic.

Maybe Hasbro could put together an Unsung Hero assortment, of the figures that really should be re-released, like Ephant Mon, Motti, the tail end of the Ep. 1 line, etc.  If rereleased in limited quantities, I think those would do much better personally.

What I was really hoping for when I first saw the HOF news, was for the "definitive" figures for each character to finally get made, like some people on this board have talked about a while back.  Now that would've been cool!   :-\

So what do you guys think of this HOF assortment?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Hall of Fame assortment
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2003, 06:23 PM »
I think it's a good idea.   The core characters will always be popular with kids and impulse buyers, and it's a chance for some who missed these figs before to catch up.  Some of them aren't great choices (Anakin HD and Obi Wan Coruscant).  And by making this a separate assortment, Hasbro may be making this available to retailers all year, especially for next fall, when the classic characters might be most in demand.   :)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2003, 09:00 PM »
Personally I'm sick to death of main characters.  They're rarely done right the first, or even second time.  There's just too much of them.  Admittedly, I'm biased.  I'm more into Star Wars for the armies and the battles.  Oftentimes when they release main characters in this outfit and that outfit I just skip some of them.  I NEVER let an army builder go though.  HOF assortment?  Pass.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2003, 09:16 PM »
Blah.

It's not like anyone missed out on these figures the first time around, with the possible exception of a Commtech Stormie and R2, which would be make for good choices as re-issues.  Forget the rest though.  There's very few kids buying the line nowadays, despite what Hasbro keeps telling us.  That just leaves the carded completists to mop up another Hasbro mess.  But of course, I'll be happy to oblige.  Kinda...   :-\

That other idea of Grant's is far better though - the HOF series being 'Definitive' figures like Jesse, John, and I have talked incessantly about over the past year or two.

Now a Hall of Fame series like that would be HUGELY popular.  Maybe someday, after the current line has run it's course...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2003, 10:33 PM »
Yeah, i'd pay $10 for a figure with 14+ points of articulation (With heavy use of the ball/socket joint) and TONS of accessories (or even interchangeable limbs/hands/heads where warranted) on figures.

Reissuing Commtech Han over and over just don't cut it though...

:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2003, 11:05 PM »
This line scares the crap out of me.  

Canada is, for the most part, a dead zone for Star Wars these days.  But I could easily see retailers being sold a line about a HOF line that is "all but guaranteed to sell through".  Not bloody likely.  

Like everyone else, I'd snag the stormie if I saw it, possibly one or two others but PUHLEASE, Chewie mechanic sat on the pegs until last year and I bet if I checked every place in Winnipeg I could STILL find one.  The points about re-releasling (relabeling?) recently released figs (Han, Leia) are completely  valid.  

I am terrified by this one.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2003, 12:29 AM »
A definitive HOF series... count me in BIG TIME.   ;D

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2003, 09:39 AM »
I am a bit torn about the idea of the HOF series. I love the idea of a 12-different figure casepack, it's the sort of thing I've been insistent about (come fall every year, Hasbro should bundle the year's offerings into a couple 12 figure cases and sell through till Christmas. It would work.) Here the idea is hindered by the fact that none of these figures were ever hard to find. Commtech Stormies can still be bought by the four-pack at the old Fan Club Website, and the Wizards mall stores blew them out for  insanely cheap prices. I'm betting the R2 will be the initial SAGA version (EFX Rehash).

At retail, it's a double edged sword also. This is the perfect case for Hasbro to sell to a drug store/grocery store chain with no space. I'm sure these figures will sell in those places--imagine two pegs filled with the variety of this case.

I just fear WalMart, Target, and TRU placing orders for these in lieu of genuine new figures, and the glut that would follow.

Will I buy them? No.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2003, 09:55 AM »
I'm kind of worried about this assortment as well.  I'm totally on board with those who have mentioned the true "hall of fame" assortment...all new, as perfect as they can be versions of these characters would be very, very welcome by me, and I'd buy each and every one.  But, some of these re-releases don't make sense.  If it truly is the Commtech Han and the "new likeness" Leia again, when they are already re-released now...that doesn't make sense to me.  At least release something like the Bespin Capture Han from POTJ, or maybe the Commtech Leia, or something different like that.  I really wish Hasbro would do an ultimate assortment and go all out on the main characters, make the definitive versions of them in their "popular" outfits...but I have the feeling we'll at least have to wait until the movies are all said and done before we get those.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2003, 10:09 AM »
Well I want the new stuff and not reissues.  In this case there are 12 reissues?  Yikes allmighty.  Hope they sell because they are also going to have the movie style Clone Wars figures, Animated style Clone Wars figures, a HOF series, and the regular Saga figures.  Maybe they are thinking with the launch of the cartoon that more beginner collectors will be coming?  Or the fact that 2004 will be collector oriented with things like Elom, J'Quille, R1-G4 that they need core characters out there?  Then again they have Luke (Palace), Lando (Skiff Guard) coming.  I don't know we'll see how it goes.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2003, 11:25 AM »
Me myself am not to thrilled with the Han Solo (Flight to Alderran), Darth Maul i am sick of seeing Darth Mauk, Princess Leia (Imperial Captaive), what is up with this crap, why can't they put rare figures in a bunch.  Instead of ugly same re-release rehashes, Hasbro STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They need a Hall Of Fame of all figures hardly anyone has, i think Hasbro needs to do a survey on collectors, to see which figures most of us still need? What do you all think.  I am sick of them re-releasing the same damn figure in every wave.!!!!!!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)