Author Topic: To the staff: Thank you guys for allowing us to use the word "ass".  (Read 16029 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: To the staff: Thank you guys for allowing us to use the word "ass".
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2003, 04:21 PM »
What happened to the notion that if such language wasn't used in the Star Wars films, it shouldn't be allowed in the forums? Or is that just poodoo?
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2003, 04:25 PM »
Do you see this banner

Up yonder????

Didn't think so

Ass is a donkey, Dick is a guy's name,  Piss is urine

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility...Use it wisely or I'll use some agreggsive techniques that you will not like :-*
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 04:25 PM by OCB »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2003, 04:26 PM »
I don't think you guys gave us ***** yet.

But hey...ass.

Sweeet.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 04:32 PM »
Yeah, I think that's pretty much P----- W---'s credo, and his alone.

I like the idea that here, I'm allowed to use a naughty word or two every once in a while, that I've learned in the twenty-three years since I saw Empire in the theatre, at four and a half. . .

On second thought, you know, I think they should ban all of these PG-13 words, and we can just start talking like Fluke Starbucker:

Gosh!  Wow-ee!  Jeepers!  Golly-willikers!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2003, 09:26 PM »
...I was only taking orders.

Oops, did I just say that? Glad to see that everyone enjoys the freedom. :D

It is pretty cool that we have a mature enough audience to allow something like this, see what happens when people are mature and civil? It's great to be a part of it.

Now get your ass out of this thread!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2003, 09:48 PM »
Yeah, I think that's pretty much P----- W---'s credo, and his alone.

Actually, it came from the YakFace forum years ago, long before Rebelscum even had a message board. I know because I'm the one who brought the idea to Philip when it became clear he needed a set of rules. Personally, I think it's a great guideline, especially if you're running an all-ages board populated by fans of a PG-rated franchise and feel the need to cover your ass.
Post sober.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2003, 10:04 PM »
Actually, it came from the YakFace forum years ago, long before Rebelscum even had a message board. I know because I'm the one who brought the idea to Philip when it became clear he needed a set of rules.

Whoops!  My apologies, then.  

Yakface had boards. . .  Who knew?   :-\

Personally, I think it's a great guideline, especially if you're running an all-ages board populated by fans of a PG-rated franchise and feel the need to cover your ass.

Yeah, well, not me.  There's gotta be about a dozen or two other Star Wars-themed boards out there, all with the exact same mindset, that "hey, we might have a nine-year-old participating, don't want to corrupt his fragile little mind!" or "we don't want to be responsible for him getting in trouble", whatever.

Well, that's great for them.  But personally, I'm in my late twenties and I appreciate, for one, the small, little freedom of being able to say "ass" if I want to say "ass, or "bastard" when I want to say "bastard".

This is a tiny, tiny board, and we're all mostly in our mid-20's and 30's, and I think most of us should be able to handle the occasional PG-13-rated words just fine.  And, like I said, if not, there's a plethora of other boards out there which will be happy to turn ass into ***, dick into ****, and bastard into ******* for you. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2003, 10:16 AM »
The Yakface boards were actually really cool. That's where alot of us used to hang out. Me and CHEWIE met over there. It was alot like this place, in that it was civil.

As far as setting down guidelines are concerned, I completely agree that there has to be some limits to what can be said on a board that may have members under the age of 13. However, I think kids can easily hear the word "ass" on the Simpsons, and I don't think there are alot of parents that forbid their children to watch that show. I may be wrong though.

Anywho, I think we're a mature and responsible enough bunch here to not turn the place into a hive of scum and villainy simply because we can now type a word we couldn't type before. We got along fine without it, and I can't see every topic in Jedidefender suddenly becoming centered around ass. Its the freedom to be able to use it that makes us happy. Well, me at least.

Now, for discussion purposes, I'm going to check and see if we can say "cockpit". Cool. 8)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2003, 12:20 PM »
I don't know about this.  I kind of fell like an ass using the word ass.  ARe people going to view me as an ass if I use the word ass?  I don't want to get my ass in trouble just for using the word ass.  It 's not worth my ass you know?  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2003, 04:25 PM »
I agree with MisterPL that it's a good guideline, but I also see Virex's point about there being little to no "adult" SW community where we give a little extra freedom to the word choices of our patrons.

It'd be nice though, if the freedom weren't abused...  That's all I'll say right now.   ;D

I'm sure we will be watching the situation here as it grows though, and make sure it doesn't get outta hand.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2003, 04:29 PM »
Are there any younger members here? And by younger, I mean younger than like 10....of an age where hearing the word **** (read: poop) would warp their fragile little minds? If not....why cater to them?

I mean.....if not, why not turn off the darn filter altogether. After the original novelty of being able to say **** wore off.....it would be nice to be able to express yourself however you wanted without being edited.

Got Clones?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2003, 06:00 PM »
One board that I visit (that some of you might have seen me mention before) is the Home Theater Forum.  It's membership numbers are huge--somewhere around 45,000 members, I believe.  Literally, there will be more members just online there at three in the morning than there are total at this site.  And, just due to the inherent nature of the subject matter, the crowd there is roughly the same age as it is here--a few teenagers, and some members in their forties and fifties.  But mostly, everybody there are in their twenties and thirties, just like here.

What's interesting, is that there's absolutely no language filter.  None.  If I want to go over there and call George Lucas a mofo for not putting "the films" out on DVD, I can, and nobody would blink an eye.  Now, they do have one rule, which is not to use any profanity in a title of a new thread, but other than that, you can pretty much say what you want (as long as it's not a blatant attack toward another member).

Even more interesting, though, is that really, never does anyone abuse it.  In nearly four years of being a member over there, I can't remember a single incident of anyone really freaking out, and cussing up a storm about someone or something.  I think one of the reasons for that, is that the staff there is really vigilant about potential "trouble situations", and I think everybody there realizes that if they freak out on somebody, they're gone.  And I think that's one thing that this site has in common with places like the HTF--that the mods take a pro-active stance, and aren't passive like they are over at R-------m.

And I can understand the concern that some people may have--you let one thing go, what's next?  But I really think that with the right combination of mature members and good moderation, you're not going to see people take advantage of the small freedoms they're allowed to have.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2003, 06:35 PM »
And I can understand the concern that some people may have--you let one thing go, what's next?  But I really think that with the right combination of mature members and good moderation, you're not going to see people take advantage of the small freedoms they're allowed to have.

I absolutely agree.
This place is small enough that if there was no profanity filter (like I said...after the initial novelty wore off) it wouldn't be hard to police. I mean...usually there are less than a couple of dozen new posts a day in "Watto's Junk Yard". Since most people here are mature enough to police themselves, it really doesn't take too much moderation to go through 20 posts and see if anyone posting something inappropriate (and members can help report them too).

Obviously this wouldn't work at RS, but here...it has a decent shot.

I think one of the reasons for that, is that the staff there is really vigilant about potential "trouble situations", and I think everybody there realizes that if they freak out on somebody, they're gone.

Don't I wish I had the power to clean house like that over there. If I did, we'd have 10 or 20 gone right off the bat just for things they've done in the past. Unfortunately you (and I) would probably both be on that list too...so I guess it's good they're not as strict.  :)
Got Clones?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2003, 11:45 PM »
I find it humorous that RebelScum and its staff can always claim how large they are but never, ever solve a problem. I really could care less anymore, the RebelScum forums are one big joke that I am glad I don't really post in anymore. The people running the forum will never get it through their heads. Anyways, no one has heard from me on this issue for a while, but I just thought I'd would put in a few words since Josh could come over and speak his mind. No hard feelings.

To end, I will quote "Unfortunately you (and I) would probably both be on that list too...so I guess it's good they're not as strict."

That is all my friends, good night, and god bless. ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 11:46 PM by Chris Berry »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2003, 04:03 AM »
Chris...hopefully you didn't find anything in my post offensive, as it wasn't meant to be. I was actually complimenting these forums by saying I think the majority of members here are mature enough to handle such a thing as a "filterless" board.  I wasn't saying that as a member of the RS staff or anything.....I was saying it as Josh, the same guy who always comes over here.

The "You and I would be on the list" comment was directed towards Virex...because we've both raised some serious hell over there in our day....and I was saying that regarding really strict moderation style like the home theater forums he was talking about....not RS or JD.

I  also hope you didn't just read the "size" comments and saw the rest of what I wrote. The fact that this site is small is what keeps everyone so friendly. That's why it's cool. That's one of the things I was saying. I wasn't saying "Awww, look at this cute little place" or anything. I hardly feel that way.

Seems like you took the post otherwise, but give it another read and you'll see that my comments were meant as complimentary, and a suggestion that maybe the members here are of a bit higher caliber and able to handle something like what Matt was suggesting.

I actually thought about this topic over here after watching a member of RS go down in flames tonight (circumventing our filters all the way).  It was handeled quickly, but somehow....I don't think that would happen over here in the first place. Again, a testament to this place.

OBVIOUSLY...I like RS a lot, and hang out there more....but that doesn't mean I'm an alien when I come here, right?

Again, all good things. Take it that way from a fellow member of JD, not just as a moderator of "the other guys".  I am both, you know.  ;)

Got Clones?