Author Topic: To the staff: Thank you guys for allowing us to use the word "ass".  (Read 16075 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: To the staff: Thank you guys for allowing us to use the word "ass".
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2003, 12:21 AM »
Allow us to say "b!tch".  Come on, open it up.  It's just another one of those PG-13 words, just like bastard, damn, hell, and ass.  They even say it on broadcast television, and if they can say it there, we oughta be able to say it here.

It's just common sense.  What if we have a "what kind of dog do you have?" thread?  Here's what it might look like:

"I have a three-year-old Lab bitch named 'Sally'."

"A three-year-old Lab what?"

"A bitch."

"A what?!?!"

"A bitch!  You know, a female dog?"

"I still don't understand. . .   ??? "

And so on, and so forth.  Could you imagine a "Quentin Tarantino appreciation thread", and how that might go?

Jules: What does Marcellus Wallace look like?

Brett: What?

Jules: [pointing his gun] Say "what" again. SAY "WHAT" AGAIN! I dare you, I double dare you, mother******! Say "what" one more ***damn time!

Brett: He's b-b-black...

Jules: Go on.

Brett: He's bald...

Jules: Does he look like a bitch?

Brett: What?

[Jules shoots Brett in shoulder]

Jules: DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Brett: NO!

Jules: Then why you trying to **** him like a bitch, Brett?

Brett: I didn't!

Jules: Yes you did. Yes you did, Brett. You tried to **** him. And Marcellus Wallace don't like to be ****ed by anybody, except Mrs. Wallace.

It just doesn't even make any sense, really. . .

So, in closing, Mr. Gorbechev, let us say b.tch!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2003, 03:18 AM »
I think we're probably just going to experiment with "ass" for now, see how it goes for a while, and take it from there.  Maybe we'll unleash another word or two later on down the road, depending upon how things go with this one (which I'd assume would be perfectly fine).

"Ass" was actually slipped back into the mix several weeks ago, and no one even noticed (probably not until I made a public comment to T-Bone Kenobi about it, I'd bet).  But if we do add some more "colorful" words back into the mix, it will most likely be done subtly, when no one's paying attention, rather than having one giant language filter burning party!   ;)  

But keep in mind, that there are also some adults that don't care to see certain words as well, so this isn't something that's just related to "protecting" the kids.  More about overall content really, since we've only got a very small handful of members here who are actually under 18.  But your points have been heard (and discussed), so we'll take them under advisement and see what we can do.

Now go get your asses back into some other threads!   :-*

« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 03:23 AM by JediMAC »

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2003, 11:37 AM »
Well, the FCC has approved the f-word for broadcast, so long as its context does not "describe sexual or excretory organs or activities." I say anything goes so long as no one's offended or intimidated.

Like I've always said, it's the context, not the content. My son got suspended for saying "testicles" in school. The administration felt that such sexually-charged language was inappropriate for such a venue and he was dismissed on those grounds. My argument was that his use was anatomical, not sexual. (A classmate dropped a pair of boiled baby potatoes into his lap in the cafeteria. My son pointed out they looked like testicles, an adult overheard, and he was sent home.) Maybe "balls" would have been better?

Getting rid of the filter would be an interesting experiment. I'm sure that, as this thread indicates, the novelty would wear off eventually and the language would go from gratuitous to more appropriate uses.

Language doesn't bother me, but how it's used that is generally offensive. That is true with vulgarities, profanities, or any other words, allowed or not.
Post sober.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2003, 04:15 PM »
Like I've always said, it's the context, not the content. My son got suspended for saying "testicles" in school. The administration felt that such sexually-charged language was inappropriate for such a venue and he was dismissed on those grounds. My argument was that his use was anatomical, not sexual. (A classmate dropped a pair of boiled baby potatoes into his lap in the cafeteria. My son pointed out they looked like testicles, an adult overheard, and he was sent home.) Maybe "balls" would have been better?

That's absurd. I can't believe something that harmless (and debatable as to its vulgarity) would warrant a suspension. How long was he suspended for?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 04:16 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2003, 04:32 PM »

That's absurd. I can't believe something that harmless (and debatable as to its vulgarity) would warrant a suspension. How long was he suspended for?

"Testicles"?  And he was only suspended?  Vulgar mouthed child should have been expelled!  Where's he learning such explicitly descriptive words anyway, huh DaddyPL?  Sheesh.  Kids nowadays!   ::)  I don't think I learned the word "testicles" 'til I was at least 11!  It was always just nut sack (or "my boiled baby potatoes") before that...   ;D

Don't tell me you taught him "scrotum" too John...   :-X

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2003, 04:45 PM »
I'm just shocked that your son said "testicles" instead of "balls".

Didn't know that kids really used that word these days. Could it be that he's polite, or could it be that the proper terminology for otherwise taboo words may be the new chic slang.

:)
Got Clones?

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2003, 05:16 PM »
How long was he suspended for?

Three days. The school was following the same policy I have at work. The only difference is the punishment. Because "testicles" is considered a sexual reference in the policy - which was written for an adult workplace and never modified for a gradeschool setting - he was automatically suspended for three days.

We homeschooled him the rest of the year. He's in a different school now, though it's the same district.

"Testicles"?  And he was only suspended?  Vulgar mouthed child should have been expelled!

They wanted to, but that's another story. Needless to say, I have little tolerance for knee-jerk political correctness.

Oh, and he was 10 at the time.

Could it be that he's polite, or could it be that the proper terminology for otherwise taboo words may be the new chic slang.

In my experience, no. He wasn't trying to "circumvent the filter," he was just calling a spade a spade. (He probably gets that from me.)
Post sober.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2003, 11:58 AM »
Well I remember getting in trouble in first grade for saying "underwear".  Granted I said it in kind a way to be funny.  They sent a note to my house and all that stuff.  My mom had to come into school with me after class one day.  I remember my mom getting kind of ticked  "You made me come here because Brian said underwear?"   Of course I was told not to say underwear or anything else that may be viewed as unappropriate.  But mom really just thought it was insane.  

Heck one time in Kindergarten they sent a note home to my parents telling me that I was not drinking all of my milk they were giving me in a little carton.  My parents still laugh about that one.  For starters it's milk.  Plus, it was horrible tasting milk.  The chocolate milk was great but not the regular stuff they tried to make me swallow.  LOL!  

Schools are odd.  They let some major stuff slide but minor stuff they go whacky over it.  Happens all the time.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2003, 01:13 PM »
Hell, I used to get notes sent home because I was drawing in class. Screw them though, I grew up to be an artist.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2003, 01:44 PM »
Wow. I take a 2 month Hiatus from collectiong toys, to concentrait on my other hobby (Halloween Home Haunting) and I come back, and everyone has a severe case of potty mouth. :(

;)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2003, 11:41 AM »
As long as I can say Bastard, I'm happy...  :-*

Yeah, I got into trouble on RebelScum for using the term "bastardized" which is a legitimate, nonoffensive term. I found it laughable that I got a warning for that. I spelled it out with hyphens so the filter wouldn't catch it and got an email warning me not to circumvent the filter. For "bastardized"? I responded, and never heard back.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Any chance we can see bitch added to the good list...as in all people do at toy sites is bitch about Hasbro
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
We'll talk about that one...behind the scenes, ass

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile