Author Topic: Yavin Wave  (Read 22841 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Yavin Wave
« on: November 19, 2003, 11:08 AM »
Click HERE to check out pics of Dodonna, Gold Leader, Tie Pilot, and Antilles!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 10:06 AM by OCB »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: New Figures at SW.com and Hasbro - Yavin Wave
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 11:10 AM »
Also, here's the link to Hasbro's "Republic News" story for this wave:

Yavin Wave

Also, it says check back in December for images of Ozzel, Bossk, and Dengar! :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 11:11 AM »
Nice!

Over all, an excellent wave, even though Antilles' head looks a little weird.

Red Leader - Best Pilot Figure Ever!!!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 11:12 AM »
I really like the Tie Pilot!!!!!! ;D :o
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 11:25 AM »
I am a tad bit underwhelmed...the head sculpts sort of look too unrealistic :-\  Antilles will look better with his helmet on I'm guessing....good stuff!

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 11:30 AM »
Also, it says check back in December for images of Ozzel, Bossk, and Dengar! :)

Does anyone really think we need a resulpt of Bossk already?  Kind of seems pointless.  Especially since he just got re-released in the TRU Bounty Hunter pack. ???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 11:30 AM »

General Dodonna

Gold Leader Pilot

TIE Fighter Pilot

Captain Antilles (Fans’ Choice #5)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 11:41 AM »
Ill tell ya right now, that TIE Pilot is as good as mine.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 11:52 AM »
Gold Leader looks great!  Nice wrinkledy jumpsuit look, but much better and bulkier than the previous attempt at it with Chipmunk Luke.  Helmet still looks a little big, but that's just the way it's going to be when it comes to removable helmets.  Hopefully (if rumors are true), they'll use this body for the Red Leader that's supposedly coming with that new X-Wing next year...

Dodonna looks nice, if not a little plain.  But that's to be expected since it's an accurate depiction of his character in ANH.  Comes with 3 medals.  Cool!  But why 3?!?  They finally giving Chewie one?   :P  I guess everyone (except the talented customizers) will hope for another Dodonna later on in his War Room coat.  That would be cool too, even on a minor character such as this.

Antilles looks VERY nice!  Yeah, he's got a bit of a bowl-cut hairdo going there, but it'll be concealed by that EXCELLENT helmet the majority of the time.  I'm stoked to finally see Hasbro get the large white stripe across the base of the helmet correct, which it had completely GOOFED on all of the previously released RFT figures.  Nice looking chin strap on this one too!  Uniform looks equally well done...

Tie Pilot...  So, you detail oriented folks with a sharp eye:  Is this an all new sculpt, or partly rehashed, or what?  What are the differences?  I see he's got some bulkier legs with knee articulation which is a good start, but has anything else changed?  Looks pretty sharp, so I'm guessing it may be some new sculpting there.  LMK!

BTW, are those all-new Rebel blasters there?  It almost looks like it.  If so, and if they're the correct size (finally), as they appear to be, then that's another excellent new addition!  The first POTF2 RFT's blaster was WAY too big, but the POTJ/Saga RFT's blaster was too small, so if they made a new one that's right in the middle size-wise of the previous two attempts, then that's sweet!   8)

As for the Bossk announcement - I agree.  Why?  He was pretty well done the first go 'round.  No complaints that I recall hearing from anyone really.  Just got another one in the BH 4-pack too.  Disappointing selection IMO.  But hopefully Hasbro will surprise us with an all new, and even better sculpt than last time.  Otherwise, this one's a disappointment.  Much better characters to choose from for that scene...

Looking good though!  A few years ago, who the hell would've ever thought we'd be seeing a Red Leader, Dodonna, or Antilles??  Let alone all of them, and all at once!  Most excellent.  Can't wait for this wave...   8)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 12:11 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 01:16 PM »

Comes with 3 medals.  Cool!  But why 3?!?  They finally giving Chewie one?   :P  

You know Matt, that might be true.  They're rumors floating around that Lucas is adding scenes and / or enhancements to the OT once they're released on DVDs and Chewie getting a medal might be one of them.  
Common sense isn't so common

SilverZ

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 01:25 PM »
I didn't know Captain Antilles was a 12 year old boy  :-\ Guess the helmet is going straight on that otherwise fantastic figure. The uniform looks great and there looks to be some descent arm articulation there to hopefully pose him in a choke hold by Vader.

Gold Leader looks perfect. Like everyone has mentioned, this is the best flight suit representation ever. The seperately molded pant straps are something that was definitely needed, but I never imagined they'd get done right in 3-3/4 scale, and they pulled it off.

Dodonna is cool, nothing more or less than what is required. Notice the HUUUUGE hands though?

TIE Pilot is nice, again, more or less what is required. Maybe there's more to him that you can't really see in the pic, like his articulation.

Overall, these are more winners for next year. It almost makes up for action features.  8) Almost.

I'm actually really excited about a new Bossk. If they use some of the same techniques that they used on Gold Leader, it could be a big jump in detail from the original figure.

I'm still bummed about the disappearance of scene-specific base pieces. If they made base stands like Hoth Luke's in every case, I'd probably buy extras just to build out scenese, for example, if Antilles had a white Tantive floor piece. Too bad about that.

J

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 01:59 PM »
I think they look great!

I love that Y-Wing Pilot.  I've already got plans to put him in my Y-Wing and take Hasro's first Rebel Pilot that came with it and use him for soemthing else...

Gotta have 2 of those new TIE Pilots for Vaders wingman scene...

Although, I can't wait to read what our resident RFT expert has to say about Dodonna and Antilles...

Will those customizers be able to use these for RFT and Officer Amry Building???

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 02:27 PM »
First of all, I'm as excited as a Gammorean in crap that we're getting a new Bossk. He's my favorite bounty hunter, and I've wanted a new version of him for a few years now. Suh-weet!  ;D

These figures look great. Yeah, Capt Antilles looks a little juvenile, but he'll have the helmet on all the time, so who cares?

Dodonna is awesome. I'm really happy to finally be getting this. It looks as though he can be posed in a talking stance with his palms out. What the heck else was he going to do anyways?

TIE pilot is awesome. Now its painfully obvious that we needed a resculpt. I love having army builders that can stand straight, so I don't have an Imperial Dance Party when I set them up ala the Emperor's arrival scene.

Gold Leader. I nominate this the new base for pilot figures. Awesome. And SilverZed, I think you're right about Bossk's flight suit. If they use this technique, it will look excellent.

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 03:48 PM »
Best news: New Bossk.   ;D

Dodonna:  Another boring old white guy.  He's awesome!   ;D

Gold Leader:  I really like him.  I always like pilot figures.  Now, if we can only get a Wedge with this much love.

TIE Pilot: I've been waiting for this resculpt for years.  He looks great.  One of my all time fave characters.

Antillies: Looks extremely young, but will look better with the helmet on.  Another guy I never imagined would see the light of day.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 04:06 PM »
Well, I respectfully disagree Spuffy.  A new Bossk is not good news, IMO.  This is one of the few POTF2 figures that was pretty good.  And that self-same POTF2 figure was just re-issued in the Ultimate Bounty 4-pack.  Not good planning, IMO.

If we were to get another Bounty Hunter in the Star Destroyer wave, I would have hoped for 4-LOM.  That's one figure that was in need of resculpting, with it's wasp-like waist.  The protocol droid sculpts have gotten much better in recent years (TC-14, K-3PO, Deluxe C-3PO, R-3PO), and 4-LOM's body is based on a protocol droid.  Just hold your POTF2 4-LOM next to the SAGA Deluxe C-3PO and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

The other choices in the Star Destroyer wave are good by me.  And with only 3 basic figures in the set, I think we might be in store for an Ultra figure for this wave.  My guess is Darth Vader with meditation chamber.

The Battle of Yavin wave is definitely a hit with me.  I like the sculpts and the character choices.  Dodonna, IMO, should've been done as a vintage figure, but that's me.  Antilles is my favorite of the bunch.  I like the work they did, and with the custom I made of Antilles as well as casting my vote for him in the Fan's Choice poll, I'm a happy guy.  Gold Leader is a good addition to this wave as well.  He's got signifigant lines, and plays a small but important role in the attack on the Death Star.  Plus, he was played by Rosie LaRose of Strange Brew!  That makes him cool in my book just by virtue of that fact.

It looks like they may indeed have sculpted a new Rebel blaster for the three Rebels.  A nice touch, since the one that came with the POTJ/SAGA Trooper was a little small.

The Imperial TIE Pilot seems a little odd, but to be expected from this wave.  Who else would Hasbro use to represent the Imperials in this battle? Pilot Vader?  Please, the POTF2 CommTech Vader serves that purpose perfectly.  As for our TIE Pilot, It looks like it might be a different sculpt than the one that's been issued with the three recent TIE exclusives.  The helmet looks slightly larger.  It definitely bears further examination.  The blaster looks like the smaller Imperial blaster that's been shipping since POTJ.

All in all, I like what I see, with the exception of the Bossk news.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback