Author Topic: Wedge Gunner Station Prototype?  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Wedge Gunner Station Prototype?
« on: November 19, 2003, 03:35 PM »
Way back when the 3 gunner stations were made, a fourth, Wedge, was rumored to be made.  Does anyone know how far this went?  Was a prototype made?  I seem to remember seeing one years ago but cannot remember.  Anyone?

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
Re: Wedge Gunner Station Prototype?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 10:16 AM »
Offhand I'm not sure how far this particular item got (if anywhere at all), and I keep forgetting to ask, but in addition to the Wedge X - Wing Gunner Station, I believe there was also plans for a T. I. E. Pilot  Gunner station as well.  I know of a customizer that created a  T. I. E. Pilot Gunner station on the card, but have yet to see anything in regards to either the Wedge or T. I. E. Pilot Gunner Stations in prototype form.

Robert
NOOMIVARR SECTOR
BLACK S. U. N.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 08:00 PM »
Of what I understand, I believe a prototype of the gunner station made it out, and images surfaced, but that was all.

Anyone have a pic perhaps?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 11:14 PM »
Did a search on Google, hoping to come up with an image as I remember hearing about this Gunner Station possibility back in 98. I guess with the failure of the line (remember the Luke, Han, Vader GS' clearanced out as low as a buck at TRU and KB) Kenner/Hasbro opted out on the next 2 entries. Anyways, my Google search didnt result in any images, but it did result in the following descriptions from German collecting site 4-inches.de and translated loosely thanks again to Google...

About the Wedge Gunner station...

Kenner planned still two further Gunner stations, one of it was a x-Wing Fighter cockpit with a Wedge Antilles figure.  This occupied a Kenner/Wal*Mart product list for the year 1998.  The list is very precise in the data and can being found therefore than authentically. (huh?) There is not available pictures or further information to this product.

About the TIE Gunner station...

For the Gunner station Subline originally five different products were intended, but only three Gunner station appeared.  The TIE Fighter w/TIE pilot Gunner station was not produced, although she was specified in a product list for the year 1998.  It would be very easy to manufacture, because but the Darth Vader's TIE Fighter Gunner station could be easily modified.  There is no pictures or other information to this product.

I'm wondering now in retrospect if the Wedge Gunner station got far enough into development that the figure wound up being put in the 1999 Rebel Pilots Cinema Scene....
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 11:30 PM »
For the Gunner station Subline originally five different products were intended, but only three Gunner station appeared.  The TIE Fighter w/TIE pilot Gunner station was not produced, although she was specified in a product list for the year 1998.

well, i'm kinda sad that we didn't see her, after reading that description  ;) .... female tie pilot woulda been cool.

I'm wondering now in retrospect if the Wedge Gunner station got far enough into development that the figure wound up being put in the 1999 Rebel Pilots Cinema Scene....

i would have to say no, only because the wedge fig that we got didn't have articulation at the knee, and if i'm not mistaken the other gs figs all had knee articulation, did they not?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 01:04 AM »

i would have to say no, only because the wedge fig that we got didn't have articulation at the knee, and if i'm not mistaken the other gs figs all had knee articulation, did they not?

Only the Vader had knee articulation, according to the image archive at Scum. I have the Han and I know for a fact he didn't have articulated knees. In fact looking at the pic on Scum of the GS Vader, it looks like it was the Complete Galaxy Vader without the removable helmet.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 08:42 AM »
After they cancelled the Wedge gunner station, Hasbro used the Wedge body and popped on a Biggs head sculpt.  That is why we got Biggs before Wedge.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 11:48 PM »
The Vader indeed did have bendable knees, and no removable helmet.   It was a strange figure, but it worked...  I am not sure however, if Vader's arms are the same with the downward sculpted gloves.  I don't have my figure handy to look at.

The cockpit was a nicely detailed set though, and it makes me wonder what the X-Wing would've been like...  Kinda neat from a customizer standpoint if you wanted to attach them to ships and h ave a full vehicle.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2005, 11:08 AM »

Kenner planned still two further Gunner stations, one of it was a x-Wing Fighter cockpit with a Wedge Antilles figure.  This occupied a Kenner/Wal*Mart product list for the year 1998.  The list is very precise in the data and can being found therefore than authentically. (huh?) There is not available pictures or further information to this product.

About the TIE Gunner station...

For the Gunner station Subline originally five different products were intended, but only three Gunner station appeared.  The TIE Fighter w/TIE pilot Gunner station was not produced, although she was specified in a product list for the year 1998.  It would be very easy to manufacture, because but the Darth Vader's TIE Fighter Gunner station could be easily modified.  There is no pictures or other information to this product.

I had neve heard about these. Sounds like they would have been cool back then.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 8, 2005, 12:51 PM »
Interesting, i dotn rememebr hearing about these.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 02:58 AM »
Both stations would have wound up being pretty cool pieces, just to customize into training modules for X-Wing or TIE pilots as described in the X-Wing novels. They're just one of the many casualties of the over exposure the POTF2 line suffered in 97 & 98.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 12:04 AM »
Shame that they didn't make those. I would have bought quite a few TIEs.
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."